• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fylestorum

Reaction score
I have read about changes in recent years at Armani. Any up-to-date information on EA suit construction quality? How it measures up against Collezione? Fused? Canvassed? According to their site, they are all currently made in Italy. Any up-to-date info would be appreciated.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fused. Very much a fashion piece (not that that's a bad thing).

Armani Black label is canvassed for the most part. The canvassed black label pieces were the ones that have basting all over the suit.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So you would say that this poster was misinformed? (first post on this link)

http://www.styleforum.net/t/166925/zegna-suits/15

Probably just out of date; it's from over 3 years ago.

OTR Rank as of 2013:

1. Armani Black Label - Canvassed (retails for close to 5k)

2. Armani black label - Fused (retails for $2-4k)

3. Collezioni MTM - Half Canvass

4. OTR Collezioni - Fused

5. Emporio - Fused

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are buying a label not quality.

thing87

Reaction score

Fused. Very much a fashion piece (not that that's a bad thing).

Armani Black label is canvassed for the most part. The canvassed black label pieces were the ones that have basting all over the suit.

one of the sales person at EA said the suits are canvased... I tried their suits on and they fit amazing. My EA suit from 3 years ago still look new. Someone please let me the long term test for these suit?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The salespeople at Hugo Boss are specifically told that their suits are Canvassed but they are actually fused. I can't speak for Armani, but deliberate and accidental misinformation being given to shop-floor workers is pretty darn common.

If you are buying a fashion suit you must treat it as such. Wear it once a week for about 30-40 weeks and then buy a new season version. If you wear it once a month you'll get 3-4 years out of it.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I would second the comment above that you can't trust a sales rep to know anything about the product. I made the mistake of asking a rep at Macy's a few years back (before I knew better) if any of their suits were canvassed, and the rep said to me, as if I'd insulted her, "Sir, all of our suits are made of 100% wool!" I know it's Macy's, but I've encountered reps at Brooks Brothers too that didn't know what canvassing was. Had a similar experience at a shoe store where my wife was looking at some expensive shoes. The guy kept going on about how the shoes were made completely by hand in LA. I asked him what method was used to attach the sole, somewhat skeptical that $300 shoes (expensive though that is for a woman's shoe) were handwelted. He looked at me confused and just kept saying they were attached "by hand," despite the lack of any visible welt or stitching.

All that aside, if the fit and styling is to your liking, buy the suit. I have fused suits that have held up just fine for years. I just wish I'd known what I know now so I could have made a more educated purchase back then and understood the value proposition or lack thereof.

Last edited:

thing87

Reaction score
So guys, you guys really think Emporio Armani suits are that bad? I was really impressed with their fit and that's after trying E Zegna suits.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So guys, you guys really think Emporio Armani suits are that bad? I was really impressed with their fit and that's after trying E Zegna suits.

The fit of a suit is a very different thing from the quality of a suit.

A suit can be stitched entirely by hand (in an extreme example) and fit you like a sack. A suit can be entirely machine-stitched, with a glued/fused chestpiece, and yet fit you very well.

The fit of a suit is a subjective thing, as it not only depends on your shape, but also upon your preferences as some people like a tight-fitting suit, others like a more relaxed fit.

The quality of a suit is an objective thing, determined by the fabric used and the way that the suit is constructed.

fylestorum

Reaction score
Keep in mind that most on this forum would say that Z Zegna, Armani Collezioni, YSL and similar suits are "that bad" simply because they are fused. The suit may look great and depending on your usage, can hold up very well. But they are suits that are made with a cheaper production technique because it is cheaper and many customers are just looking for a great looking garment. If you wear a fused EA suit a handful of times a year, you will likely look more stylish and make a greater impression than someone who might have a very nice fully canvassed suit that just doesn't happen to have much flair or isn't particularly age-appropriate to the wearer. My point is that they're only "that bad" from a tailor's POV. Aside from subtle lapel roll and draping there are very few stylistic benefits to a canvassed suit. ALMOST everyone you see on the street, who appear stylish or not is wearing a fused suit. Just remember to dry clean SPARINGLY. Maybe once a year if possible.

fylestorum

Reaction score
Oh and invest in a Kent clothing brush. Most marks or dust and makeup can be brushed off without need to get the garment dry cleaned.

AlmostFamous

Reaction score
I won an action for a used Emporio Armani suit on ebay for a mere $100. I thought why not. Everyone is right on the money with their opinions. Incredible cut and silhouette. The actual construction though is extremely cheap. The Polo blue labels I own put it to shame in that regards. Completely fused, and the fabric used is just ok. One of those 80 wool/20 polyester blends. The fit though, the best I've ever worn. Would never pay retail or anywhere close to that for one.

AntLr

Reaction score
Emporio Armani - Rubbish Quality Suits

My first 'big name' suit purchase was an Emporio Armani in 2006. It was fantastic quality. Great fit - excellent quality and durable with that feel of luxury. That experience led me to purchase two more. However the next two 'Made in Italy' EA suits bought in 2010 and in particular 2012 were abysmal. The quality had simply vanished. The construction no longer had the feel of luxury and quality as the earlier suit.

Obviously, cost cutting and profit maximisation were a priority. Even little things like the labels and linings felt cheaper. The hanger and suit bag provided were very cheap and basic compared to the earlier suit (which had felt finish on the hanger and a thicker canvas like material for the bag (with carry handle)).

Back to the construction and quality of the suits....I paid approximately $900 AUD for each suit (40 - 50% off full price on sale) and what I got was:

1) Fused construction that bubbled across the front of the jacket (I only wear my suits once a week, resting them on their hangers afterwards. The jacket was never subjected to high temperatures, humidity or anything that would break down the glues used in the construction of the jacket). It was dry cleaned once only by a reputable dry cleaner I have been using for years for all my other suits.
2) The 96% wool, 4% elastane fabric began to deteriorate. Buttons could be pulled away from the trouser material almost like chewing gun from a park bench
3) Tacky EA branded gloss buttons
4) Frayed/loose threads everywhere
5) An unwearable, shoddy suit after only 3 years

Please don't be seduced by the brand name. I would strongly recommend you to find a reputable made to measure tailor that can guarantee canvassed construction and help you choose a quality fabric for your budget. The suit will most definitely fit better and more than likely be superior in quality to any of the big names can offer with their massed produced, off-the-rack drivel.

Photos:

Fabric is stretching and pulling apart like chewing gum

Note the frayed thread on the glossy EA button

96% wool, 4% elastane - Made in Italy

100% fused and delaminating

Obvious from 10 feet away

Made in Italy 'David Line' by Emporio Armani

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads