1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chris "Italia", Nov 4, 2007.

1. MGD83

MGD83 Well-Known Member

My 2 pairs of enzo wholecuts are great. The leather and finishing is easily on par with Edward Green, St. C's, G&G, and they are hand welted. Not saying it's better or worse, as I'm not an expert in leather. But, I have handled all of these above brands and I can tell you that to find a significant difference in finishing or construction is basically splitting hairs.

On another note, I really don't understand the appeal of a seamless heel wholecut shoe. Is that what will justify the extra $1000.00 ? The seam is in the back and it's covered by your pants. To each his own, but I just can't see why anybody would care about such a detail, or how that would be a deal breaker.

2. meister

meister Well-Known Member

All of the above.

3. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

The StC-shoes are more than double the price of EB. That's not a seamless wholecut though, if I'm correct, the seam is on the inside of the heel. If it where a seamless, it would be more than three times the price.

It's not design that's the reason, it's the idea of a shoe made in one piece of leather without any seams. No one will notice, not even shoe nerds, especially not if it's with the seam on the inside like the StC above (the replies here shows this very well, you can see the seam if you look close on the pics), if the shoe is a wholecut or a seamless wholecut. But the idea and knowledge that you own and wear a shoe without seams is worth the up charge in many peoples eyes. And the possibility to show people the fact that it has no seams, and tell them about how it was constructed... It's each to his own if you think it's worth it, just saying that the look isn't the important thing here.

I would know, I'm waiting for a pair of seamless bespoke from Maftei (though the up charge there is much less, just $250. In fact the price for full bespoke seamless Maftei is lower than standard RTW StC shoes, both with hollow shoe trees. Maftei seamless is at $1600 approx.).

1 person likes this.
  4. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Enzo Bonafé makes a seamless wholecut for 7800 SEK (inc. VAT). +15% for MTO. Also, Bonafé has a semi-bespoke program that I have not tried yet though, but I will during my next visit there.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. j ingevaldsson

Nice! You should add a seamless wholecut to your offerings Leaves, for that price they will most likely fly of the shelves. Must be the cheapest seamless ones around.

Also, you guys in the shop should get trained to take measurements for their semi-bespoke, so we can order that from you. Since my feet don't go that well with EB lasts, I would love this personally. What is the up charge?

6. sd2002

sd2002 Well-Known Member

May I ask how many visits are needed for Maftei bespoke? And do they offer MTO?
    Thx

7. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Yes this is a good idea.

[COLOR=FF00AA]It would be nice to know.[/COLOR]

8. j ingevaldsson

No MTO. Bespoke requires two visits, one for measurement and one for fitting. If there is much work to do on the last it might require a second fitting, but they can just send the test shoes for that in most cases. Price start at €1100 (first order with last making included, further orders €900) for hand welted. Seamless wholecut is €200 up charge.

9. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Quote:What do prices start at for bespoke GY-welted shoes at Maftei?

10. j ingevaldsson

They don't do Goodyear welted (very rare that that bespoke makers offers this), just hand welted or norvegese.

11. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

Is this only in person or do they communicate with pictures and test shoes like some of the other makers?

12. Stefan88

Stefan88 Well-Known Member

I think many say goodyear welted for handwelted, even though the two are very different.

13. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Quote:No, I'm aware of the differences. I was just wondering if there was a cheaper option than the €1100 starting price for handwelted shoes. For the record, I think that's a very good price as is.

14. Stefan88

Stefan88 Well-Known Member

Ah ok.

I believe some makers may have parts of the shoe made by machine, but that is as far as I know not too common. In Japan I know of one maker where you can have the sole sewn on by machine, which reduces the cost of 30 000 yen.
    If you have your own last made by Bonafe previously I don't think they would mind doing a blake stitched shoe, but can't remember seeing a goodyear machine there.

15. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Only in person when visiting their factory. But as @j ingevaldsson suggests, we hope to offer this service in store some day, I cannot comment on when though, as this requires quite a lot of training.

16. barky

barky Well-Known Member

Is there a test shoe for the semi-bespoke? Can we do this through Skoak even if we go there personally as payment and shipping from Italy might be problematic for non EU customers? Also, sorry to repeat the question here but do Bonafe offer hatchgrain and if yes, is there any sample to show?

17. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

Speaking of prices, have you had a look at Sleevehead's blog? The prices he quotes for bespoke clothes made in Sicily made me smile. If there are shoemakers still working on the isle, Bonafé won't be the best price-quality deal from Italy. Sicily being mafia area, likely artisans there don't pay much in the way of taxes. Only for "protection"...

18. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Your suggesting that cement shoes are cheaper than leather?:facepalm:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  19. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

I'm suggesting that perhaps there is a shoemaker or two still doing their thing in Sicily, making shuus by hand in a similar way as those on the continental side, but charging less for their time. This is why Sleevehead visits Italy time and again: excellent deals for those who don't mind the trouble.

20. Reero

Reero Active Member

Sicily does have just that, sandal makers there in Taoromina have been targeted to teach the trade to americans who then open up shop and start making these using there raw products and raising the prices, its only time when the shoes are doing the same so buy them while you can.