1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Well-Known Member

Glad you like them! The Bakers leather is lovely, organic and interesting if slightly higher maintenance and more idiosyncratic. Its my personal favourite, though I really like the Sedgwick as well - its very smart, very even and very well made - horses for courses and all that Charlie

2. yoose

yoose Well-Known Member

Nice belts, how do you feel about the 3/4" spacing vs. 1" I feel like the 3/4" would be more useful, it does look a bit different at first sight though.

3. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

Charlie,

good looking wallets!

Most of the time I sadly have to handle change though, any plans on a wallet with a coin pocket?

4. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

I found the Oak Brown belt to be spectacular. The pictures on the Equus website is a pretty good representation and I thought the pictures made it look great. My expectations were actually surpassed when I got the belt as I find it to look even better in person. If anyone needs a medium brown/tan belt, the Bakers Oak Brown is definitely hard to beat. I loved it so much I ordered a watch strap in the same leather.

5. Equus Leather

Yes, probably but the wallets are a work in progress so no ETA yet - we need to develop one with a note pocket first and get them on the website etc - I'll keep the forum updated

Charlie

6. Equus Leather

Glad you like them :)

7. BWV988

BWV988 Well-Known Member

It is a bit more useful, but I also like the look of the closer holes as a change of pace. I wouldn't do it if you think you would have a hard time getting used to the look of it.

One thing I'd consider is how the closer holes affect overall belt length. The belts have about 4" of length past the last hole. Since my Oak Brown with 3/4" hole spacing still has seven holes, it should be 3/4" shorter overall (really, about 1" shorter when I measure). If you are OCD about using the center hole and having the same length of belt sticking out past the buckle, you could request a belt with 3/4" hole spacing and nine holes, making it the same length as a belt with regular hole spacing.

8. yoose

yoose Well-Known Member

that’s a good point on the sizing. I don’t think I would have a problem getting used to it. could you do me a favor and share what size you bought (which should be the length from the where the leather meets the buckle to the center hole, according to their site) and the overall length of the belt? thanks.

9. BWV988

BWV988 Well-Known Member

I ordered 35" for both. They both measure 35" to the far side of the center hole (the edge farthest from the buckle). The Oak Brown, with 3/4" inch spacing, is 41" and the West End, with 1" spacing, is 41-7/8".

10. yoose

yoose Well-Known Member

Thank you, I appreciate you taking your time to help me out.

11. BWV988

BWV988 Well-Known Member

No problem. When you end up getting yours, I'd love to see photos!

12. Equus Leather

To follow up the conversation about hole placement above -

We can happily do custom lengths and hole placements as well as hole spacing if anyone wants us to. Typically we have 7 holes at 1" spacing with the first at 4" from the point, the ordered size being the centre hole and the overall length ex buckle being 7" longer than the ordered size. Generally we keep the first hole at 4" from the point when we alter hole spacing or hole count for simplicities sake but completely custom is fine for anyone that wants somthing different - your belt will be made specifically for you so all the details can be tweaked to your hearts content. If you dont want to though the defaults are good and have worked well for a lot of people

Hope that helps!

Charlie

13. yoose

yoose Well-Known Member

hopefully it will be soon. i am still trying to figure out if I will have to pay customs for shipping to china. some of my friends have and some haven't. the import taxes can be quite high, so I may have to wait until i go back to the US and have it shipped there instead for me to pick up.

thank you for the info Charlie, if I wanted to specify spacing or something else, where would I go about doing that? is it in the checkout section (i only got to the cart section) or do I have to send you an email? thanks.

14. Equus Leather

Theres a Comments box in the later stages of the checkout process for customisation notes but also fine to drop me an email once your orders in if you prefer and we can chat through the details. Hope that helps! Charlie

15. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Well-Known Member

loving the belts, definatley going to order one quite soon - very interested to hear that 3/4" hole separation is available.

A couple of questions.

1) is there a custom up charge?
    2) on you standard belts what is the measurement from the middle hole to the near end?
    3) how many holes do the standards have?

Many thanks.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  16. Equus Leather

Glad you like them!

To answer your questions

1) No - they are all custom made anyway so no need for us to charge more for what we do anyway
    2) 7" on a standard belt from the middle hole to the tip of the belt
    3) 7 holes, so the middle is hole 4 and there are 3 either side

Hope that helps!

Charlie

17. Equus Leather

I thought I'd post a quick watch strap photo, we've done a lot of development work on them over the last little while and I havent posted any pictures for ages. We need to totally rejig the watch strap section on the website really..

This is an Oak Brown strap for a Panerai, hence the 15mm keeper, the Pre-V and the tubes. The stitching is light brown Lin Cable and the edges are mid/dark brown. The strap is 24mm wide and has an overall thickness of about 3 1/2mm or so with the padding. The photos never quite do Oak Brown justice, the grain is really brought out by the raised centre (IMHO).

[​IMG]

Charlie

2 people like this.
  18. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that's mine (just received tracking info from Dawn). It looks great! I know from experience that the oak brown leather is awesome, so I can't wait to receive it. I will be sure to post some pics with it mounted on the watch after its arrival.:slayer:

Nice work, as usual, Charlie!:thumbs-up:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  19. BWV988

BWV988 Well-Known Member

Very nice. For some reason I now feel compelled to get a Panerai so that I can buy and show off this strap. [​IMG]

20. Equus Leather

Yup - hope you like it in the flesh! I'd love to see some action photos in due course if you didnt mind.

We make lots of nice things for non Pans as well :)

This is a similar strap made for an Omega that has 17mm lugs, quite a tricky one if you want a straight strap given you (or at least I) cant buy 17mm buckles, hence the contour at the watch end. This is an iPhone photo so not as good as the one above. Oak Brown again, natural Lin Cable, 18mm wide and same thickness and edges as the above.

[​IMG]

Charlie