• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simplicio

Reaction score

I got the large Epaulet cozumel jacquard shirt and after putting it on real quick, I think the large size will work fine for me with the more casual shirts. The only thing that is a bit too big for me is the neck, where I'm usually a 15.5 or 16 (Epaulet large is 16.5). The point collar also looks kind of big, but probably OK. The torso (my chest size is 39") looks fairly fitted with minimal billowing at the waist, but I don't feel any of the tightness like I felt with the medium shirt. I'm thinking it'll fit better after a wash, so I'm definitely happy with it.

I have a 15.5 neck, and I also found that the Epaulet large shirts were a little big in the neck when I first tried them. But I discovered that a wash and a trip through the dryer will shrink them down to be just about right. I wouldn't recommend that anyone do this until you first try washing them and letting them hang to dry. But if it is still a little loose you could try the dryer. I now do this for all of my Epaulet shirts.

Kevk

Reaction score
Just wondering how close in color the Carmina chesnut shell is to Aldens ravello and C&J's for RL brown shell? I have the C&J Marlow/darlton wingtips and would like to aquire a pair of longwings/wingtips in a color similar to ravello. The Fitzgeralds seem like a really nice balance between casual/dress shoe. Easier to "dress up" than Aldens longwing and still can be worn with denim. Any insight would be appreciated.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Missed out on the tangerine linen pants last year. Will make sure I don't let this happen twice.

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a 15.5 neck, and I also found that the Epaulet large shirts were a little big in the neck when I first tried them. But I discovered that a wash and a trip through the dryer will shrink them down to be just about right. I wouldn't recommend that anyone do this until you first try washing them and letting them hang to dry. But if it is still a little loose you could try the dryer. I now do this for all of my Epaulet shirts.

hmm i am a 15.5/16 as well. sounds like i should go large...

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a few notes before my responses below...

SHIPPING ON SALE STAPLE CHINOS AND PEARL GREY CARGO'S
This past Tuesday, we packed and shipped about 20 units of these two items from my Brooklyn store. Our volume of online sales over the weekend was nutzo, and I totally ran out of boxes. I found an unopened case of USPS boxes in our basement - really old-school international ones from like 2007. I thought that we could use them if we covered up the international designation on the outside, but it didn't work. All 20 of the boxes came back to us on Wednesday as refused from the Post Office. Should have waited a day for new shipping supplies to come in.

As such, many of you received tracking numbers that look crazy and show your box as "delivered in Brooklyn." Don't panic, we've got it under control. Every item was repacked in a new box and re-shipped. The USPS tracking number won't update a second time, but it should go through without a problem and you can expect to get your delivery by early next week. If you don't have your box by next Tues-Wed then let me know and we'll get it sorted for you. Sorry for the confusion on that.

NEW SHIRTS AND TIES ARRIVED TODAY
Our Spring '12 Ashland ties and two new Epaulet shirts just arrived. You guys are going to love these. We've got a Spearmint Chambray shirt which is insanely crucial. There's also an impossibly fresh critter necktie with little sharks on it. I'll work to get this stuff online over the weekend.

LORO PIANA & FRENCH BLUE WALTS

Just found out that these will be a little bit delayed - we're probably looking at them coming in around 3/10 or so.

RIVET CHINO FIRST SPRING DELIVERY

Here's the lineup of our first delivery. We should have them here by the end of next week and posted online shortly after that. The duck canvas is a new fabric for us. It's a bit heavier than the regular canvas - though still lighter than a denim - and has a more pronounced weave structure. It's going to be awesome.

Graphite Canvas (restock)
Navy Canvas (restock)
Caramel Duck Canvas (new)
Indigo Duck Canvas (new)
Desert Duck Canvas (new)

Following this, we'll get a new delivery every three weeks or so.

RUDY TROUSERS
Our first run of Rudy trousers will be cut on Tuesday for delivery in about 3 weeks. If you want to get in on it, please PM Matt at leftofthedial to place your order. We'll do another round about a month from now.

Anyone have any comments on the durability of the Triton jacket? How heavyweight is it? Too heavy for Southern California? Anyone have more fit pics than just what's Epaulet site? On the fence about the olive one.

The Triton jacket is tough as freaking hell. It's a light-duty riding jacket and the waxed cotton is thicker and heavier than a Barbour - or really any other waxed jacket I've seen on the market.

Regards to the warmth, it depends on you. We've sold plenty of these to guys in LA and San Diego. I'd say that you'd need temps around 65 or lower to comfortably wear it.

^Tangerine linen? I don't think the wife is going to be happy about this.
And it looks like my canvas Walts should be on their way today. Should have them in hand early next week then. :)

Yup, the Tangerine is awesome! It's very close to the one that we ran last year. Look for it in late March.

Just wondering how close in color the Carmina chesnut shell is to Aldens ravello and C&J's for RL brown shell? I have the C&J Marlow/darlton wingtips and would like to aquire a pair of longwings/wingtips in a color similar to ravello. The Fitzgeralds seem like a really nice balance between casual/dress shoe. Easier to "dress up" than Aldens longwing and still can be worn with denim. Any insight would be appreciated.

The Carmina Chestnut is very close to the brown shell used by Crockett & Jones. The basic dyed skins from Horween are the same. Carmina finishes their Chestnut a bit lighter than C&J though. So while the C&J Chestnut is a pretty uniform medium-dark brown, the Carmina Chestnut tends to have a little bit of a red tone to it. More of a mahogany. The degree of this can vary from one shoe to another though.

Ravello is totally unique and exclusive to Alden. I've never seen anything new from another shoemaker that looks like it. That said, a well-worn pair of shoes in either Whiskey or Saddle can actually look very close to Ravello, especially with regular applications of polish and renovateur. Over time, light colored shell becomes significantly darker.

Last edited:

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike,
Will the Rivet chinos coming next week be the ones with a regular button fly instead of the metal ones? Also any chance of seeing the pre-order for the Cigar LWB on the website this week.

abam

Reaction score

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my navy service pants today. I was surprised to see that the texture is different from the green pair. Just need spring and summer colors now!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Mike,
Will the Rivet chinos coming next week be the ones with a regular button fly instead of the metal ones? Also any chance of seeing the pre-order for the Cigar LWB on the website this week.

Yup, we should be able to get those remaining Alden preorders going this week - I know that there's a few in the pipeline.

I got my navy service pants today. I was surprised to see that the texture is different from the green pair. Just need spring and summer colors now!

Ah yes, the Navy ones are canvas while the Olive ones were the flat UK twill. Plenty more to come!

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup, we should be able to get those remaining Alden preorders going this week - I know that there's a few in the pipeline.
Ah yes, the Navy ones are canvas while the Olive ones were the flat UK twill. Plenty more to come!

You know you have a problem when you browse a fashion board at work and goes to call up a certain shop in a restroom to order stuff!

Mike,

What colors do you have in the works? Also, when is the ETA?

Lastly, any new word on the Ravello Brixton? I hope it's within a month or less now! :embar:

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike-
When can we expect the Grass Green lightweight cords?

These are the only thing holding me back from grabbing the Racing Green Canvas trousers.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah was wondering what was going on with the tracking. Thanks for the update!

When you said the olive staples were cut a little slimmer, was this just through the leg or for the waist as well?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Awesome on the duck canvas Mike, probably going to grab a pair or two of those.

When do you expect them in store? I'll wanna come in and try em/see em in person as indigo sounds sweet but I'm torn on caramel and desert.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome on the duck canvas Mike, probably going to grab a pair or two of those.
When do you expect them in store? I'll wanna come in and try em/see em in person as indigo sounds sweet but I'm torn on caramel and desert.

Rob you are lucky, I wish I still lived close enough to the city to justify going in to visit the store and try stuff in person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads