1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. neutrino

neutrino Well-Known Member

I started having second thoughts on what Walt size I should choose. I'm an overall solid 31 in rivets, the waist could be a bit slimmer, thighs possibly too. I've chosen to order 30 in last factory finds' madras Walts (aiming to let out a touch if needed), but I wonder if I should go for 32 instead and let it in. It's the 33" waist that seems too much for me - I'm around 31" in the waist. Need some help before the new stuff sells out...

EDIT: WHOA, that dude in the previous page rocks the sh*t out of Epaulet!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

I'm a size 31 in the Rivet Chinos as well. Most fit perfectly, a few needs half an inch or so to be let out. For the Walt, I go with a 32. I then have my tailor take in the waist and taper the thighs down a bit.

I've contemplated your thoughts before, ie if I saw a cool Walt in a size 30 on sale at a great price, I'd probably buy it to see if I can let out and make it work. If not, then my friend will get a cool Xmas gift, haha. My closet friends are built similarly to me. :embar:

3. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Also, +1 on Epaulet friends on closet maximization. I took out all of my chinos, and jeans and folded them to put in a different cabinet space. The only trousers on hangers are now delicate ones, and I gained muchos space!

4. applky

applky Well-Known Member

+1. Go for a 32. It's easier to bring a trouser in than let it out (although with the Walts, it's of course possible to do both).

Mike, quick question about the Factory Finds cavalry twills. I'm noticing that they're wool. Was the medium grey cavalry twill you had in the Walt a FWs ago cotton or wool? I seem to remember it being cotton.

Are these fabrics similar, or will there be more contrast/more sheen on them?

Wish I could check out the swatches in person but I'm out of town at the moment.

5. neutrino

neutrino Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. Well, I guess I'll be the one to try both 30 and 32 :)

Quote:Hmm, is it ok to store them folded? I don't know, because I'm a noob :D

6. LukeM

LukeM Well-Known Member

I wear 11.25D US in Clarks DB, do you think those Thorogood 685 cowhide in 11.5 will fit me? I want to be sure being that they are final sale.

7. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

I only fold the casual ones.
    [​IMG]

8. nathanl

nathanl Well-Known Member

Question about the more rugged Walt fabrics - Calvary Twill, specifically: if it dresses down a little bit, would it be better to remove the creases down the legs?

I typically wear Rivets, so that's where I'm coming from.

9. thirdman

thirdman Well-Known Member

Sounds great! How long til I can give you my money? :)

Also, for anyone with experience with Carmina and Alden... I've found that the Alden Barrie last fits like a glove in a 9.5. Has anyone who finds the Barrie a really good fit found one of the Carmina lasts to be a good match? If not, which last would be closest to the Barrie?

Thanks!

10. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Sizing down .5 should work for you.

11. chiggah

chiggah Well-Known Member

after navy chinos similar to wings and horns westpoint ones

currently wearing tagged size 30" for the westpoint but i believe they measure 32" across waist and im a true 32" as well

Anything from epaulet with similar slim cut and please advise the size too

12. applky

applky Well-Known Member

^ Rivet chino size 31.

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

. . . so compare your measurements to the one provided on the site?

14. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

+1. It's not rocket science.

I measured the waist, the thigh, and the leg opening and went with the best fitting option.

15. thirdman

thirdman Well-Known Member

In every last? Or a particular one? I'm mostly wondering which would be most similar to the Barrie... But yes, down .5 does seem to be the general rule.

Thanks!

16. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

ops wrong thread, delete.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  17. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Tried a single cuff on the Oxford Chinos today, but reverted back to double cuff after the picture. Would've taken another pic, but the mosquitoes were out in full force.

[​IMG]

18. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

My new ideal.

2 people like this.
  19. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

Ah, I'd be pretty sure that they're too small for you. At least by a half size.

Hanging up dress trousers (super 120's, wool/cashmere, brown houndstooth etc) is definitely the best way to store them.

But, if you're short on space, it's okay to neatly fold thicker trousers (tweeds, flannel, moleskin) and store them that way. Lighter trousers won't be hurt by folded storage, but you may put a small horizontal crease into them. Thicker cloths are going to be more resistant to this, so it's not much of an issue. I actually fold all of my flannel and tweed pants. Just do it along the crease and you're golden.

It's up to you. Calvary Twill is still wool, so it won't be that casual - not as much as a Regiment Twill for example. I'd love it with boots, but it's probably too dressy for sneakers or a really casual look.

That said, if you want to get rid of the crease, just take it to a dry cleaner and ask for a "side to side" pressing. Usually only costs a few bucks and it will knock the crease right out. Just be sure to continue asking for that in any future cleaning runs, as many dry cleaners put a front crease into wool trousers by default.

For a Barrie last customer, I'd recommend the Forest last as the best fitting Carmina last. It has a higher toe box and a nice round shape at the front. We run most of our boots and shortwings on the Forest. I think that it's one of the best fitting shoe lasts on the market, period. Most guys would size down a half from their Barrie sizing (ex. order a 9UK if you take a 9.5D in the Barrie).

Haha, mine too. This is a little Donnie Brasco meets Milano Gentleman meets 1970's Mick Jagger on vacation.

20. applky

applky Well-Known Member

^ Mike are the cavalry twills in the current Factory Finds the same/similar to the grey cavalry twill that you offered a couple of falls ago? I seem to remember those being cotton. Are the current ones (the gunmetal cavalry twill, for instance) going to have much sheen and/or contrast in the weave?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012