1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Engineered Garments FW 14

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Drinkwaters, Jun 27, 2014.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

It's a lot cheaper than the shawl cardigan, so by buying the vest instead you'd be saving money ;)

I've just picked up the button shawl in the orange/brown from another member who changed his mind, and the knit fabric looks even better in life than photos suggest.

2. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

I might take one later on in the season, it's 95 at near 100% humidity right now...

The fleece is super soft, but it will pill a bit. Still worth it, I think. There is also no inside chest pocket, which kinda made me sad.

3. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

All right. Finally put some skin in the game. Today's (Almost all) EG purchases.
    [​IMG]

We are lucky here in LA with now at least 5 retailers carrying the brand. Today, I stopped by American Rag, Threads and Needles and Tanner and sampled quite a bit. Here is a brief run down of my impressions (Your results may vary):

E-1: Definitely size down or you will look like a balloon. AR had the herringbone version. I would not worry too much on waist. I am a size 34 TTS and an M fits me well. Waist is rather big and can be adjusted by cinch and strings. The look - Sorry boys. On me, I have found it awkward and disappointing

Knit jackets: Big disappointment. They are thin (Which is good) but fabric really looks and feels cheap. Fit is ok, nothing stellar - a very boring piece in person. A bummer as I liked the look book pics. I passed

Fair Isle jackets - Shawl collar and regular: LA is flooded with the brown ones (Jacket at AR, shawl collar at TaN). I cannot warm up to the fleece fabric. Sheds like crazy inside. Fit is weird (See spoiler), shawl collar fits me better than jacket for some reason. L seems fine but perhaps too tight? All fits so far that I have seen here or online appear too tight. Sizing up to XL appears to be off with tightness in body, loose everywhere else. I know that you guys love this piece, I am not warming up to it.

Bedford: Could not agree more with @eluther : Pics made the moleskin look rather bland and I could not get into the brown buttons. I gave it another shot today and fell in love with it. It's perfect and, if I would not have already like 5 blue jackets I would have bought it. Size is similar (felt identical) to SS ripstop Bedfords. I saw it styled at Tanner over the long tattersall Dayton and olive Battenwear pants and it looked awesome.

Andover: Also fits TTS. I tried on the brown herringbone. A bit bland but there is a jacket without patches for you. I think the corduroy though could be a winner.

Long Dayton: I am in love. I bought it. Very thin fabric, crazy look, crazier under the brown orange knit. Fit is roomy/ TTS

Banded collar shirts: What's not to love. Fabric again is rather thin. I picked up the houndstooth plaid and love the colors

Orange/ brown shawl collar knit: Yes, yes and yes. Super big, super slouchy and super comfy. Not too thick. I was literally unable to take it off the whole time I was at Tanner when picking it up.

AR had an assortment of jackets and coats, including blue forrest coat, homespun reversible coat, a few coveralls, CPOs. They also had a big selection of the plaids. All of that left me rather cold.

As of now, I might be getting a Bedford (Homespun and/ or moleskin), a pant and shirt or two (How do the tux pants fit?) and the orange/ brown combi vest if I can find one in L. And I think that will be it for me.

Mike

Jacket in XL
    [​IMG]

Jacket in Large
    [​IMG]

Shawl Collar in Large. Seems to fit best
    [​IMG]

14 people like this.
  4. ManofKent

Nice pick ups. I do like the look of the fair isle but I'm not sure I'm tempted enough. The shawl collar definitely looks the best on you.

5. alex99

alex99 Well-Known Member

Great write up, and thanks for the honest feedback about what you did not like as well as what you did like. The banded collar houndstooth plaid has a really nice fabric and great colors. I have trouble taking it off though since the armholes are cut a bit high and I'm not used to a half placket. The shawl collar cardigan looks great. I need to call Nepenthes to get the versions they made it in. I wish they made it in the Orange Blue knit but I doubt it.

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

When you say knit coat, do you mean the homespun jacket? Because that one, to me, does look too similar to offerings from lesser brands (Uniqlo, Shades of Gray :lol: ) where you don't anticipate the same wow factor. Earlier 'homespuns' looked very impressive, adding to the confusion.

7. ManofKent

I was assuming the knit blazer i.e. https://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/2568/olive-jerseyknit-knit-blazer

I rather like the homespun bedford (not sure I'll resist): https://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/2373/brown-homespun-bedford-jacket

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Oh, haha, thanks, I missed that one. (Agree the homespun looks good in those pics).

9. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Anyone have anything to say about the bush shirt? I don't even know what price-range they are hah. Any iterations that have been particularly "clean/simple"(both fabric and detailing)?
    Haven't really seen them discussed here at all and while EG is cool it's too much "workwear" for me personally, but saw a really cool pic with a grey bush shirt the other day which has peaked my interest

10. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

Re: fairisle jacket

That's strange because I have no shedding problems on my end. The large looks good on you but I think it looks best open with popped collar, maybe one button buttoned but definitely not all of them. I will try to post pics today

11. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Ugh I want the long dayton so bad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also first time seeing this robe, I really like it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Awesome photos courtesy of loftman)

5 people like this.
  12. emprah

emprah Active Member

Has any Canadian stockists received the FW14 shipments?

13. Brattman

Brattman Well-Known Member

^Inventory and Haven

14. emprah

emprah Active Member

Thank you but I guess neither have the fairisle jacket.

15. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

thanks @mbaum for your thoughts, i was torn between the fair isle blazer and the orange/brown shawl cardigan, you just helped me to make up my mind. just hope the sizing works out now

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  16. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

Yes. MoK pointed to the right knit blazer/ jacket. They come in grey, blue and olive.

Man, I love/ hate that thing. The more I look at it, the more I like it. I think the blue color is better than brown. Please post one soon as there is still a L left at TBB should I keep changing my mind ...

You would be surprised the high amount of blue color/ yarn in the knit once you see it in the flesh. For some reason, this does not come out in pics but orange/ blue would not be a completely incorrect description for it either. Other colors include solid grey, blue, olive heavy knit/ sweater fabric.

Thanks for posting those. That was one idea I had when buying the long Dayton. It is a crazy look that I like. Felt like, I need to go back in my shed and build something or go become a nurse in a hospital. Loved it.

Mike

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. ManofKent

The Dayton work open like that looks great.

Not AW14 but has anyone got any views on the whipcord Lansdown from a couple of seasons back - sizing comparisons with the current wool Bedfords would be appreciated.

18. AlexanderTG

AlexanderTG Well-Known Member

Just browsing Silver and Gold as I'm kopping one of the subtler Needles 7 cut flannels and came across this T from AW14. Comes in four variations.

[​IMG]

Interesting that I haven't seen it on any of the stockists pages. Maybe they're keeping it in Japan for their own reasons. I dunno. Cool idea either way.

And yes, S&G will ship to the US. My flannel will cost $15USD to ship. Not sure what kind of customs might follow but it's worth it. Just for the hell of it I'll spoiler a pic of it. Cheers.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. SirMeowly

SirMeowly Well-Known Member

FYI for any Seattle folks. Went by Jack Straw and even though it's hardly been any time since their 2nd delivery came in (a week-ish, I think), all the EG is selling very fast. I was looking for S/M in a few things (dark olive wool andover, grey herringbone classic shirt, and some 30/32 sizes in various pants) and came away empty-handed. If you want a L/XL though, you'll perhaps be in luck.

Anyone know where I can pick up the olive wool cinch pants in 32? Nepenthes didn't have when I emailed, looks like TBB is out, and so is Jack Straw... oy.

20. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

^ Do you recall what they have currently/ Especially pants and jackets?

Mike