• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pistolero

Reaction score
Just picked up the Russet Nailhead and Taupe Fleck FF trousers, looking forward to these!

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike-
For the Factory Finds - how lightweight are the lightweight cords?
Can these be worn into Summer or are they strictly a Spring trouser?

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
I'm tempted to order the Mint linen trouser from the current round of FF to wear with my midnight blue Carmina Rands. The idea came from the picture below. Is the Mint linen at all close to the green pants in the picture and would it go well with midnight blue shoes? It's hard for me to tell the exact color of the Mint linen from the swatch online.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike-

Great FF lineup this time around. The mint linen caught my eye, as well.

Any chance that the new side tab model could be used on a FF custom order? I'd be willing to pay more for the extra work, of course.

Costa

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaulet

A grey trouser is definitely your top choice. Even over the Super 120s medium grey, I'd recommend these:

http://epauletnewyork.com/products/slim-walt-trouser-grey-merino-wool-side-tab

They'll be restocked in all sizes by next week. It's a comfortable trouser that's great in a range of weather. The fabric has a matte finish and it wears very well. The side tabs are a cool twist. The price is really great on them. If you're going to get one grey trousers, this would be my first recommendation.

---------------
Wow, those are nice. Two quick questions; when you say three season, I assume you mean winter, spring, and fall, correct? Also, where does the side tab fall on the casual to dressy scale? Unsure how it would look with a dress shirt tucked in and no belt to break up the outfit. I can't visualize it. I see these in the Rudy special order, and am ready to order. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A grey trouser is definitely your top choice. Even over the Super 120s medium grey, I'd recommend these:

http://epauletnewyork.com/products/slim-walt-trouser-grey-merino-wool-side-tab

They'll be restocked in all sizes by next week. It's a comfortable trouser that's great in a range of weather. The fabric has a matte finish and it wears very well. The side tabs are a cool twist. The price is really great on them. If you're going to get one grey trousers, this would be my first recommendation.

Thanks for the recommendation! On Thursday, I pulled the trigger on the Super 120's. I'm glad to hear that the merino side-tab may be available in my size again, I really wanted those but they sold out of size 30 by the time I got serious about purchasing. I've also been lusting after the navy micro-houndstooth … and now the dove linen :)

The 120's will be my first EP's, perhaps the first of many to come (see my list above, not including tweed, flannel and moleskin).

Thanks EP for raising the bar a bit higher for us all!

… and to think I only joined your mailing list last year so I'd know about your Alden preorders :)

bestak

Reaction score
Since i was far away in a cold area the "Chaîne des Puy" (center of France)

a packet reached my home

to deliver something very usefel to warm up

A good Chartreuse

Now next step is the taylor man

smile.gif

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone find the Epaulet shirt collars break in or stretch a bit?

I bought the medium spread collar and it's supposed to have a 16" collar.

My neck measures 15.5 - 15.75 but the collar is really tight (I can button it but it's too tight to actually wear buttoned).

I'm considering giving the Epaulet shirts another chance and buying a regular collar or button down but wouldn't mind hearing how people find the collars. Is my experience a one-off?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Maybe someone can help with this - I got a pair of the madras Walt shorts in size 32 on sale. I took them to a tailor to get the seat let out an inch (but keep the waist the same). If I wanted to get Walt trousers and just get the waist taken in, would I want to go up to a size 33 or 34? In other words, size 32 waist means I need to let out the seat and I'd rather get a larger size and take in the waist.
Go for the 33, should be right on for you. You might not even have to bring in the waist. Trousers/shorts like ours that have fully constructed waistbands tend to ride with you more, so the sizing isn't as sensitive as a rivet chino or a jean.
when can we expect "generic" colored linens? navy, tan, etc?
About a week or so. We'll restock navy, red, orange, and natural.
Just picked up the Russet Nailhead and Taupe Fleck FF trousers, looking forward to these!
Thank you sir! Those are both going to be killer. I really loved the Taupe Fleck, it's a unique cloth and it's going to be great for hot days.
Hey Mike- For the Factory Finds - how lightweight are the lightweight cords? Can these be worn into Summer or are they strictly a Spring trouser?
That really depends on you. Being corduroy, they're going to be heavier than most lightweight cotton trousers. Still lighter than a jean though. These kind of bright cords are considered regular staples at some of the Southern menswear stores, so people definitely buy and wear them in hot weather. I'd say that if you can wear jeans in the Summertime, then you can rock these. All three of those colors are a freaking knockout.
I'm tempted to order the Mint linen trouser from the current round of FF to wear with my midnight blue Carmina Rands. The idea came from the picture below. Is the Mint linen at all close to the green pants in the picture and would it go well with midnight blue shoes? It's hard for me to tell the exact color of the Mint linen from the swatch online.
Yes, it's pretty close to that. Maybe a bit paler in overall tone. They'll be bonkers with the midnight shoes (in the best possible way)
Mike- Great FF lineup this time around. The mint linen caught my eye, as well. Any chance that the new side tab model could be used on a FF custom order? I'd be willing to pay more for the extra work, of course.
Unfortunately not for this run, in order for us to make the FF's for this price, we have to use belt loops for everything. But I hear everyone on the side tabs - I've got two new trousers dropping next week with them. Leaf duck canvas Walts and a new brushed khaki cotton canvas.
--------------- Wow, those are nice. Two quick questions; when you say three season, I assume you mean winter, spring, and fall, correct? Also, where does the side tab fall on the casual to dressy scale? Unsure how it would look with a dress shirt tucked in and no belt to break up the outfit. I can't visualize it. I see these in the Rudy special order, and am ready to order. Thanks for the input!
3 season usually refers to a garment that can be worn almost all year outside of the extremes of winter and summer. Although you could certainly wear these then too. Guys in NYC certainly wear normal suiting-weight trousers in August and December, even if a flannel or a tropical is more appropriate. Not to beat the "versatile" horse to death, but these are far and away the most versatile wool trousers in our assortment. Great quality, good price, perfect grey tone, year-round weight, and hard wearing. They're an ace choice for anyone in the market for a grey pant.
Since i was far away in a cold area the "Chaîne des Puy" (center of France)
a packet reached my home
to deliver something very usefel to warm up A good Chartreuse Now next step is the taylor man :)
Thanks for picking them up - and your photos are great!
Do you think the Pumice color chino is versatile enough to be worn year round?
Absolutely. It's a great pale khaki tone. Probably a bit more suited for Spring through early Fall, but that's really khaki colored trousers in general. You certainly could make them work in a cold-weather look too.
Don't know if this question has been asked before, but will there be a re-stock of the speckled cream chambray shirt? Currently it's only available in XL.
Ah unfortunately no on that - we're tapped out of that cloth for the season. Got more shirts coming though!
How dark a navy are the UK sanded Walts? I'm looking for a dark navy cotton trouser and I'm wondering if I should go for the Regiment Twills or the UK sanded canvas.
Haha, yeah, it's pretty tough to tell online. Looking at them in person, both UK Sanded Navy and Regiment Twill Navy are both very dark. Almost the same in tone. UK Sanded is softer, lighter, and more luxurious... Regiment is at a really killer price now. Either is a great choice. Duck Canvas is definitely lighter and more blue than both of them.
Factory Finds look cool but I haven't attempted linen trousers as part of my wardrobe yet, so I should probably start with a safer color for the first pair. Any planned restocks of the navy or natural (or similarly-basic replacements) on the way?
Yup, we'll have all of that within a week or two.
I CRAVE for a chinos FF round. My wallet doesn't, though.
You and me both - I'm working on it!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
New Epaulet Shirts

Just in case anyone missed them, here's the new shirts that went online this week:

Buttondown Floral Stripe Jacquard: $140
This one is pretty gonzo - I really love it. It looks really boss with faded jeans especially. A guy bought one today and wore it out with washed-out jeans, suede loafers, and a navy sportcoat. So freaking good.

Buttondown Gauzy Blackwatch: $160
This was like a dream come true. I'm a sucker for blackwatch, and I found it in this gauzy lightweight Japanese cotton. It's perfect.

Buttondown Streaky Chambray Cotton/Linen: $130
You guys will love this. Cool, breezy shirt for warmer weather in a great streaky cloth. It actually have a subtle green tone which didn't come through well on the pictures, but you can see it in real life. We scored a good price on the fabric too, so the cost is great on this.

Cutaway Collar Blue & Lavender Gingham: $160
Beautiful, lightweight & dressy fabric on this. The pastel tones are killer.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mike for the buttondown streaky chambray, what is the breakdown percentage wise as far as cotton/linen goes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads