• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

neutrino

Reaction score
The Doyle looks awesome and might be something I'm missing. Would be great if I could try it on since I'm stuck between a medium and a large recently it seems.

Speaking of which. Some of you guys might remember me posting last year about how I failed to get a US visa. Well, it looks like this year is different
smile.gif
Going to spend Apr-Jun between SF and the Valley for work. I'm not sure if there's going to be a chance to visit LA/Santa Monica, but I might be able to swing into a NY store. It would be helpful to get a rundown on how the stock is divided between the stores. I assume all EPLA items are in Santa Monica, but for the rest of the stuff which NY store to visit first? I know they're close, but the timing might be real tight and I don't know if I can do both.

Oh, by the way, I'm certainly assuming that the embassy interviewer was fascinated by that grey buffalo check flannel that I had on
bigstar[1].gif

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Glad to hear things worked out this year @neutrino. I bet the embassy staffer could sense that the shirt was made in the USA, as well as being fascinating. :)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet I came to the thread to complain about the lack of a picture of the Doyle jacket with somebody actually wearing it on the Epaulet website but see you guys already took care of that here. Very cool looking jacket. I wasn't in the market for any more outerwear for the spring but may have to change my mind.

CPaul

Reaction score
XL epaulet shirt = 42 Doyle Jacket? Damn, am I gonna have to buy the Doyle and the upcoming denim jacket?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
been waiting all week for my grey Wilshire's to arrive and thought today was the day...well I just got a delivery exception notice from UPS and not sure when they are going to arrive. bummer :(

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Just got my Bartlett today. Feel like it's a little on the short side, what do you guys think?

There's a range of lengths that looks acceptable with a DR, and that's well within it. It'll look great with a t-shirt that's long enough to poke out the bottom.

Doyle jacket looks great. I'm intrigued by the idea of a softer jersey fabric.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So i have work I should be doing, but instead I'm here to see what the collective thinks about waxing a Doyle. I've got bunch of these Otter Wax bars from buying in bulk when refinishing a Filson jacket.

The notion has passed through my mind when there were duck Napolis on sale, and I've even thought about waxing a pair of Rivets. Never followed through.

Crazy idea?

Good news for Epaulet is that I am not going to do this to the blue version that's in the mail to me now. Would almost certainly entail buying a brown one to try it out on, though I have to say blue waxed canvas would be different... So maybe a second blue one...?

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool idea Frank. Wax an Olive one.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a waxed version and when I saw the Doyle, my mind instantly thought of "Filson" so I think you are definitely on to something Frank. I think the stiff duck canvas would lend itself to waxing very well.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cool idea Frank.  Wax an Olive one. 

I like the idea of a waxed version and when I saw the Doyle, my mind instantly thought of "Filson" so I think you are definitely on to something Frank. I think the stiff duck canvas would lend itself to waxing very well.

Great. I think I'll give it a try then and see how it works out. I don't think it can go too far wrong.

That's my wheelhouse. Things that can't go too far wrong.

:nodding:

Now I wonder if I can melt those Otter Wax bars or if I should just rub the wax on as intended.

Stay tuned.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Melt and Dip would be my approach Frank

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

So i have work I should be doing, but instead I'm here to see what the collective thinks about waxing a Doyle. I've got bunch of these Otter Wax bars from buying in bulk when refinishing a Filson jacket.

The notion has passed through my mind when there were duck Napolis on sale, and I've even thought about waxing a pair of Rivets. Never followed through.

Crazy idea?

Good news for Epaulet is that I am not going to do this to the blue version that's in the mail to me now. Would almost certainly entail buying a brown one to try it out on, though I have to say blue waxed canvas would be different... So maybe a second blue one...?

It sounds cool, but I'd probably advise against it for this run. Wax is pretty difficult to spread evenly, and doing it on a soft, washed garment like the Doyle is probably going to be really tough. When I've seen home waxing projects, it's usually a garment that was waxed before (with smooth, tamped down fibers to receive a re-waxing) or something rigid like raw denim.

That said, if you really want to give it a try, then drop me an email. When we do the next round of Doyle's, I can pull one for you from the production line and send you a "raw" jacket that should be easier to work with. If you can make it happen then it will be a really cool project!

And to that end, I could also look into simply buying waxed cotton to make the Doyle shape out of that too. I've got a contact for a very heavy cotton, along the lines of Filson's tin cloth.

been waiting all week for my grey Wilshire's to arrive and thought today was the day...well I just got a delivery exception notice from UPS and not sure when they are going to arrive. bummer :(

Ah man, that stinks! Sorry to hear that. UPS has really been milking the bad weather excuses this month. Hopefully they'll redeliver soon.

XL epaulet shirt = 42 Doyle Jacket?  Damn, am I gonna have to buy the Doyle and the upcoming denim jacket?

Yes sir, go for the 42 Doyle if you wear an XL shirt. And, yes, you're probably going to have to get both the Doyle and the denim jacket. They're pretty different, and that denim jacket (officially named the "Asbury") will be freaking phenomenal. I'm hoping to get it tomorrow.

@Epaulet I came to the thread to complain about the lack of a picture of the Doyle jacket with somebody actually wearing it on the Epaulet website but see you guys already took care of that here. Very cool looking jacket. I wasn't in the market for any more outerwear for the spring but may have to change my mind.

Ah yes, my apologies. In terms of workflow, I don't have anyone to shoot immediate fit shots of EPLA garments, so much of the launch images will be taken on the dress form outside. But rest assured, I'm a ball-buster on fit, so we never release anything that doesn't work in our general shape. Once the LA products hit the East Coast, the team there will trot it out to shoot our customary fit photos.

The Doyle looks awesome and might be something I'm missing. Would be great if I could try it on since I'm stuck between a medium and a large recently it seems.

Speaking of which. Some of you guys might remember me posting last year about how I failed to get a US visa. Well, it looks like this year is different :)  Going to spend Apr-Jun between SF and the Valley for work. I'm not sure if there's going to be a chance to visit LA/Santa Monica, but I might be able to swing into a NY store. It would be helpful to get a rundown on how the stock is divided between the stores. I assume all EPLA items are in Santa Monica, but for the rest of the stuff which NY store to visit first? I know they're close, but the timing might be real tight and I don't know if I can do both.

Oh, by the way, I'm certainly assuming that the embassy interviewer was fascinated by that grey buffalo check flannel that I had on 
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

If you're just going to wear a t-shirt underneath, then I think that you're safe with the 38. The Doyle is a bit less fitted than the Eisenhower.

And great news on your trip! My apologies that our government makes it so needlessly complicated for many tourists to come here. I always feel terrible landing in JFK and seeing the line of international travelers waiting to spend 3 hours of quality time with both the TSA and Immigration.

I used to ***** and moan about going to the UK and being subjected to their nutzo immigration process. But I'm really in no condition to judge. I would absolutely be the pot calling the kettle black.

Anyway, outside of that rant - definitely try to swing by Santa Monica when you visit. If the Valley means the Valley that I'm thinking of, then it's a quick trip to get here. Or you can take a 45min flight from SF to LA. Hit the beach! Just not in June, it's usually cold and lousy here then.

What happened to Rudy fit jeans?  Is the grey denim supply going to be used up before then?

The Rudy Fit jean will be named the Fairfax. Realistically, it's just going to launch in our 14oz indigo to start. I'll need to ensure that we have a sustainable customer base for it before we commit to more denim varieties and colors.

But, I can commit that I'm working like hell to make this the best fit that it can be, and to really offer something to Rudy guys that is impossible to find elsewhere. So even if you have an indigo jean already, I'm aiming to make this the best fitting indigo jean that you've ever had. I'll hopefully have a sample to show soon!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Rudy Fit jean is very interesting. I have a pair of LVC 501 (I wanna say they're '54 or '55) that fit a lot like the one pair of Rudy's I own. Most guys like their denim slim, but there is a sweet spot that the market is missing in terms of a nice looking, wider jean for guys who aren't toothpicks. I believe if anyone can bring a jean like this to the market...its EP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads