1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

*EDIT- Vintage Exotics! Sea Turtle Wingtip Gunboats + Foot Joy Lizard Golf Spectators

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by isshinryu101, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Jangofett

Jangofett Well-Known Member

Makes them look even better, IMO.

Absolutely. Makes me want to wear all my croc shoes and start ebaying for all croc look alike turtle shoes.

2. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Well-Known Member

I thought the North Korea reference was enough to indicate my sarcasm...

Exotic footwear (cowboy boots) are a bad habit of mine, if anything I'm green with envy [​IMG]

My apologies, friend. I got a couple of PM's with a bit of an accusatory tone, and I want to make sure it is understood that I would NOT have bought these if I believed they were made in violation of the endangered species act (post 1979).

That + there's a new baby in my house (our 3rd), and I'm working on around 4 hours sleep a night.

Cheers to you as well!!!

3. Jangofett

Jangofett Well-Known Member

Your elusiveness on this question leads me to believe these are not vintage, but newly commissioned. Probably somewhere really shady, like North Korea - but I'm not sure they have capable cobblers.

His response in #35 indicates its not an ebay gem but probably an old pair of shoes from a shoemaker.

Damn sweet deal. I honestly don't mind if some unethical shoe maker is willing to kill a few turtles now to make me a pair of shoes like that - brand new.

4. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

[​IMG] It's still early in the morning. Nice boots. Is that Arlington?

5. isshinryu101

This is just my baseball game pair:

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1302272368

Love them, friend! My uncle LOVES cowboy boots, and owns around 20 pairs of lucchese's. ALL exotics, like yours. VERY tough looking. Since I can't rock the cowboy boot, I was inspired to find some shoes in a similar style...

[​IMG]

6. CaymanS

CaymanS Well-Known Member

Love them, friend! My uncle LOVES cowboy boots, and owns around 20 pairs of lucchese's. ALL exotics, like yours. VERY tough looking. Since I can't rock the cowboy boot, I was inspired to find some shoes in a similar style...

[​IMG]

*paging kitonbrioni*

7. ddaniel

ddaniel Member

Absolutely perfect. Such a rare find! Congratulations!

8. garymyman

garymyman Well-Known Member

Since I can't rock the cowboy boot, I was inspired to find some shoes in a similar style...
    Those are awesome. If I ever move out of the South I'll have to find something similar. It's amazing how wearing something crazy on your feet can open doors - during an interview for a clerkship the lawyer told me "Your resume isn't great, but with boots like that I pretty much have to hire you."

Close! Minute Maid, taken last fall.

1 person likes this.
  9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Those are stunning, simply stunning and probably one of the most incredible pair of gunboats I have ever seen. What adds even more to their beauty is the asymmetrical scaling pattern; each shoe's patterning being different. This asymmetry definitely adds to the wildness of their appearance. I am wondering how sea turtle leather is properly maintained to ensure suppleness or prevent cracking. Would it be the same as croco?

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Seriously, where did you get them and how much were they? Im floored by them.

11. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Seriously, where did you get them and how much were they? Im floored by them.

The ultimate compliment to a shoe tragic...

12. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

Your elusiveness on this question leads me to believe these are not vintage, but newly commissioned. Probably somewhere really shady, like North Korea - but I'm not sure they have capable cobblers.

As much as I love South Korea, it's a terrible place for shoes. I have no faith that the north could produce a pair like this. The only guy in North Korea in the market for a pair like this wears grey tracksuits all the time.

13. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Well-Known Member

Are these made out of that special sea turtle leather that was found in a shipwreck from 200 years ago?

14. isshinryu101

Are these made out of that special sea turtle leather that was found in a shipwreck from 200 years ago?
    that was Reindeer leather, or "Russian Calf"

15. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Well-Known Member

that was Reindeer leather, or "Russian Calf"

That was a joke.

16. isshinryu101

Original Post edited to add Foot Joys.

17. Swan Song

Swan Song Well-Known Member

Recent find, a little more refined and sleek in styling than the OP pair of Sea Turtle, yet they are more than 40 years old.
    And in my size
    Made in Mexico
    Original sole and heel. I since have changed the armored heel to a combination leather and rubber.

[​IMG]

18. mathyoubacon

mathyoubacon New Member