• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*EDIT- Vintage Exotics! Sea Turtle Wingtip Gunboats + Foot Joy Lizard Golf Spectators

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather than start another thread, I figured I'd just add to my "Vintage Sea Turtle Gunboats" one. Well, I'm 1 for 2. Everyone loved the Turtle 'Boats, but the AE Sharkskin Saddles went down like a 3 dollar whore. Can't win 'em all! Anyway, here's my pair of 1930- 1940's Foot Joy Lizard and Calf Spectator golf shoes. I'm converting them for street wear. All you "norvegese haters" out there will love these. I think that Spade Soles are the "norvegese of the 1930's". Tough looking, and sure to get noticed. These are more extreme spades, my preference. Love 'em or Hate 'em, you WILL Notice 'em!
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1168x.jpg
xIMG_1190.jpg
IMG_1184.jpg
The original "Sea Turtle" thread follows below. WARNING!!! This Thread Is NOT Politically Correct. Please save MOST of the "that's just wrong" commentary, as it's already been beaten to death in other threads. If they weren't so freaking old, I would NOT be wearing them. ALSO, I posted this in the Shoe Appreciation thread, but I felt these were just too good of a find, and deserved their own thread. I JUST got these this afternoon. I had originally expected some nice vintage crocodile wingtips, but I was shocked to find... Vintage SEA TURTLE V-Cleat Wingtip Gunboats. 360 degree welt, double thick sole, and natural color. They are slightly greenish black and there is a "marble-like" textured look. Holy Crap!
IMG_0816.jpg
IMG_0819.jpg
IMG_0821.jpg
IMG_0825.jpg
IMG_0831.jpg
What surprises me most is that, for some reason, all of the sea turtle shoes I've seen before are: 1) In unwearable styles (funky 50's style buckle loafers, etc). If you've seen my SP posts, you know I'm into some OTT stuff as far as shoes, but this is too far for even my tastes. & 2) In bizarre sizes (9 AAAA, etc). Who the hell has a foot that's a 9 in length, and a 6 in width???? Maybe a geisha with "bound feet". Great for a museum piece, but no good for actual wearing. Gunboat style, size 9C. Fit my 8 1/2D's just fine. EDIT:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Also, these are dried out. Moisturize.
Originally Posted by Chips
Very cool! Are they brittle? I'd be affraid to wear them if they were, I'd hate to destroy such amazing beauties.
Good question. Actually, I made some contacts in order to find out how to best moisturize them. I was told to use Almond Oil. Since it is very light oil & easily penetrates, it was suggested that I would get the best results using it. I used 3 coats, and they are very flexible now. There is no real evidence of dryness now. I also inquired about the brown lines between the scales. At first I thought they were evidence of extreme dryness, and was afraid the skin would tear. I was told that sea turtle skin is really very tough, as compared to vintage croc & lizard. The sea turtle lives in the ocean and dives to much deeper depths than the croc or gator. Therefore, their skin is much tougher and water-proof. Also, in gator & croc, you will see more bits of skin between the actual scales. That is because, 1) again, those animals' skin is evolved to handle much less waater pressure than the croc. & 2) the gator & croc need the extra skin between protective scales for flexibility, whereas the turtle needs very little flexibility on belly skin. I was told that these shoes are "natural" and un-dyed. Most exotics (including the other sea turtle shoes I have seen) have been dyed, so the skin between the scales is the same color as the scales themselves. Problem is that there is a complexity in color (a marbling effect) that the scales have naturally that is lost thru dying. The brown skin between the scales is the normal color of the un-dyed skin after 50+ years. Interesting stuff, I think.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Where did you find these? Thrifting? That's the only exotic skin shoe I would consider wearing.. very ballerific. I bet those are worth a pretty penny.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Wow. Where did you find these? Thrifting? That's the only exotic skin shoe I would consider wearing.. very ballerific. I bet those are worth a pretty penny.

Assuming you can find a buyer, of course.

Who made them?

I feel like the lack of a medallion is noticeable, but then again a medallion might disappear into the background.

TRA8324

Reaction score
where did you find them? just some random thrift shop?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Assuming you can find a buyer, of course.

Lucky for me I will NEVER sell these.

Who made them?

They're v-cleats, and the soles are nailed in with a single row of nails. No other markings still exist (although they may have been marked at some point). The insole has no markings(except the 9c size indicator), and the footbed has no markings. There may have been some writing on the footbed at some time, but it has worn away if it ever existed.

The footbed is covered with sea turtle skin as well. The interior is fully lined in leather.

I feel like the lack of a medallion is noticeable, but then again a medallion might disappear into the background.

When I first saw them, I thought the same thing about the medallion, but the coloring and texture is so deep that I think it would just look too busy.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
where did you find them? just some random thrift shop?

I just kidnapped a cast member or two from Finding Nemo.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
The footbed is covered with sea turtle skin as well. The interior is fully lined in leather.
Pic of the footbed please?
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
I just kidnapped a cast member or two from Finding Nemo.
Great, now I have to rinse the soda out of my keyboard.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the interior stitching green, by any chance?

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"That's just right." I'd like an ensemble picture please

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You need to post insole photos and outsole photos.

Also, these are dried out. Moisturize.

Ebay find I am sure.

Best $20 you've ever spent.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
As has been said, most sea turtle shoes are not really made in styles that most would like. These are actually quite extraordinary. The style and color are perfect. This is a great pair of shoes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads