1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

Any plans on restocking navy hopsack wool Walts?
    Looks like size 32 is out of stock.

thanks

2. Simplicio

Simplicio Well-Known Member

This is just it. And bear in mind that a Harris tweed SC can last you for decades, as long as you don't plan to get too fat. As for being "overdressed", I stopped worrying about that a while ago. People get used to it and then they appreciate that you look good. As long as you wife will still sleep with you I see no problem.

3. ElementHU

ElementHU Well-Known Member

Just got a chance to stop by Epaulet SM today. Being new to Epaulet sizing, it was a great opportunity to see if I could make the Walt fit work and quite happy to be able to just size up instead of needing a Rudy. Great pleasure to meet Adele as she was a great help. Also a great opportunity to see some Carminas and Vass up close and personal. Will definitely have to get in on some Vass now that I know I fit nicely TTS in the F last. Great shop....excellent location. I think they'll be have great success out here in So Cal.

I picked up the Navy Donegal and the fabric/color was perfect for what I was looking for. Will be back to see the Nightshade in person when they get them in stock. The Donegal will be perfect for my October trip to London/Paris. Thanks for your help Adele!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

The guys told me that we have two Fall-weight jackets in "sueded cotton" - a navy one and a brown one. I believe that's what LBM typically offers as Moleskin. We'll have them shot and online next week. There's a killer wool-blend windowpane too.

Good question, I'm not actually sure. It was his shirt, I'll try to find out.

Still waiting on the swatches, but once we get them then we'll definitely post it up. The delivery is probably just a few weeks out.

Yes and no. Rudy's won't be available in the Wool MTO fabrics for Rivet Chinos, but we can make Rudy's in many of the cotton fabrics like ripstop, digicamo, duck canvas, etc. I probably won't build that out online, but we can always accommodate stuff like that on an individual basis.

Fantastic!

Not too soon, I'm afraid. That cloth is backordered until mid Oct.

Thanks for coming by!

And as a tip for LA guys - the metered spots out in front are generally taken. Montana Avenue has the nail salon / hair salon / massage place / facial salon / whatever the hell salon thing sewn up. So most of the cars parked on the street metered spots are doing that. I almost never score one of those spots.

The residental blocks right next to the store (12th between Montana and Alta or 12th between Montana and Idaho have 2-hour free parking. It's always easy to find a spot on these blocks, pretty much any time of the day. They've got some street cleaning days, but even that makes it easy.

If you're going to do a bunch in the neighborhood and want to park for more than 2 hours, then go one more block north (between Alta and Marguerita) and you can park for an entire day or longer. There's no restrictions there.

I used to use Esnipe for that stuff too.

Thanks for the note, and you're totally right - most guys will wear a Harris Tweed jacket as outerwear. With that, it's not a particularly formal piece. And it makes for a serious coat that can shrug off all sorts of horrible weather.

And I hear you on being overdressed. I'm currently that guy in Santa Monica. Everyone at the coffee shop must think that I have a job interview, or that I'm there to offer them a more competitive deal on cable & internet. But I've got to keep it reals! We're going to get all of Montana Avenue into lightweight sportcoats and goodyear welted shoes soon enough.

We actually restocked those a few weeks ago, but the 32's got immediately zapped. I took an exchange of a 32 for a 33 though, so we've got one unit available right now:

http://epauletnewyork.com/products/slim-walt-trouser-navy-hopsack-wool

Totally agreed. My staff and I are pretty much crazy overdressed for the neighborhoods around our shops. But if you're comfortable in what you're wearing then you'll feel good - and that's what really matters. It's nice to be a little counter-culture in that way too.

1 person likes this.
  5. Epaulet

RUDY SPECIAL ORDERS FOR FALL '13 FABRICS

Hey guys!

Okay, so we're going to try something new for this season. Rather than doing a week-long order period, we're going to take Rudy preorders on demand. Adele built out an item online where you can see the available fabrics and place your order. We've kind of overwhelmed the factory with Rudy orders all at once, so I think this will cut down the turnaround time significantly.

[​IMG]
    Special Order Rudy Trouser Fall 13 Fabrics

Right now we've got 7 fabrics available there, but we'll build out additional ones as they become available and take out others as they sell out.

In terms of availability, there's only enough to make a few units of Nightshade and the Windowpane Flannels, so I wouldn't wait too long on those if you like them. UK Donegals and Oxford Grey should hold out for a while yet.

1 person likes this.
  6. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

7. stmaier

stmaier Well-Known Member

Will we see the epaulet x Vass thread soon? Feel like I have not ordered a pair of boots in a while...

8. Todd V

Todd V Well-Known Member

Mike,

How thick would the Harris tweed SC's be? My experience with Harris tweed is that it is *thick*, like, much thicker than the UK donegal. Is it so thick that there is a need to size up?

9. Epaulet

1 person likes this.
  10. Epaulet

It's really thick. About 15oz, and far and away the thickest jacket that we offer. But, you don't need to size up. When it comes to sportcoats, the thicker the fabric, the larger it tends to be. If you order your typical size, you'll most likely have room to fit a thin sweater underneath it. Most guys like that, as it can be a true outerwear piece then.

11. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Mike,
    I may be looking to purchase a Double Breasted jacket. Can you comment on the main differences between the Navy Hopsack and the Navy wool 120's? I live in South Carolina and I want something that I can wear year round. I also wanted to see about the possibility of ordering Ruby trousers in the same fabric as the coat to make it a suit. Is this possible?

12. Epaulet

Hey there!

Sure thing. I would absolutely recommend the hopsack over the wool 120s. It has a more open weave, so it breathes better than the dress wool. It also works as a standalone sportcoat, whereas some guys would only wear the 120's jacket with its matching pants. Once we introduced the hopsack as a suit separate, it started to outsell the navy suit 2 to 1. And it's great for a warmer climate.

I actually have a Navy Hopsack DB with gold buttons, and it's pretty cool. I'll see if I can dig out a photo of it tomorrow. I wore it to dinner last night in Malibu and looked like I should have pulled up in a yacht. Rather than a Honda CR-V.

And for the trousers - we can absolutely make those for you in a Rudy. I'll confirm that they have more fabric (pretty sure that they do) and we can build that into the Rudy special order item.

13. Augustus

Augustus Member

I stumbled upon the LES store in NY last week and had an excellent first experience. I work in the area, pretty sure I'm going to be back weekly (for better or worse!).

I purchased my first shirt (grey sunwashed chambray) and the fit is perfect, except for the sleeves which are a little long for me. Is there a tailor in the area that anyone can recommend? I browsed the NYC tailor thread and it seemed like those recommendations were mainly for high-end alterations. I don't yet have an affordable tailor for the simpler stuff.

14. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

Stanton Street Tailor does good work, be prepared to wait in lines at random times though.

15. fridayfrenzy

fridayfrenzy Well-Known Member

For the sizing...the drop down menu says "Waist", but the measurements say "Size" with a different waist size (eg. Size 36 has a 37 waist size - so what do you put in the "Waist' drop down menu?)

Also, is it possible to get the measurements of sizes above 36 posted on the website for the Rudy?

16. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Tailoring Room

They're a couple of streets over @ Clinton St

17. OlafG

OlafG Well-Known Member

It's because they are slightly vanity sized. If you're a true 36, go with 35. But it's kind of hard to know your exact size without trying them on.

Here is a sizing table for the Rudy fit, unless it has changed:
    http://epauletnewyork.com/products/rudy-trouser-butterscotch-sanded-uk-canvas

18. OlafG

OlafG Well-Known Member

I really want to jump on a pair of flannels but I tried the Rudys in tweed in my size and they didn't fit me well, although the Walts in the same size in cotton is a OK fit. :/

19. fridayfrenzy

fridayfrenzy Well-Known Member

My point is that the the drop down says "Waist" when it may cause some confusion and should be "Size". The drop down for the other MTOs are "Size" and not "Waist".

20. asaa1000

asaa1000 Well-Known Member

Will the harris tweed be available for a slim walt order?