1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by musicguy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

The problem I have with my friend's Rove chair isn't so much the lower quality leather (it's decent enough).

It is that the chair simply isn't comfortable. I dunno if it is the lack of flexibility or a lower grade of foam, but it doesn't feel right.

2. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Which brings up another issue which comes up when you pay for a repro designed to be sold at a lower cost: less consistent sourcing of materials.

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

back to a point that was made a few hundred posts ago: call up that friend of a friend of a friend who is an architect, have them call any dealer (odds are they have their own) and order you a chair, then you slip the designer a buck or two as thanks for making that phone call, and then enjoy your chair half-off with free shipping.

kind of a hassle, yeah, but so sounds Brittany's ordeal here.

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yeah...I need to do that when I move in October. Still thinking about an LCW.

Hopefully I can find one...I race bikes with a bunch of people who went to architecture school...does it matter what kind of architect they are?

5. gomestar

no. a business card works most of the time. just have them look up a distributor and call.

also, I'd like some Zipp wheels, so, you're welcome. Thx.

6. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll try my grandpa's business card.

We don't do zipps...too overplayed here in sramtown. How about an artisinal hand-built wheelset?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Most of the time asking without a businesscard will yield the same result.

8. twistoffat

twistoffat Well-Known Member

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

The answer seems to be a resounding "No". The copies are what they are.....a compromise on quality with no real after sales service :nodding:

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Didn't we conclude this on page 1. :nest:

10. twistoffat

Indeed but 46 pages later :decisions:

11. gomestar

FTFY

12. Brittany Paris

Brittany Paris Well-Known Member

So, I just received some swatches of different leathers from Spinneybeck, Edelman and the ones from Rove and surprisingly, Rove's Modena Black was better than the Spinneybeck Vicenza sample but it was very comparable to the Edelman Black AG05. The Spinnybeck sample felt more like vinyl to me, and it looks like there is a man made embossed pattern on it. I also got a sample of the Siena black and it actually does have pores if you look up close. Now that I look at the Siena cushion that I have, I can see the pores as well. It just feels funny to me, like plasticy. It's a matte so they have to use different techniques to get it to that look, but I'm pretty sure it's a semi aniline. Anyway, not sure if anyone really cares for my opinion on here, but I just thought I would update for anyone who is curious.

Victor at Rove informed me that my new Modena black cushion would hopefully be shipped end of September and I will update once it is received. I really am pleased that they are so concerned with my satisfaction as a customer. Hoping it will go smoothly and there will be a happy ending.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

14. Brittany Paris

No, I didn't get the prima. Is that the best they carry? I will order a sample now though, and then compare it to the Rove Modena. I'll be back in a few days with some info. :)

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

16. phototropically

phototropically Active Member

I find this thread very interesting, keep it up @Brittany Paris .

Wouldn't mind seeing some photographic comparisons between the leathers you have.

17. Brittany Paris

I'm glad someone finds it interesting, haha. I will definitely post some photos once I receive the Prima sample.

18. twistoffat

Maybe they are aware of this thread and worried about you expressing your dissatisfaction for all to read :rimshot:

1 person likes this.
  19. Brittany Paris

Yes, that. But at least they're doing something about it! I don't care what their motives are, as long as they do what they have promised.

20. twistoffat

“The moment there is suspicion about a person's motives, everything he does becomes tainted.”