1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Eating Healthy on Vacation/Long Flights

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by JesseJB, Jul 1, 2010.

1. dmash

dmash Well-Known Member

I am aware that you can get healthy food at grocery stores in any part of the world. I was assuming the OP was refering to eating out.

By Deep South, I meant Atlanta. Florida has healthier food in general.

I lived the first 16 years of my life in rural ass GA. If I could go the grocery store with my mother and find healthy food I'm sure grown men can too[​IMG] It's all about the actual WILL to be lean/healthy.

2. why

why Well-Known Member

why, I know you like to shoot down commonly-held beliefs, but some constructive criticism (with emphasis on the constructive part) could be more helpful in answering the OP's question. What would you do when travelling for business, when you have about 1h to eat dinner in an unfamiliar city?
    Ask someone for a recommendation or see what looks popular and eat there. I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but I don't carry protein powder in my carry-on while traveling.
    Wait, what exactly is unhealthy about romaine lettuce and grilled chicken?
    Nothing. Read what I actually said, not what you expected me to say.

3. dmash

dmash Well-Known Member

That's disgusting garbage, and it's no more 'healthy' than a burrito from Taco Bell.
    That was your response to the poster saying to get a chicken caesar salad without the dressing.

4. Redwoood

Redwoood Well-Known Member

Ask someone for a recommendation or see what looks popular and eat there. I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but I don't carry protein powder in my carry-on while traveling.
    [...]

Well, neither do I.
    So are you saying it doesn't matter where and what to eat? Most "popular" food can hardly be described as healthy.

5. why

why Well-Known Member

Well, neither do I. So are you saying it doesn't matter where and what to eat? Most "popular" food can hardly be described as healthy.
    Define 'healthy' and I'll do my best to answer your question.

6. SField

SField Well-Known Member

I hear that pieces of wonder bread fried in vegetable oil and laden with salt along with bacon bits and a substance that is barely cheese qualifies as "health" food. Because caesar salad apparently only has chicken, lettuce, and dressing. [​IMG]

7. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

I've never seen a Caesar with bacon bits. (If it's real bacon, how is that unhealthy, anyway?)
    Cheese, yes - but a sprinkling of mozzarella is not what makes Americans fat.
    Pick around the croutons.

It's ridiculous to argue that grilled chicken on a bed of greens, even with a bit of mozzarella (or olive oil, or a couple of croutons) isn't good for you.

8. SField

SField Well-Known Member

I've never seen a Caesar with bacon bits. (If it's real bacon, how is that unhealthy, anyway?)
    Cheese, yes - but a sprinkling of mozzarella is not what makes Americans fat.
    Pick around the croutons.

It's ridiculous to argue that grilled chicken on a bed of greens, even with a bit of mozzarella (or olive oil, or a couple of croutons) isn't good for you.

ehh... every caesar salad at every shitty restaurant I've ever seen has fake bacon bits.

9. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

Not even at TGI McFunsters spots have I seen that.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

You guys kill me.

11. Redwoood

Define 'healthy' and I'll do my best to answer your question.

Food made from high-quality ingredients that has little salt and the macro-nutrient composition I am looking for (whatever that may be).

As the last part is somewhat subjective and varies from instance to instance, feel free to substitute your own preferences.

12. dmash

dmash Well-Known Member

Food made from high-quality ingredients that has little salt and the macro-nutrient composition I am looking for (whatever that may be).

As the last part is somewhat subjective and varies from instance to instance, feel free to substitute your own preferences.

Chicken, Fish, Fruits, Green Vegetables, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut Oil. EXTREMELY simple, yet 99% of people can't stick with it. That's about as nutrient dense as you can get.

13. Redwoood

Chicken, Fish, Fruits, Green Vegetables, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut Oil. EXTREMELY simple, yet 99% of people can't stick with it. That's about as nutrient dense as you can get.

Good luck getting this into your carry-on

14. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Well-Known Member

Here's an idea: if you've been eating clean for a substantial amount of time with regular exercise eat whatever the hell you want! It's a fucking vacation; stay away from the deeply fried and soaked in butter shit and eat for the enjoyment of it. One week isn't going to derail your physique.

However, if you are on a weight loss plan you do need to maintain your healthy eating habits in order to keep your body in the groove of eating healthy. You already know what's healthy so go find it! It's really not that hard.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

the world seems to divide up into people who believe that some lettuce with no dressing is food, and those who would like to enjoy the occasional meal. fair enough, if you don't like food, then you might not have much to contribute on the thread. anyone can keep thin, buy a few bags of green leafy vegetables every week, eat that. simple. all about will. for those of us who actually like food, there are ways to enjoy food without putting on too much weight. maybe we need to start a thread for people who don't really like to eat.

16. why

why Well-Known Member

the world seems to divide up into people who believe that some lettuce with no dressing is food, and those who would like to enjoy the occasional meal. fair enough, if you don't like food, then you might not have much to contribute on the thread. anyone can keep thin, buy a few bags of green leafy vegetables every week, eat that. simple. all about will. for those of us who actually like food, there are ways to enjoy food without putting on too much weight. maybe we need to start a thread for people who don't really like to eat.

So you enjoy food, but eat less food on purpose by consuming protein powder before you enjoy your food.

That rules out the Applebee's salad.

17. SField

SField Well-Known Member

I don't really have a big problem with what Globe is doing. In my mind his method is far more sustainable than what some people here would do, which is eat "clean". I just think that protein powder is part of that whole cycle of thinking, and I think it's gross. I prefer to eat real foods but if it works for him then all the power to him.

18. Redwoood

[...]
    That rules out the Applebee's salad.

If you ever want to make a useful contribution to this thread, I'll be right here.

19. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I don't really have a big problem with what Globe is doing. In my mind his method is far more sustainable than what some people here would do, which is eat "clean". I just think that protein powder is part of that whole cycle of thinking, and I think it's gross. I prefer to eat real foods but if it works for him then all the power to him.

You haven't tried raspberry rapsody protien powder....

No, I'll admit it is a crutch, and it isn't the best food ever. But it is a system that works for me, after looking for a system for about 20 years. Eating a bunch of raw naked spinach would do the same thing, but the powder is easier for me logistically

20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

You haven't tried raspberry rapsody protien powder.... No, I'll admit it is a crutch, and it isn't the best food ever. But it is a system that works for me, after looking for a system for about 20 years. Eating a bunch of raw naked spinach would do the same thing, but the powder is easier for me logistically
    get a smart phone application (for the iphone/droid ect) that will count your calories. I actually just use an internet based one 411fit through my laptop. if you're flying then use the said application on a smartphone or just write what you ate down (the menu is usually in the seat pouch with the movie/tv sched ect). when you can account for everything you intake its just like using MS Money/Quicken/checkbook balancing where you REALLY find out what you're eating (amount of calories taken in vs how much you burned). if protein powder is a way for you to keep consumption down, then stick with it if it works. so if you eat a big steak thats around 1,500+ calories at least you can really account for it and try to work it off accordingly (extra work out at the hotel gym/go for a run/swim laps in the pool/ect).