1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by NAMOR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Well-Known Member

You're being pedantic.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

admittedly, i know more now than I did 12,000 posts ago

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  3. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

:fistbump:

4. MRMstl

MRMstl Well-Known Member

Maybe he is, but not really. I immediately noticed what, to me, is a drastic difference in the spacing of the U-cap from the adelaide. I prefer the Vass' overall aesthetic as it looks more balanced. I think the Carmina model looks a little cluttered. I will reserve final judgement until it's actually produced.

5. gaseousclay

to be clear, I think both Carmina and Vass make wonderful looking shoes. I own neither brand but if given the opportunity to buy one i'd choose Carmina because of accessibility and variety. I'd buy Vass if it was more widely available. The Vass U-Cap is not widely available, and now that Carmina is offering a shoe that is similar I'd lean towards that one instead.

As for the Carmina lookig cluttered, are you referring to the amount of broguing on the shoe itself when compared to Vass?

6. MRMstl

MRMstl Well-Known Member

There was probably a better way to explain it than "cluttered." I don' like how close the u-cap brogueing is to the lacing brogueing. I can't tell if it's just because of difference in shoes sizes on the models photographed, or if the lacing goes further down the vamp on the Carmina model, but it seems significantly more compressed than the Vass model. I think the U-cap on the Vass model is closer to the front of the toe, which creates a little more open space. Just visually more appealing to me.

I'm sure it's the exact opposite reaction for others.

Carmina
    [​IMG]

Vass
    [​IMG]

7. spicycho

spicycho Well-Known Member

The vass mainly looks better because of the lack of broguing on the toe, and what's mentioned above. And the heel too. They should just copy the vass

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

This...I always prefer no toe broguing.

9. runningfrog

runningfrog Well-Known Member

Wow...I'd be up for MTO style using this burnished scotchgrain calf. Anyone interested in a captoe, PTB, or double monk?

10. gaseousclay

in that case, Carmina should come out with something similar to the Saint Crispin's 523

[​IMG]

11. MRMstl

MRMstl Well-Known Member

Really, if you took the Carmina version above and just got rid of the cap punches, and adelaide brogeuing in lieu of plain stitching, it would be pretty similar to this model already. Slightly different, obviously, but pretty similar.

12. aldenwear

aldenwear Well-Known Member

I would love PTB in this scotchgrain. Also like PTB in shell cordovan.

13. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

i'd be all over the hand tinted scotchgrain in the Carmina wholecut

or THIS without the toe medallion
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  14. OIx

OIx Well-Known Member

I

I've just purchased exactly this style in Barcelona shop - 3 eyelet chukka on Rain in snuff suede. Could post live pic later.
    Looks quite nice and dressy, but I think for perfect hatch grain autumn boot I would prefer less pointy / more rounded last ( forest / soller smth) + dainite sole.

15. runningfrog

runningfrog Well-Known Member

mmm, i'd probably be down for a wholecut in the burnished scotchgrain.

16. spicycho

spicycho Well-Known Member

I think the u cap MTO should just rip off Vass completely. I wouldn't want a toe medallion.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  17. hanoiboy

hanoiboy Well-Known Member

18. gaseousclay

TSM?

19. Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash Well-Known Member

Apologies for being late to the party, but does anyone know how I can get my grubby mitts (er, feets) on (in) a pair of black scotchgrain balmoral epaulet x carmina boots, in US 9.5, medium width? Is it too late to order these? Many thanks in advance.

20. stmaier

stmaier Well-Known Member

Since the WWII JL is a go will we get to see mockups this week (not that I really need to see one as I know I am ordering at least one of the versions)?