1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Thanks. I can't get over how comfortable they are.

2. michaelvl

michaelvl Well-Known Member

I believe this model is actually called: Southwold
    Wear them well!

1 person likes this.
  3. Al B4B

Al B4B Member

Hello folks, I joined this blog a while back to celebrate my passion for shoes in general- and EG and Vass in particular. I got guidance on my first few pairs and I am enjoying a pair of Chelsea and Epsom - 82 last. Recently I was thinking to add a new pair, but then I saw the price hike. I got my Chelsea a little over a year ago for gbp765 and now they sell for gbp900. I do love them, but i feel that now that is just too much and that the value is not there anymore. I wanted to gather your opinion on this - maybe someone in the knowledge can shed some light on this large hike in a little more than a year

4. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

Buy more before they reach a thousand pounds price by the end of 2017!!1

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    2 people like this.
  5. grc1

grc1 Well-Known Member

The pound is weak - great for export, but means import costs for raw materials are more expensive. At some point, price increase is inevitable.

6. Averroes1198

Averroes1198 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. supern0va

supern0va Well-Known Member

Yes you are right! My bad!

8. ADub

ADub Well-Known Member

First pair of Edward Green so it had to be the Galway for me. Credit to @MrVenneri for all his help.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

I havent posted here in a while, but the thread is looking strong gents!

10. TtownMD

TtownMD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chelsea Country Calf !!

6 people like this.
  11. cypi2

cypi2 Well-Known Member

I will not pretend to have enough knowledge to explain EG’s recent (of the past 3 years or so) and successive price hikes. There are certainly many factors at play of which the British pound’s loss in value is one as @grc1 explains. Neither will I try to elucidate why expensive "things" are expensive because as @MrVenneri once suggested it is never-ending speculation, and in the end, people's thresholds (i.e., what they are willing to pay for something) differ.

But, I can completely relate to your feeling of having a hard time rationalizing buying shoes for which I paid substantially less just a year or two ago while nothing about the shoes has truly changed. Indeed, Edward Green has long been one of my favorite shoe makers, but, I am having ever greater difficulty agreeing to pay significantly more money to get RTW shoes today than I paid two or three years ago to get MTO shoes when nothing about the shoes or the way they are made has changed.

One factor that contributed to change the way I think about this has been reading @DWFII threads on shoes’ construction. It has opened me to a whole other type of shoe makers and shoes. And, this is personal, but, I get more satisfaction knowing that I support artisans who in theory make better constructed shoes which in my eyes have absolutely nothing to envy EG’s shoes aesthetically speaking and who sell them for relatively lower prices than EG sell theirs.

Now, to be completely honest, I continue to enjoy wearing EG shoes very much and I have not completely stopped buying them. But, I look for opportunities to buy them at prices which make sense to me and which I am willing to pay. There are such opportunities on this forum or on eBay or through retailers that are destocking and particularly so if one is looking for classic models such as the Chelsea. It is true that I no longer buy as many pairs of EG shoes as I used to buy, but, this is compensated by buying shoes from the artisans aforementioned.

I do understand and respect the fact that for others buying EG shoes at their current prices makes sense because, in the end, EG shoes are lovable shoes notwithstanding their price.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    3 people like this.
  12. coldinboston

coldinboston Well-Known Member

Is this recent hike only in the EU market?
    The USD prices on EG website remain the same as far as i can tell.

Edit:wonder if a USA price hike is also in the works. Prices here are already inflated compared to EU

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

beautiful

14. TtownMD

^^^^^^thank you !!

15. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Another home run, Tt - I didn't realize that Ridgeway is softer than Dainite. I also find D. too hard after awhile. :slayer:

16. TtownMD

For me Danite gets uncomfortable end of a day or walking in concrete side walk etc & thank you [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  17. Maximus Rex

Maximus Rex Well-Known Member

From Leffot?

18. TtownMD

Yes sir

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  19. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about something like this in black-- maybe the Malvern or Falkirk, with Ridgeway and with or without storm welts.

Leffot had a nice prototype of this idea in a G&G Rothschild and while I prefer the look of that one, I don't fit so well in G&G's lasts.

20. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Trick Shot Tuesday?

4 people like this.