1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

East Sicily Tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by UrbanComposition, May 27, 2016.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

It's not just about it being lines, it's the unevenness.

[​IMG]

In any case, as UB said, the jacket looks nice in other respects and it's great that Pete is willing to share these photos. Still one of the best threads on this forum in a while.

(An aside, does Attolini really do their pick stitching as lines? I would be surprised).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Just to illustrate what I mean, check out the unevenness right above the buttons here:

And on the collar right above the notch here:
    People have different ideas about where the line between charming and sloppy lies, but to me those stitches wander onto the wrong side of the tracks. At least, that level of stitching is not very hard to do - I could do stitching about that clean.

3. dfoverdx

dfoverdx Well-Known Member

For me it's especially color of the stitiching which is odd. The jacket is rather on the light color side overall but stitching is dark... For me the color of stitching should be sth like beige or taupe.

4. unbelragazzo

I've seen plenty of dark stitching on light-colored jackets. I don't mind it. The reverse is an abomination, obviously.

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

The color of the stitching is not my favorite but it's interesting how it disappears over the brown part of the check. Meh, I asked for "sportivo" so I guess I got it :)

As far as the evenness goes, I should take pics of the frescos side by side to compare the puntini of Arrigo (the RAF) and Palmisciano (the tobacco). Both are more pronounced than the subtle pick stitching of the DB, and are different in style so I won't use that as a comparison.

1 person likes this.
  6. unbelragazzo

Re: the line vs dots as well as dark thread, here's from a recent Attolini window:

[​IMG]

This one is a little too much for my personal taste

7. dieworkwear

^ very pimp, to use Justin O'Shea's words.

8. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

I am curious / willing to bet, that none of this is noticeable to anyone at a normal distance, i.e. not crawling on top of UC while he is wearing the SC.

To be fair, that SC, in combination with UC's general looks and style, might encourage a few ladies to want to crawl on top of UC. So he may in fact have an issue, but I bet those ladies are not looking at how straight his pick stitching is.

9. UrbanComposition

Not incredibly noticeable but that's what forums and detail shots are for, right?
    In all fairness, this is the first time I've used either tailor, and a simple "next time can you do thus-and-so" should iron out most issues. I will say they both nailed the fit. BTW the gunclub fits exactly like the fresco. Uncanny.

10. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Ah, interesting. In general, I'd probably prefer more subtle and straight stitching too, but I like it on this, more casual jacket. When i made my comment, I hadn't clicked the closeups and was thinking mainly about the buttonholes.

11. UrbanComposition

I just tried both on, and while both fit fine, there are style differences between the two tailors. Then again, they share similar characteristics.

Arrigo's jacket has plenty of drape and has a bit of a skirt, while Palmisciano's has practically no drape at all, a very clean chest, and a skirt that hugs the hips. Of course, these are standard and can obviously be adjusted, but it's interesting to see the "house style" of the individual sarto. Both have very nicely curved quarters, and both do spalla camicia in the same subtle manner.

I'll post pics illustrating the differences tomorrow.

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It's the same for La Vera SN in my experience, although I don't have any images to hand as I've never photographed their stuff.

1 person likes this.
  13. dieworkwear

Those look like dots to me. Or at the very least, not lines in the sense that Pete's jacket has lines.

14. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. dieworkwear

Yea, that doesn't look good to me.

16. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

17. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

Local weather permitting, I'll be on a flight to Palermo tomorrow.

3 people like this.
  18. unbelragazzo

I think I'm pointing out the obvious here but...there's not a different technique to doing lines vs dots. The dots are just small lines. So it's a continuum rather than a dichotomy.

19. Slh

Slh Well-Known Member

do you plan to visit some tailor? I'm from Palermo and could give you some advice if you need it.
    Feel free to send me a pm if you wish.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  20. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    3 people like this.