1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cwh812

cwh812 Well-Known Member

Thanks. This makes sense.

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Mind I move the thread to EG pics? Specifically, anyone have some pics of their shoes in midnight antique after a moderate amount of wear? I am curious as to how they well age. Thanks!

3. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

EG width designation is standard no matter where the shoes are sold. They do not annotate a given width with a different letter in different markets.

4. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

Exactly, i.e. the E width sold by LS or Leffot is the same as the E width sold in their London shop.

5. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Funny, I take an E width in EG but am normally a D width in US shoes.

6. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

Most of us do.

7. mrbrioni

mrbrioni Well-Known Member

Same here.

I was under the impression that E width in EG is standard D width for the US.

8. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

"Width" is a bit of a misnomer, as most people presume the term refers to the sole measurement (left to right). It is actually the circumference of the last, measured at the ball and other points of the last. The old term "fitting" would be probably more appropriate. In the old days a slim last was fitted-up with additional leather pieces to increase volume; this would also have increased the width of the sole with each additional 'fitting' attached.

The standard rule for the widest point of the sole is the ball measurement divided by 3 plus 10%. Let's do it metric (much easier than dividing inches) a circumference of 240mm : 3 + 10% + 88mm. The increase in circumference from one width to the next is about 5mm, which means the increase (or decrease) in sole width is about 1.5mm from one fitting to the next. Here is a drawing showing a particular last in a given size and different widths. The length remains constant, but the measurement at the widest point changes.

[​IMG]

Most shoe factories (maybe all) do not change the sole shape with every width. The soles are dye-cut (large cookie-cutters) and it is common practice to build two shoe width on the same sole shape (the wider last is higher but not wider at the base, so the wider shoe has more volume but not in every dimension.) EG builds D and E on the same sole shape (this was once confirmed to me by an EG employee.) So E is higher than D, has more volume but is, strictly speaking, not wider than D. I presume with American shoes, although I had that never confirmed, widths C and D are based on the same insole; than a wider one will cover E and EE.

Here is a drawing from a text book (Golding, 1935) comparing a typical English with a typical American last.

[​IMG]

The American one is wider in the base and shallower, the English one narrower and higher, giving both of them (more or less) the same circumference. I believe that distinction is still the case: American shoes are shallower (some of the Alden loafers can be extremely tight across the instep). So the EG shoe in D (same sole shape, but shallower last) will be closer to the American ideal, than the English E width; the American E width will be wider in the base than the standard English E, but they are quite close to each other in circumference.

I say that with reasonable, but not absolute, certainty as I have not access to the different individual last and so cannot get confirmation by runnig a tape measure over them. But I do not think, that I'm too far off.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
    6 people like this.
  9. cwh812

cwh812 Well-Known Member

Bengal-stripe- thank you. Very informative.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  10. ncdobson

ncdobson Well-Known Member

+1. That explains to me why I can wear Allen Edmonds shoes on the same last in both E & EE. Thanks!

11. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

This makes perfect sense, which is probably why English shoes fit me better because of my higher instep. Thanks, Bengal.

12. Macallan

Macallan Well-Known Member

I did have a chance to pop into EG today, all the shoes (in my size) I saw were the usual 30% discount. They had more shoes then expected (all the shelves were full of shoes), either they had a lot more shoes on sale this summer or it has been a quiet period for them.

I was disappointed by the lack of black options in my size and width, many in dark brown and a few in blue two; I purchased a pair of their wool socks, anyone know who makes them?

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Edward Green stocks Gallo socks (possibly the only store in London to carry Gallo).

But whether all of EG's socks are made by Gallo (or only certain designs), I wouldn't know.

14. Macallan

They are made in Italy, which probably means they are made by Gallo; I did not check the cashmere socks.

15. Macallan

EG have confirmed current socks are Bresciani-made, they no longer stock Gallo socks.

16. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

17. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Nice combo. Iunno about the double soles, tho.

18. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

unique

19. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Well-Known Member

Just a quick heads up to any EG fans who might not yet know:

Leffot have got up to 30% selected EG models on their online store so give them a look if you're interested

20. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

I agree. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but you won't run into others anywhere.