• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet x Carmina MTO

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Anyone up for a remake of the Burgundy Shell Cordovan Austerity Brogue Balmoral Boot?

diglett

Reaction score
Any updates on the Ruby Bal Boot MTO that is expected during February or March? delivery?
I'm really excited for this. I'm expecting (but not demanding, mind you) an early March delivery.
Anyone up for a remake of the Burgundy Shell Cordovan Austerity Brogue Balmoral Boot?
You know this order just went in like two weeks ago, right? The Scotchgrain bal boot was planned for a remake, and that still hasn't happened ~7 months after the original run.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Thanks so much to everyone who ordered the Terracotta boots! I can't wait to see how these come out. There's just two slots left, so we'll be submitting this order ASAP. Here's the link once more:

Terracotta Lama Calfskin Punched Captoe Boot

so the forest last, how wide is that?
I am a 8.5 GG and from what I can see the last seems wider than normal, but is it enough?

The Forest is a pretty true medium, but it can be ordered in a wide fitting as well. That's available on the preorder drop down. I've found that the wide fitting is a great match for a true single wide foot (and works for some double wide feet as well).

Hello,

I currently wear a UK size 9.5H from Church's, what would be the equivalent size here? Also, would it be possible to account for a higher instep when making the boot?

Lastly, how much would they cost, and will you be charging tax if I'm located in New York State?

Thank you,
William

A "G" fitting is technically a double wide. Do you find that you need that in other shoes or just Church's? And are the Church's that you take in that size a fairly slim shape to begin with?

And yes, we have to charge sales tax to any orders with a billing address in New York State.

I've heard that Carminas are lighter in weight than other high-end shoes, e.g., Aldens.  

Is this true?  If so, is it due to the absence of a steel shank?  I note that Carmina's detailed description of their manufacturing process on the website makes no mention of a steel shank.

Does anyone know for sure?

Not in my experience - and we carry plenty of both brands in the store. Carmina uses a steel shank in all of their goodyear welted shoes - which is every style that discuss here. The only ones that don't have it are the handsewn styles - like our "Hawthorne" loafer.

Carminas are lighter because of the ways most stores make them up. By default, they use a single leather sole which is lighter than most Aldens and many English made shoes (Trickers, heavier C&J styles). But these dressy single leather Carminas are no lighter than equivalent styles from Edward Green or Vass. Or Alden styles like the unlined suede chukka.

Since many of my customers prefer more substantial things like boots, shell cordovan, chromexcel, double leather soles, york soles, etc, our makeups are heavier and sturdier than most. Given the equivalent materials, they'll be just as dense as Aldens.

terracotta, terra-kopped-a

I've found it difficult to follow this thread (please forgive me if I am asking a redundant question) -

1) Are the shoes in the Forest last offered by Epaulet able to be preordered in a wide fitting (EEE)?

2) Are any of the other Carmina lasts offered by Epaulet able to be preordered in a wide fitting (EEE)?

I'd love to get involved with some of these preorders but wide fittings seem few and far between

EDIT - I see the most recent replies pertain to this topic, I'll try to figure it out...

Yes, we can order Forest in a wide fitting. Carmina designates this as "EEE."

PLEASE NOTE EVERYONE: Carmina "EEE" is not the same as the American "EEE" sizing. It's one step wide rather than three steps. The standard Forest last fitting is "EE" I know, it's confusing.

Presently the Forest last is the only Carmina last that they offer in a wide fitting. It's a great fitting and a great looking last, and the possibility of ordering wides makes it our go-to last for boot makeups. We've done the majority of projects in that, so there will be plenty for you to choose from.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
SUMMERTIME MAKEUPS

Hey guys,

We've still got time to do a great summer shoe. How about we move off of boots for a bit (with a promise from me that we'll go absolutely bonkers with boots for the Fall) and toss around some shoe concepts.

I love the idea of doing a loafer. And pulling off a spectator shoe could be really great!

How about this for two ideas:

The Carmina tassel loafer on the Vetam last is incredible. Great fit and a really fantastic shape. I found a pretty unique suede on Carmina's sample shelf. I'd call it "mist"

It's a soft greenish-blue-grey. Great pop color for warmer months and very wearable with chinos, grey trousers, and jeans. We can of course do this in something like snuff suede, navy suede, saddle shell, etc, but this color was really speaking to me.

For a spectator, how about something along these lines:

I LOVE the Austerity Brogue, and you guys were all very much on point when you suggested it as our first makeup. I love how this looks, but it's probably a bit dark for the timing of this delivery. How about doing it in a mix of burnished tan calf and snuff suede?

Last edited:

mrbrioni

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^

Would love that loafer in navy suede for the summer.

Spectator sounds amazing as well - maybe something with some more color? Like an off white suede?

Just throwing around ideas....not sure if it would look any nice.

I'm not sure if I can do another MTO though, the suspense from the Jodhpur boots is killing me! I'm waiting for both and trying to be patient!

thecool85

Reaction score
Yes!!! I love that mist color for summer! You think maybe we could do the string loafer in mist as oppose to tassels? I think that might sit better with some folks as tassels don't seem to be getting much love. I'd be down for either the string or tassel loafer. As for the spectator, I'd love to see at least one makeup in white and brown leather if there's enough support for it.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
You know this order just went in like two weeks ago, right? The Scotchgrain bal boot was planned for a remake, and that still hasn't happened ~7 months after the original run.

I was unaware, I just missed it!
baldy[1].gif

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas for spring/summer that does not include suede? Any of these ideas peak anyones interest?

Black Whole Cut Brogue could also be done in tan similar to below

Derby in Hatch grain

Hatch Grain

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those shoes are nice, but too similar to shoes I already have for me to buy. I would buy the whole cut brogue in navy/midnight for fall, however.

styleophile

Reaction score
+ 1 for a whole cut in navy/ midnight

When we floated this makeup about 3 weeks ago, there were a few folk that expressed interest...

Are we all still in for Fall '13?

Pastor

Reaction score

I'm really excited for this. I'm expecting (but not demanding, mind you) an early March delivery.

I hope that there was a reorder for the Scotchgrain Bal Boot. I was part of the reorder and Mike said he was expecting an early spring delivery. I'm looking forward to it myself and hoping that I get a few months of wear out of them before summer takes us over.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mike, are restocks expected to arrive with the next batch of MTO orders? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads