1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Esquire Spring 2011 Big Black Book

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Thrifter, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

Walmart failed to come through for me tonight. I don't think Canada was behind the US last time...

2. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

What's a record?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Artking3

Artking3 Well-Known Member

Couldn't find it anywhere, hopefully will be out in the next few days.

4. Fred H.

Fred H. Well-Known Member

Meh. (Early review, more to follow.)

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Well-Known Member

Can this be ordered online for international readers? I can't find anything on the Esquire site unfortunately.

6. gwolf

gwolf Well-Known Member

what's the best hot weather blackbook? might want to hunt one down at bookstores.

7. JesseJB

JesseJB Well-Known Member

Searched up and down at the local Borders and B&N this evening- It is not out yet (or neither carry it).

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Read it today.

Meh....quite forgetful. Is this really the best that American fashion/style magazines can come up with?

Don't waste money buying.

9. Aaron01

Aaron01 Well-Known Member

Searched up and down at the local Borders and B&N this evening- It is not out yet (or neither carry it).

This

Read it today.

Meh....quite forgetful. Is this really the best that American fashion/style magazines can come up with?

Don't waste money buying.

Guess I'm not missing much then

10. superego

superego Well-Known Member

I went to look at B&N and Borders today as well...no dice. We'll see what's up next week.

11. Imhoff

Imhoff Well-Known Member

Date of Sale at B&N is April 5th. Checked and was disappointed it wasn't available yet.

12. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Just picked it up today at B&N. $9.95.

13. mrbrioni

mrbrioni Well-Known Member

^What b & n did you pick this up at?

I have a long flight to Frankfurt on Sunday and would love to have some good reading material.

14. Imhoff

Imhoff Well-Known Member

Hmmmm of course I live in a city that gets these publications late... thanks Phx.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Found it, flipped through it, put it back on the shelf. Like the last spring edition, there are superficial sections on cars and watches, which I don't care about, and too few that feature clothes I'd wear. They make a noble attempt to explain how to use bold colors such as royal blue and magenta, but my tastes are leaning more toward the CBD thread these days. Wrong point in the SF hype cycle.

I think, in fairness to Esquire, I'm just too set in my summer clothing ways. I'm more "rumpled linen" than urban peacock.

16. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

J. Crew must have really upped their advertising budget with Esquire. They're featured in what seems like every other "outfit."

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

J. Crew must have really upped their advertising budget with Esquire. They're featured in what seems like every other "outfit."

It is weird I think the best of J. Crew was what they came out with just before their media explosion about two falls ago. A lot of their patterns are overdone and the construction on their pieces is still the same as it has always been; lacking. They are becoming more or less a decent department store. I find myself going in to look at everything that is not J. Crew.

18. outline

outline Well-Known Member

J Crew in every other outfit? That's surely a "keeper" and money well wasted. I pre-payed online should've waited. I checked few places on the west side in nyc - nothing. In a horrible sea of american fashion magazines BBB is still a fish in a dead sea of overcommercialized monsters. I have to say it, I really like winter 2010 issue. I found something to read + few things surely inspired me. What else can you ask for?

19. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

I flipped through and passed. I'd pay $25 for something like this if it was really good. I suppose that's what Rake or Monocle are for but they aren't available at any bookstores that I'm aware of.

20. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I just threw out all my old Big Black Books. They're worth a look and maybe buying, but most of the content of abiding value can be found in Esquire's hardbound Handbook of Style they put out a couple of years ago.