1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Equus Leather, Aug 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

Is there also going to be a snuff suede belt?

2. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Well-Known Member

Hi Winston,

I hope so - there seems to be some confusion at source as to wether its available though so I'm not sure yet. I'll keep the forum updated though!

Charlie

3. Equus Leather

Hello everyone - Dawn here.

There are some amazing photographs here that our customers have taken of our belts. I wondered if joiji, patrick_b, taxgenius and nicetohave would mind if I put their pictures on our Facebook page?

4. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

Welcome to use mine.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Please feel free to use mine as well.

6. Equus Leather

Thanks guys, much appreciated

7. Equus Leather

Just an update on this for the forum - I said we'd work expanding our range and we are, but slowly! We're working on bring in some European leathers, both Calf and exotics and some finishes, its proving a little tricky but we're getting there after a lot of research, hopefully at least. I want to source the absolute best, as we do at the moment, which can be quite difficult in a foreign language! Not at the prototype stage yet, but nearly, watch this space!

Charlie

8. malwear

malwear Well-Known Member

I know it's been asked before, but how do you recommend caring for the West End (in the Sedgwick leathers)? The belts are incredible, and I want to keep them looking as dressy as possible for as long as possible.

Thanks again for your dedication to this forum (and to your belts)!

9. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, interesting. Do you have access to any Cordovan?

10. MoldyBiscuit

MoldyBiscuit Active Member

waiting on snuff suede! *and exotics [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  11. cold war painter

cold war painter Well-Known Member

Indeed, I suspect that Horween cordovan would go down extremely well here. There are often questions on the Alden thread about belts to match shoes in whiskey/ravello/cigar/#8.

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

I also heard there were cordovan producers in Italy.

13. Equus Leather

The Sedgwick leather really benefits from feeding with a grease based leather feed from time to time. We recommend the one Sedgwick themselves have formulated, it really helps the leather age gracefully. We have it here but its available from a number of places that might be more local

I think cordovan would definitely sell, and if we were going to use it we'd buy from Horween - they by reputation make the best I think. Given our business started out making saddlery for horses though Ive always avoided working with shell - doesnt seem right for us to use it, though I havent a problem with anyone else doing so of course.

Got my eye on a couple of nice sources of exotic leathers mentioned to me by a member here and have just found some amazing and very expensive french corded linen thread in some amazing colours. Exciting stuff (to me anyway!)

Charlie

14. the_sulks

the_sulks Well-Known Member

It'd be great if you had started to sell Oxblood items too. However, I'd like to mention that I buy some English shoes (Herring, Barker, Loake) and their Burgundy is what you probably call Oxblood as it is redder. Here is the example.

I didn't know you can send a sample. Glad to hear it. What stuff are the samples made of?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  15. the_sulks

the_sulks Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a good idea to wear a burgundy belt with a brown shoes even if they look similar as it is no true matching.

16. Equus Leather

I agree, Oxblood would be great. When we can get the Bakers Australian Nut thats quite Oxblood, but at the moment we cant sadly. When we can get either bridle or calf Oxblood we certainly will. As far as I know there isnt a true oxblood bridle leather made in the UK at all though.

Our samples are just little offcuts of the leathers we use, much better to send the real thing than try to send a card with photos or something similar. For those looking for a watch strap or a Lined and Raised or something we send thread samples as well

If the burgundy was an oxblood you'd probably be right, but given its a rich brown I have to say I personally don't see a problem with doing it. The match may not be perfect, but your not going to get a truly perfect match unless you have a belt made from literally the same piece of leather your shoes were made from anyway - anything other than that that matches is just a pleasingly complimentary pairing so if you (or Patrick!) as wearer is happy its probably close enough :)

Charlie

17. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

I've always wondered about this, since shell only yields one large piece and the horses live a full life before it is harvested. I would have thought it is more humane than the process for cow leather.

18. Equus Leather

Very likely true, though I think the current economic conditions have changed things somewhat, a lot of horses only have meat value now so they arent protected by their value like the old days. Nevertheless, it isn't the ethics I'm uncomfortable with as such, its that we're horse people and it would feel wrong to use horse leather however it was produced. Irrational Im sure, but there you go! I don't have a problem with anyone else using or owning it, its just not something I want to work with.

Charlie

1 person likes this.
  19. Kroaker

Kroaker Well-Known Member

Just placed an order for two belts! Really looking forward to them!

20. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

You'll be happy. Mine have held up so well. Very versatile. You'll never be able to buy another normal belt again.

And makes complete sense Charlie! Just thinking it through for myself. I've always justified cordovan as being partially more human than its calf counterpart and thereby contributing to part of the premium I am willing to pay.