1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Todd V

Todd V Well-Known Member

Mike --

Will odd-sized Doyles be available via MTO? I recall this was a possibility a while back. I'm hot for the Olive one but I am firmly between sizes on them.

2. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

CPO shirt jacket came in the mail, and it's pretty awesome. I feel almost guilty about getting such a great deal on it.

Quick question: Since it's unlined, is it reasonable to try having it tailored? I was thinking about having some darts added in the back below the shoulder blades to make it a hair less boxy without restricting freedom of movement or making layering difficult. Sound like a reasonable idea, or does it sound like it'd just look stupid?

3. Racing Green

Racing Green Well-Known Member

It's 'only' a tee shirt but my God the indigo rinsed pique tee is amazing. It's funny how even (or maybe especially) the most basic items benefit from fitting correctly, being well made and in nice material.

It also got the most compliments I've had from my wife about a new piece in a long time, and that's what really counts. :nodding:

4. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

Japanese Bordeaux from the recent sale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The color on these is amazing in person.

7 people like this.
  5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

The color on these is amazing in person.

Giving these a hard look. What would one wear with it besides shades of gray?

6. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

Quote:
    The insole was perhaps a touch narrow, but length fit well for me

7. Cotton Dockers

For jackets? I would think blues, light browns/tans, white/cream should work. That was my first time wearing them so I don't have much experience to draw from. As long as you keep the rest of the fit pretty simple with enough contrast you should be fine.

8. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

Not via MTO, but we can do it as a preorder against advance production. I always have to make a minimum of 30/units a color, but we can easily tack on odd and extended sizes. Let's just wait on the Chambray's to be fully delivered and I can put in a reorder for olive and such
    Sure, it should be easy to have tailored - plenty of guys do alterations like that.
    Thanks for picking it up and enjoy that tee! I'm wearing mine today.
    Awesome. Great match to those shoes

9. applky

applky Well-Known Member

I know I know I know. I'm also wearing it today with seersucker Walt shorts.

The fabric really softened up after the second wash.

10. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Thanks, good to know.

11. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Quick q about jacket alterations - I'm fence sitting on a sale item over the chest being about .5 too small. I'll grant that might even be small enough to essentially be within the margin of error, meaing it might just be perfect right out of the box. But, if it isn't, the description notes:

I've never done jacket surgery to expand the chest, only to have it slimmed. What's the success rate on something like that - I mean, is it no big deal or is it a roll of the dice?

12. eljlakers

eljlakers Well-Known Member

Any specific thoughts on the tennis shoes sizing question I had? Thanks!

13. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Alex the Tailor somewhere in the Forum claimed that chest expansion was a no go, but I think because he said the material isn't typically there. But perhaps he is incorrect? Am curious about this myself, so if someone has done it successfully and has a pic to show that it worked, heh, I would like to know too. But trying to imagine it...how would you have to recut the jacket to do this vis-a-vis the arm/sleeve? It's not like nipping the waist.

14. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

Hi Mike! It's probably too early to tell, but do you think you're going to do a reorder the French Blue? I ordered a 35 in the Chambray and if it works out, I'd like to get the French Blue.

Also, how well do the 10oz canvas Doyle's breath? I'm looking for a casual summer jacket for a cruise next June … Rome to Monte Carlo.

Thanks!

15. hermano

hermano Active Member

Cotton, details on these NSTs please?!! best. Scott

16. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd say that we'll remake it at this point - we've sold about half of the available French Blue stock and it's not actually landing until Tuesday. I'll see how quickly we can re-up on the fabric.

The 10oz duck canvas breathes wonderfully. It makes for a true 3-season garment. It would be boss on that cruise (which sounds awesome BTW)

When you're saying chest, it's important to differentiate between the top and the stomach.

Alterations around the belly are usually easy. If the jacket fits you overall but is squeezing a bit right at the button when it's buttoned, then this is a simple thing to remedy.

When you're talking the top of the jacket, things are more complicated. You can relax that center seam a little bit, but this can cause the fabric to buckle a little bit around the shoulder. And a lot of times, that extra tightness around the chest is also compounded by tightness in the armholes, which is really difficult to change.

If you owned the jacket, loved it, and just grew out of it a bit, then I'd have no problem recommending that you try the alteration. You've got nothing to lose when it's up to being able to wear the jacket or not. But for something that you're buying with the intention of having to let out, it may not be worth it - even at the sale price. It's much better to buy something a bit too big and then take it in.

Hmm, that's a big gulf in sizing. Out of everything here, I'd say that Tennis Shoes have the clearest relation to the Barrie. I imagine that you'll either be a 9 or a 9.5, but I'd say that you're more likely to be a 9.

The fit of vans is not quite as consistent as Chuck Taylors. I'd say that most guys would get the same size that they wear in classic Vans styles (old school low, slip-on). In terms of new vans or the more skate-oriented styles (Half Cabs), it's not really clear where they stand.

17. Cotton Dockers

It's the Allen Edmonds "Bradley," in need of a good brushing. Picked them up in a thrift a few years back, I think they are only offered in shell now.

18. razl

razl Well-Known Member

I was indeed talking about about the upper chest - thanks for the info, appreciated!

19. lagsun

lagsun Well-Known Member

I might have missed it posted here but the Mocha Doyle looks really sharp. I might have to consider adding it to the Navy I already own.

[​IMG]

20. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Agree that it's breathable. It's a pretty open weave. You can see sunlight through it when you hold it up and it wears pretty cool.

Not sure if it's June Mediterranean midday sun cool, but then that's probably mostly beach/pool attire weather anyway. Should work at other cooler times of the day, I'd think, particularly with a gentle sea breeze. :)

And I want to go to Monte Carlo and Rome (and presumably various points of the Cinque Terre or Corsica or wherever in between...?) too. Just saying.