• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This post from a week or so ago garnered a good amount of attention. I have a similar issue on which I'd like to get the group's opinion. Below are the heel counters of a pair of DOAK Dovers and DOAK/CC Galways that are new. These are my first pairs of EGs and I am by no means a leather or fine shoe expert. Does this look like a finishing issue that can be fixed with some nourishing cream or does it look like some damaged leather?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Return them for an exchange if it is bothering you a lot, not sure who your retailer is but this is a type of ( subs shoes) that I would expect to pick up from the factory sale. Although a few creases on the leather really does not bother me if I paid half price for them but if you paid full price then have them exchanged for something else.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again and again??. I just ordered my pair of Dovers. If they come in such a condition I will return them no matter is the cracked leather or finishing. Too much money to have a small single flaw.
angry.gif

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is cracked finishing. Use wax or Reno (!!!) to get it fixed.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I don't own EG, but I've more or less ruined a pair of crust leather shoes by using Renovateur for a few months. I think it was dddress that said it strips the finish, as seen **********, and that has been my experience as well. I've managed to darken them again with a mix of brown and black cream/wax, but the gentle antiquing or mottled effect is all together gone.

I use Bick4 now and I've never experienced any problems with seeing the factory finish come off **********. I purchased another pair with the same crust leather in the same color, and there was no color ********** after using Bick4. I personally won't use Renovateur again, and especially not on new shoes. I will use Bick4 on new and old leather.

Bick4 works great against those small water marks, works for me. It's a great product in many regards.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own EG, but I've more or less ruined a pair of crust leather shoes by using Renovateur for a few months. I think it was dddress that said it strips the finish, as seen **********, and that has been my experience as well. I've managed to darken them again with a mix of brown and black cream/wax, but the gentle antiquing or mottled effect is all together gone.

I use Bick4 now and I've never experienced any problems with seeing the factory finish come off **********. I purchased another pair with the same crust leather in the same color, and there was no color ********** after using Bick4. I personally won't use Renovateur again, and especially not on new shoes. I will use Bick4 on new and old leather.

What do you mean by "using Renovateur for a few months"? How many applications are you describing in that time frame? It certainly sounds like more than one or two. I might use reno once, maybe twice a year max (and not on brand new shoes) - how often do you feel the need to apply a cleaner to your shoes? I have never ever had any issue using reno on any crust leather from any manufacturer. I suspect that often times the problem is over-use, either in amount of product or frequency of application. Or both.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This post from a week or so ago garnered a good amount of attention. I have a similar issue on which I'd like to get the group's opinion. Below are the heel counters of a pair of DOAK Dovers and DOAK/CC Galways that are new. These are my first pairs of EGs and I am by no means a leather or fine shoe expert. Does this look like a finishing issue that can be fixed with some nourishing cream or does it look like some damaged leather?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

To me both seem to be leather problem and not cracked finish (Galway less pronunced)

Where I can find Bick4 online in Europe? (curious to try it)

Last edited:

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does everyone here only take care of their shoes themselves? Anyone trust any local shoe shining "experts" to shine their shoes for them?

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Again and again??.  I just ordered my pair of Dovers. If they come in such a condition I will return them no matter is the cracked leather or  finishing. Too much money to have a small single flaw.:angry:

If there are problems you need to take this up with the retailer this has nothing to do with EG unless of course if bought from them directly? In any manufacturing there will sometimes be mistakes and the faulty goods are then passed on as (seconds) at a discount. What I fail to understand If the buyer can spot the problem how can the retailer sell them in the first place? surely they should have checked the item before selling them on!

I may just be lucky but I have never had any problems with EG shoes and I have been buying them for over thirty years!

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does everyone here only take care of their shoes themselves? Anyone trust any local shoe shining "experts" to shine their shoes for them?

For me one of the joys of wearing such shoes is looking after them myself!

justonemore

Reaction score
I do everything myself...It's somewhat part of the hobby's ritual......Although...When I'm traveling and staying in a 5* I'll often take advantage of the "free" service....but even then I tend to give them my "lesser" Aldens, C&Js, etc. .... I've even tossed them a couple pairs of shell (allthough I was nervous doing so) and left instructions....(do not use any polish...brush each shoe 10 minutes...etc...).....but all my "higher end" shoes have always stayed under my care.....even on vacation...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads