1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Experience with Prep Schools??

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by HEARTLESS-531, May 23, 2011.

1. ysc

ysc Well-Known Member

I am not quite convinced by the evoltionary psychology/sociobiology explanation as you explain it TDP.

2. TDP

TDP Well-Known Member

Assuming I were to agree with your construct, I think there's a simpler explanation than this. The people in the class being climbed into don't like the 'climber' because they've seen his (or her) willingness to put his own interests ahead of those of his peers. Once he reaches your class, he's just going to try to step on your head and use you to further his own interests to move ever 'higher'. This is a person that's hard to like.

Thank you, I think that's very reasonable!

3. TDP

TDP Well-Known Member

I am not quite convinced by the evoltionary psychology/sociobiology explanation as you explain it TDP.

Why?

4. ysc

ysc Well-Known Member

Why?

I'm not saying there isn't a plausible evolutionary explanation, just that I don't think you have quite hit on it.
    I am at work, so I don't want to get into a long drawn out explanation/argument, but at a pure 'selfish gene' level there is no evolutionary advantage to moving up a class or two. At the pure gene level all that matters is passing your genes on and I think in most developed countries lower class families often have more children no? And most children born in the developed world live on to reproductive age regardless of the class they are born into. I don't know the stats for america, but broadly this is true.
    Certainly social climbing wouldn't seem to me to help you pass your genetic material on more effectivly in most of the developed world, which is the bottom line if you take the narrow darwinian evolutionary perspective.

If there is an evolutionary explanation it might lie more in the direction of gene-culture co-evolution and would be considerably more complicated. Describing any complex social phenomenon in evolutionary terms is very difficult, and you can never know you are correct.
    Well, thats my 2 cents on it anyway. I studied this stuff, but it was a couple of years ago now so I might be completly wrong.

5. SField

SField Well-Known Member

I don't think it has anything to do with any person feeling threatened at any level. It's having a distaste for a person that makes friendships and personal connections, and avoiding others, for reasons that are not genuine. It is calculating and if you are one of the people whose "class" someone is trying to climb into, you're wary of people like that as you have been all of your life.

6. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Well-Known Member

Amelorn, you have quite a bit more observing and reading to do if you aim to emulate America's so-called "social upper crust." The younger portion of that body is taught to never flaunt money, prefers final clubs, eating clubs, and fraternities to British universities, and drinks natty light over nicer beers.

7. Amelorn

Amelorn Well-Known Member

Amelorn, you have quite a bit more observing and reading to do if you aim to emulate America's so-called "social upper crust." The younger portion of that body is taught to never flaunt money, prefers final clubs, eating clubs, and fraternities to British universities, and drinks natty light over nicer beers.

I observe more for my own interest than to become a die-cast copy of that particular group (in relative decline anyway). And my observations, if anything, show that they are not cohesive and certainly do not follow those stereotypes if they're under 60. [Note: I prefer the urban industrialist and investor over the NE Mayflower descendent.] The only one I do know that holds with the oldest money is a tendency to limit flaunting. However, in certain instances, it's still a form of flaunting albeit not obvious to the masses. The younger people however show markedly less restraint in spending. However, having enough money to retire in Sophomore year may affect that. Fortunately, grandad taught me a certain frugality, so I never saw the value in certain status symbols (cars especially).