1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

't was just water. I'll do some experimenting tmr with tap water; see what happens.

2. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

A lot of Galway love here but too few Shannon. Here's a pair of MTOs we delivered about a week ago. Just lovely.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. mans72

mans72 Well-Known Member

absolutely beautiful :)

4. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

Shell is certainly good as a beater shoe.

If they are with Dainite, it should be fine for snow then.

5. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Well-Known Member

Beautiful boots, I like the Shannon boots more then the Galways but just that these are not available as ready to wear but only on made to order!

6. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

The Ridgeway sole specifically.

The 'regular' studded Dainite rubber sole is pretty useless in snowy and/or icy conditions, in my experience.

7. Farhad19620

Wow, I have never seen this before even on my shoes that are twenty year old!

8. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

I refinished the Galways thoroughly last night using dye (as normal polish wouldn't help remove the 'sports'), Reno and then Obenaufs.
    This morning I experimented leaving a single drop of tap water on one shoe for exactly 30min. What do you guys think; contact EG?
    Though this is just a small spot I hope you can imagine what the shoes look like after a little rain.

After last night.
    [​IMG]

The drop
    [​IMG]

The spot
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  9. Farhad19620

This look fine, I just think they needed some TLC! I think there is no need to show it to EG

10. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Nice, very nice.

11. dddrees

Outstanding job, but this does have me a bit concerned about getting mine wet.

I would have to think they had done something not quite right with your pair, I can't imagine this happens with all of their Galways.

By dying them, what product did you actually use, if you don't mind me asking?

12. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

You're damn right there's something not quite right with this pair as a little drop of water shouldn't be able to undo the finish. My other pair doesn't have this problem and like I said; I've never seen this before on EGs. I'll wait and see what happens next time they get wet, not that I'll be wearing them in the rain deliberately.

I used Saphir's teinture francaise to dye them.

13. dddrees

Thank you.

I hope you are able to get this resolved one way or another.

I would think if you contacted Edward Green they would do something to resolve this issue.

Good luck.

14. add911_11

I think it is normal with leather shoes, my old C&J also have that problem. After a cream polish the marks will usually go. Again, I am tempted to say, even 'chunky' fine boot with the correct sole is still not strictly compatible with rain. Here I am talking about real shower and not drizzle.

15. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

If you cannot get a pair of Galways wet, then what CAN you get wet?

16. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to bash EG btw; I really like EG. Just think something went wrong with this pair's finishing.
    Water & leather don't go well together but even leather shoes should be able to handle a little rain without the finish coming off.

17. CTBrummie

I think this highlights the difference between the original Galway boot, which was designed as a water-resisting field boot, and the newer, non-64 last versions.

All of the Galways I posted earlier are field boots and more than fine in soaking wet conditions. They're veldtschoen boots though, so this is standard, and they are all made of waxy grained leather which seems to bear water better than the newer, dressier leathers found on the more elegant Galways now available...

3 people like this.
  18. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Well-Known Member

Crat,

I would show EG your photos and my photos below and see if EG has any leg to stand on - that's simply poor leather.
    Personally - I see no difference in their leather compared to CJ's Handgrade.

Also:
    All leather porous - the golden rule is to keep rain away from all types of leather - whether it's Vass/JL/SCrispin/C&J/EG...
    The sole alot more porous than the upper, with all the snow, salt and god knows what other chemical they use to clean
    the chewing gums and rubbish on the pavement - after several wear ALL shoes will turn into paper mache....unless you have
    rubber dainite sole.

BUT - the water drop you did on your EG is NOT right. It looks like you're turning the leather back to the state crust condition
    it arrived from the tannery wholesalers.

Look at my JL Chapel & Vass water test....Both came out better than the EG, But Vass was spotless the 10 minutes test, Lobb had a visible black stain
    which would disappear after 1 hour....And this limited test was only using Evian water to start with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. CTBrummie

Not entirely true - some leathers are designed specifically for all-weather use, i.e. a lot of grained leathers, gorse, older British leathers like Beva leather, other waxy leathers and the like. Getting these leathers wet won't ruin them, and they won't (or shouldn't!) need any special treatment to recover from a soaking.

I appreciate you were talking about dressier shoes and boots, but there's a distinction to be made here.

20. add911_11

Is grained leather will be able to withstand the poor weather? Can you give some examples of fool weather shoes with a top tier finish?