1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Entry level dress shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Geran Brown, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Snedley

Snedley Well-Known Member

You said you were jus out of Uni so I assumed you were 22 or so. It seemed odd that one of the first pair of shoes you would buy on your own would be the most expensive. Just buy a pair of AE Westchester in black and you'll do fine. They'll fit well and fit in well. If they're good enough for the billionaire mayor of NYC they'll be fine for you.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1607_1_40000000001_-1

2. jhilla

jhilla Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but this is the most piece of shit advice I've ever heard. Buy a pair of shoes because you absolutely love them. If that's a pair of Allen Edmonds, great. If it's a pair of G&G's, so be it. Just because Bloomberg wears Allen Edmonds doesn't mean they're great for this guy (although I appreciate BBG is repping American made). The things you should factor in are aesthetics, fit, construction, and the environment / situation. To be honest, the shoe purchases I've been the happiest with are the ones that I go, "Woah" when I first seem them. For some people that's obnoxious Corthay bright green single eyelet derbys. For others, it's tankers from Alden. Inform yourself as well as you can from the online forums and in stores, but don't ever take advice from someone who says, "Get these because so and so wears them". That's the quickest way to disappointment.

That being said, a well made shoe in your price range that I happen to enjoy for most of the reasons I listed above are Carmina. Check them out at their webstore and for purchase at Epaulet and The Armoury.

3. Geran Brown

Geran Brown Well-Known Member

I had to go back and read if I said I was just out of University. I'm been far removed from Uni it was just my style during the summer and work (very relax working environment). Thank you for the recommendation but unfortunately, I don't buy shoes based on who wears what. For all I know, they couldn't have any style or their style could be completely different than mine. Any mayor or rich person could wear nice shoes but that doesn't mean they are good shoes. :)

This is a great response and my two biggest factors for shoes is fit and style. If that means I need to spend more, so be it. At least I know my feet won't be hurting after hours in them and I will still look dapper in them :)

4. Snedley

Snedley Well-Known Member

Th eonly reason that I mentioned who wears them is because some people like to argue on here whether some shoe is appropriate for business. Also, AE comesin a wide variety of size.width and you"ll generally get a better fit than even with some very expensive shoes.