1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Experience at Bicester Village (Londonish)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dw3610wm, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Dw3610wm

Dw3610wm Well-Known Member

Hi there, I'm sure some of the forum members have been here and would like to know what their experiences are and what to expect. What attracted me to it is apparently it doesn't only have the normal UK outlet brands (i.e firetrap, levis, CK, D&G etc.) but apparently does Alexander McQueen, Dior, and some other interesting ones. Any advice is more than welcome!

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

It's easily the best outlet mall in the UK, but outlet malls are hit and miss by their nature. Still worth a trip.

3. Oleg

Oleg Well-Known Member

Not been for about six years (moved to Australia so it's no longer convenient!) but it was excellent. At one stage, half my wardrobe seemed to be from there and I gather it's expanded since then. Like any factory outlet, could be a bit hit and miss but did very well out of it over the years. Wish I had an equivalent here.

4. UFN

UFN Well-Known Member

For all out selection/variety I'd vote for Cheshire Oaks, but there are some very good stores in Bicester that you don't find in the other places (Aquascutum and Church's to name two). However, as Fidel points out it is still hit and miss.

/U.

5. Dw3610wm

Thanks very much guys, for the quick response. Yeah, I figured its been going for a while so it must be pretty good! Thanks, I may visit on Monday and will let you know how it goes! In York there is a designer outlet (http://www.yorkdesigneroutlet.com/) that does Giorgio Armani (Collezioni, Emporio and Black Label according to my guy in the Collezioni Shop in Manchester) Burberry and some other names, anybody have experience with that? Let me know! Thanks again

6. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

^ other than the armani and daks outlet, it doesn't appear to have any other advantages over bicester for menswear.

7. UFN

UFN Well-Known Member

Only been to York once and I wasn't impressed, but YMMV.

/U.

8. Dib

Dib Well-Known Member

I've been there 3 or 4 times over the past few years and thought it was quite good. Outlet malls by their nature tend to be hit and miss (and an exercise in not buying something simply because it is reduced), but I have found some good buys in Bicester. I prefer it to the outlet mall in Swindon (which is the only other outlet mall I have been to in the UK).

9. maxnharry

maxnharry Well-Known Member

I've been there 3 or 4 times over the past few years and thought it was quite good. Outlet malls by their nature tend to be hit and miss (and an exercise in not buying something simply because it is reduced), but I have found some good buys in Bicester. I prefer it to the outlet mall in Swindon (which is the only other outlet mall I have been to in the UK).

Am traveling to London next month. Is it worth a visit?

10. Dib

Dib Well-Known Member

Am traveling to London next month. Is it worth a visit?

Which one, Bicester or Swindon? I think Bicester is worth a visit, not sure i would go out of my way to go to Swindon though.

Btw, Bicester is not actually in London (I haven't been there for a while, but IIRC it's around a 1.5 hour drive from London).

11. supercarl

supercarl Well-Known Member

^ other than the armani and daks outlet, it doesn't appear to have any other advantages over bicester for menswear.

There was an armani and gucci outlet shop in Bicester opening "Autumn 2009" apparently when I last visited.

Daks outlet - used to be one in Swindon, not up to much

12. fox81

fox81 Well-Known Member

What's the loro piana store like at bicester? There needs to be some hefty discounting from them to be within my range.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Hi there, I'm sure some of the forum members have been here and would like to know what their experiences are and what to expect.

I live very near it, so visit semi-regularly. That means that the hit-and-miss nature of outlets doesn't bother me, but if I was making a special trip, be aware that other members are right and while there might be great swag there, it might not be in your size.

Both the McQueen and Dior shops are fairly small and lean very very heavily towards womenswear. Overall though, there are a lot of outlet boutiques you just won't find in any other shopping centre in the UK, so it's definitely worth browsing around if you have time. Bear in mind, it's also quite large now, having gone through a couple of expansions over the past few years or so, so to check out all the outlets you might be interested in reasonably thoroughly will take you quite some time.

What's the loro piana store like at bicester? There needs to be some hefty discounting from them to be within my range.

It's pretty good. Half my summer wardrobe is from that shop. [​IMG]

The level of discounting there varies, from about 50%-80% IIRC.

There was an armani and gucci outlet shop in Bicester opening "Autumn 2009" apparently when I last visited.

Not open yet as of about 2-3 weeks ago. Will probably visit again in a couple of weeks time. I'm looking forward to having a look around both of those.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Active Member

what are the stores there worth mentioning? I might make a trip down - i see they have zegna

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

what are the stores there worth mentioning? I might make a trip down - i see they have zegna

Ralph Lauren, Loro Piana & Zegna are all good, with some solid discounts most of the year (and some really good discounts more rarely, if you time it right). Pringle is good for cashmere sweaters, Aquascutum for their trenches and Ferragamo for shoes esp. Tramezzas.

Valentino and Dolce & Gabbana are surprisingly good, if you like their styles.

As I said before, I'm looking forward to seeing what Armani & Gucci have in their new outlets too.

16. Dw3610wm

Wonderful input guys, any chance of satisfying the needs of a 48 (Italian), S/M sized person in the outlets mentioned? Also - great news about Armani and Gucci outlets opening - hopefully it wont only be the exchange/jeans stuff and will include some of the recently brilliant emporio and always brilliant black label (Collezioni is pretty damn good too)!

17. loiclac

loiclac Well-Known Member

there is also Boateng there with sometimes amazing things like chienchila jackets. The shop is very very small.

I agree with what's been said but I must add that at gieves you will find basic shirts and other good quality ready to wear, a good collection of ties etc.

finally remenber that it is also a paradise for girls with a bit of money so if you are in couple noone lose the day.