1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Eg stowe / lobb jermyn ii

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TimelessRider, Jun 16, 2004.

1. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

I used to think blue shoes for men (suede or otherwise), were the height of tastelessness. Until last year that was, when I discovered.....no, not Smirnov, but a pair of Sutor Mantellassi loafers in blue "cervo" (stag skin).

Alright, they were in a Sale and heavily reduced so I took pity on them and bought them. The shoes were quite cheap, they will not last very long (the leather is extremely soft) but as casual summer shoes go, they are rather nice.

That's the good thing about bargains, you can experiment.

2. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Well-Known Member

That's the guy. Â [​IMG] It's not the shoe colour I personally would choose, but it looked a LOT better than I thought it would.
    Why did you specify the brass brads? What is their purpose? It just may be something I might specify in the future, as my shoes wear very fast at the tips.
    That is what the toe brads are meant for, to reduce wear at the tips. I find that it does an O.K job, but nothing like a full metal toe insert. MtB, when you order your next Greens, ask them for the toe inserts, it is gratis.
    Thanks, I'll keep the full metal toe insert in mind. The fact that it's gratis just makes it so much the better... I love this forum: It gives me all kinds of tips and ideas I would never have known existed  [​IMG] . A very big thankyou to j, Steve B., and the contributing members. By the way T4phage, nice avatar. A self portrait perhaps?  [​IMG] How big is the blowup of the picture? O, and how are your Berluti's holding up? I have been on the lookout, but haven't spotted any likely 'candidates' yet... MtB

3. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

Talking about blue shoes these are most awesome. Blue shoes The SCRIBES are very well made. I had bought a pair in size 11 and they ran a little big. Went to exchange them for 10.5 and they were all out. I was very surprised. I have an identical pair in BRIGHT red. Wearing them with blue suits always gets comments. -

4. JohnMS

JohnMS Well-Known Member

Oscar,

Do you have a photo of the red Scribes you could post?

5. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Well-Known Member

jcusey - your Stowes are beautiful. Did you request a specific color for the sides of the sole and the heel, or did they make the decision to stain it brown? Anyone have non-catalog pics of Acorn antique? I'm looking for light colored 3-eyelet plain toed blucher, but I don't want it to be as light as that tan shoe referenced earlier nor as dark as Edwardian Antique. Not interested in light blue either. [​IMG]

6. oscarthewild

Learning how to use that new fangled digital camera. Where does the film go? May have to ask my 7 year old.

7. JohnMS

JohnMS Well-Known Member

Found the Scribes you were probably talking about. Nice. [​IMG]

8. JohnMS

JohnMS Well-Known Member

Perhaps this would be better with the navy suit. [​IMG]

9. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Dorian:

I sent them down to A Harris to take a look at. Hopefully he'll post the answer to your question.

10. oscarthewild

Nope, they are very much like Blue Scribes But ofcourse in read and not suede. -SZ

11. Steve B.

Doubt they're handmade as she claims, but they sure look nice. I have a pair of midnight blue Vasses that look like those and I love them.

12. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

You mean Budapests? Which last?

13. Steve B.

I guess they're Budapests, but on the Laszlo last...

14. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
    Yup, that's my good side [​IMG] . Actually I just copied a pic from a website. As for the Berluti's, they are doing just great, really comfortable. I've only worn it on the Fred maybe 2 -3 times and have gotten some complements on it. Have you gone there lately? Check out Eric's; they have a pretty nice sale on 3 to 4 Santoni Fatte a mano models from Euro 299 to 389. Including my double monkstrap, I should have waited..

15. Looking to improve

I'm planning on going top the Fred this wednesday (Day off...). So I might drop by Eric's and have a peek. I'm on the lookout for a pair of chukka boots in leather, but inexpensive, as I plan to use them for a jungle-walk later this year. Speaking of Santoni's, I bought a pair of dark brown suede chukka boots at Klijsen's last weekend. Sadly they were not on sale  [​IMG] . But perhaps you can clarify something for me. How do I recognise the REALLY good Santoni's? The handmade ones with the tan 'sock'. (Besides by looking at the colour of the lining of course...). By looking at the "Andrea Santoni - Fatte a mano" inscription-type on the insole?  Or are the clues more subtle? MtB

16. T4phage

Originally posted by Looking To Improve:
    Klijsen's had a really excellent sale in Jan/Feb on their Santonis, 50% off. Maybe they will have the same this sale period.
    Most of the Santonis we have here are the upper two tiers: the best being the tan socked, serrated edged, with the "Andrea Santoni - Fatte a mano" inscription going around the heel. The lower level is the one with similar inscriptions but in an orange sock. These ones are usually Blake or Goodyear lasted, while the former is usually Norwegian or Bentivegna. At Eric's they have the top of the line on sale (on the racks). I saw a antiqued dark brown "Dover" type split toe, my light tan double monk with a pseudo split toe, and a medium brown aproned derby. They also had several cheaper Ferragamos, etc.

17. T4phage

The ones they had were: [​IMG] for Euro 389 [​IMG]Similar shoe but Norwegian with antiquing for Euro 389, plus another which looks the same sans split toe for Euro 299

18. Looking to improve

I knew I should have waited for the sale... The Santoni boots I bought have a natural coloured lining, with the "Andrea Santoni - Fatte a mano" inscription going around the heel, but I can't find any serrated edge. I'm not sure how they are lasted. Would the written numbers from the inside be of any help for you to be able to tell the type? (I'll also have another real close look at the box [​IMG] to see if I can find anything helpful there). I'm also unable to find the exact model and suede leather combination on Santoni's website. The closest resemblance I can find there are these from their handmade collection, but mine are in dark brown suede. MtB

19. T4phage

Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
    What I meant was that the serrations are on the part of the sock where the "Andrea Santoni etc." is written, i.e on the edge. As for markings on the box, I'm as clueless as you. Most likely your shoes are norwegian construction, as is most of the top tier Santonis we get here (except for a few Bentivegna - which have an exterior welt on the side of the upper which extends down to the sole in an L shape).

The Santonis you provided a link to is available at Eric's but it isn't on sale. If you are going Jungle walking, I wouldn't go with Santonis, rather a more technical boot with gore-tex for waterproofness and breathability, plus some ankle support.

20. Looking to improve

I'll have closer look at possible serrations although I think there aren't any. Maybe someone at the workshop just grabbed the wrong kind of insole. (But... there was another pair in a lighter suede with the same insole at Klijsen's.) Â As for the welt, I believe my shoes are indeed not Bentivegna (no L-shaped exterior welt). No hope for a master class in shoe construction is there? [​IMG] Even with all your patient explanations and descriptions I still know I have a LOT to learn.
    I wouldn't dream of going Jungle walking with a pair of Santoni's, especially in suede (perish the thought  [​IMG] ). I was thinking about a pair of 'inexpensive' chukka boots by Van Bommel or Van Lier. I expect the walks to be short ones and NOT through the densest of jungle, so the chukka's might provide just enough protection and support and I can use them on a regular basis when I've returned ("Perfectly acceptable for saturday chores" [​IMG] ). Combining the useful with the nice, so to speak  [​IMG] . MtB