1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

Hope that all is well! We're kind on on the same schedule as Styleforum, and in the midst of redoing our entire website. You can see the progress as we change it out:

www.epauletnewyork.com

The formatting will be wonky and a lot of sections won't be filled in until late Monday. We're planning the big reveal on Tuesday. However the backend is unchanged, so you can go ahead and order as usual if you want to buy something. Can't wait to get this all finalized.. it's going to be a much better user expereince all around, especially on mobile. After it's up next week, we're going to ask for product reviews, and I've got a really fun raffle idea for that.

As always.. any feedback is very much appreciated!

cyclohexane and LA Guy like this.
  2. karateisland

karateisland Member

Agh! Those were some tremendous deals--Too bad I missed out on the Dartmouth in a 40R. The new website looks good, excited to see what else you have cooking.

3. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Well-Known Member

New site looks great. We'll we be able to hover over an item to see sizes available? Always prefer that to clicking quick shop or the actual item.

And kuddos for featuring Palos Verdes (or at least the view from) on the front page! My home and the most beautiful place to live.

4. Epaulet

^ Thank you sir!

Yes, we're going to work on the size thing. We need our coder to:
    1) Hide sizes that are not available
    2) Provide a main navigation list of available sizes (either hover over or listed below). Probably listed below as that's more mobile friendly.
    3) Integrate videos into the actual product image gallery

Figure that's going to happen next week. We actually have quite a bit of new functions and creative to roll out, just trying to get the site looking good and consistent for the presentation on Tuesday.

I have a styling question for you guys. Coming from my old-school background in e-commerce, it was always a rule that main navigation pics are shot in a studio, to keep everything clean and uniform. I personally think that studio shots always pale in comparison to natural light pictures. It was a necessity in NYC as 40% of the year is unfriendly to shooting outside due to weather, but this is no longer an issue. I'm thinking to shoot EVERY single thing outdoors. I'll keep the background sort of consistent, but work to show the item in the best light. And we'll no longer have problems of studio vs. outdoor color.. where the outdoor color is nearly always more true.

What do you think? I kind of feel like Instagram has made these grids of somewhat dissimilar pics more "normal" for online retailing.

5. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Well-Known Member

@Epaulet are you guys still making your way through the remainder of the Hertling EFF? New site looks awesome so far. As well, I think shooting everything outdoors is a great idea. I know i've asked so many times for natural light pictures if I'm unsure of the colour on something so that will be a huge benefit to everyone I think.

6. Epaulet

Yup, got two more boxes to run thru, we should get to it all this week. And thanks for the feedback!

Nik Telford likes this.
  7. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

If you're shooting in good light, shoot outside. Your instincts are good, and it tells the story of who you guys are - who cares what the e-commerce rules are? :)

8. iamtripp

iamtripp Member

Echo other comments on the nice look of the new site. Also, if the examples of the outdoor shots of things so far after the transition to California hold true, I like the idea of outdoor shots. Natural light is very helpful.

9. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Well-Known Member

New site looks excellent! I'm looking at it on my iPad so I'm not sure if I'm enjoying the mobile upgrades or not but whatever I'm looking at is a big improvement.

The idea to use more natural light photos is a great idea. @Skoaktiebolaget started integrating natural light photos on the website and I find it very helpful to get a sense of the true color of a pair of shoes.

10. althanis

althanis Well-Known Member

The new site looks great, but I have to say that the front page reminds me of Suit Supply's quite a lot.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Ha. I had 12 hours of sleep last week!

Also, dammit, I should not have visited your site, because now I need these:
    [​IMG]

12. cyclohexane

cyclohexane Well-Known Member

I say go for the natural light pictures. Like you said, Instagram made it more acceptable to have grids of dissimilar things.

Also, remind me to put you in touch with someone regarding the studio colors issue.... though your bank account won't approve if you go that route. ;D

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

New site looks great! Only suggestion is to ditch the column table formatting for product description on the mobile site and move to block paragraphs. Here's what it looks like on my iPhone 5s (safari)

Attached Files:

14. applky

applky Well-Known Member

@peppercorn78 no columns on my iPhone Safari! Looks great to me.

@Epaulet I also think the natural light photos look terrific. It's worth trying for a month or a season.

My favorite new website feature is absolutely the ability to pinch and zoom on hi res images on mobile. You might have your coder reduce the size of or eliminate the right/left arrows that overlay the images, though, when you zoom. They're pretty big and distracting. But overall it's a terrific redesign!

15. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

@Epaulet in response to your query about photos...I prefer a mix, like what Bureau Belfast does -- studio shots for garments details, with a "fit pic" of said garment usually shot indoors but in an "artsy" setting like a warehouse. In fact, BB has probably the best clothing web site around, and I've probably bought more from them as a result.

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Having just gone through this type of stuff last week - it might or might not be possible on a fully responsive site, depending on the underlying software. Or it might just take a while.

17. Epaulet

@peppercorn78 yup, you're totally right.. we're going to manually reformat every item to remove the tables. Measurements will eventually come via a pop-up. And every item will have a 2-3 min video, so we won't need as much text all around

peppercorn78 likes this.
  18. slows2k

slows2k Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So these woven trainers are on my must have list. Sizing advice? They look like they use the same last as the tennis trainers. I have a slightly wide foot and take an 8.5 in the Sport Trainer, which it seems perfect, and I have a pair of the tennis trainers in a 9 but they feel a touch too big. I would imagine sizing down in my case in these would be good since they need to fit tightly, as there are no laces. Thoughts?

justinkapur likes this.