1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ebay seller Giucasti?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with this ebay seller? He has a lot of Borrelli shirts, some at $135 but others that he starts at .99 and usually sell for about $60. Shipping is steep, but if you choose USPS you can end up getting a Borrelli for about $70. Not a bad deal at all.

Here's a link to one of his auctions. Anyone have any experience with him?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

2. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

i don't have experience with this seller, but isn't it strange that the label just says "napoli," and not Luigi Borrelli??

3. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

I don't claim to be particularly knowledgable about Borrelli products, but I know that Yoox has seperate "Borrelli Napoli" and "Luigi Borrelli" listings under its selections of brands, though both lines appear to feature the same styles and price points. I'm thinking it might just be a nuance about different production runs for different markets, but perhaps someone could correct me.

4. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

One thing that makes it seem legit: Sleeve length on a 16 inch shirt is 36/37. Iti is a mystery to me why Italian shirt makers make their sleeves so damned long.

One thing: "Directly from Naples store, Hands express."

Anyone know what that means?

5. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

I bought 2 Barba shirts form him that are the real thing and were a good deal at about $70/each. But, these Borrellis have me nervous. I don't like not getting a close-up of the label in the shirt being sold and the sizing tag looks unlike the Borrelli tags that I have seen. I say proceed with extreme caution on these.

6. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

I bought 2 Barba shirts form him that are the real thing and were a good deal at about $70/each. But, these Borrellis have me nervous. I don't like not getting a close-up of the label in the shirt being sold and the sizing tag looks unlike the Borrelli tags that I have seen. I say proceed with extreme caution on these.

I picked one up for about $60 and will post when it comes. I have no idea how to tell if legit or not, but I will post photos and get yourall's (nice Southern expression) feedback.

7. dmipol1

dmipol1 Well-Known Member

LB=Luigi Borrelli, no doubt that it is the same thing (the quality is at least on par). Bought one "LB" labeled shirt from this seller along with the conventional "Borrelli" one. Generally the seller borrows his marketing rhetoric from the Borrelli's official site (check for example this one on that the Borrelli cloth is the real CULT http://www.luigiborrelli.com/english/company3_en.htm. Initially I very much wondered where these ideas emanate from)[​IMG]

8. Histrion

Histrion Well-Known Member

I don't want to totally hijack this thread but I have a very similar question so I thought I should not start a new thread over it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2006-BORRELL...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this the real thing? There's just something that seems weirds to me about that shirt.

9. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

I bought one from him and two from the same looking auction which i was told is his cousin. I should have them the beggining of next week. Will post then.

10. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Please indicate whether or not the Borrelli book that identifies the seemstress is hanging from the shirt. I don't see it in any of the photos. Thanks!

11. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

Hmmm, his cousin?
    With the same shirts (and the same written descriptions).

Is there any reason for a seller to use two different identities?

12. Histrion

Histrion Well-Known Member

I thought I'd be buying the shirt to which I provided a link but this double-identity thing is really getting me wary. I am no rich professional so I don't know if I should take this risk.

13. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

I bought a couple of Barba shirts from Guisasti. My only criticism is that he DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO MEASURE. I asked multiple times for confirmation that the sleeves were 36.5 or longer, he confirmed them each time. When the shirts arrived, they were 35.5.

14. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about them both. I was worried when i foudn this out but apperently they have some connection to the borrelli and barba factories (which i've heard use the same tailors) and people on AA said they had good experiences.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/F...TOPIC_ID=22110

15. pkincy

pkincy Well-Known Member

I have bought from both and am pleased with what I have gotten vs the price.

I suspect that they are seconds or come from the training room as I have had to resew many of the buttons on as the seamstress clearly was drunk or it was Friday after noon when they were put on the first time. They all had the chicken foot stitch but it certainly wasn't done most elegantly. And in many cases the wrap stitch had not been locked through the initial stitching.

The fabrics however are excellent and they are cut with the patented high armhole and wear well and hold up very nicely.

Only one of 3 arrived with the Borrelli booklet attached, but the shirts are very similar given different fabrics. And they fit not unlike my Borrelli bought at retail.

Could they be knock offs? I suppose but I would bet more on the seconds rack or the training classroom for new employees. All in all very worth the $70 I paid for one and the $139 and shipping I paid (ea) for the 2 others.

Perry

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Realize at the end of the auction he states:

not for all...