1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Durable jeans for less than $40?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Trale, Apr 3, 2006.

1. minya

minya Well-Known Member

then, yeah, just stick with Levis shrink-to-fit. $30 at Sears/Mervyns.

2. Trale

Trale Member

Countdown/pool for how long it takes this guy to purchase a pair of APC's and a pair of Nudies online without trying them on? 2 weeks? Any other guesses? [​IMG]

Hey can I get in on that pool? I'll place a bet on "Never".

I buy a lot of things online, but clothes will not be one of them. The odds of me getting something that'll fit well and looks right just from its online description is 1:1000.

3. Trale

Trale Member

I suppose the extra price comes from:
    1. selvage fabric
    2. dye
    3. construction
    4. design
    5. brand name

To me, 1-4 are important, 5 almost enters into my mind when buying a pair of jeans (but applicable elsewhere). The dept. store Levi's STFs that I have don't even belong in the same league in categories 1-4 as compared to the 45rpm Sorahiko that I have. Granted, the later costs 5-8 times more than the former. Think of it this way, you're paying incrementally more for every category listed above. IMO, the law of diminishing returns kicks in somewhere after $80 (with APC being one of the best value out there).

If none of these categories concerns you, however, you can just go on wearing $30 Levi's STFs for the rest of your life. And there's not a damn thing wrong with doing so. For some of us, the finer craftsmanship in those categories are worth paying a few more bucks for.

The Levis STFs is starting to look like a consensus. I'll check them out.

BTW, how do you evaluate 1-3 just by looking/touching it? It seems you need a microscope and a chemical test to have any idea of those qualities.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Once you've seen a few good pairs, you'll forever be able to tell the bad ones.

5. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

You can get Express Men jeans on sale for $25-40 quite often. They ain't great, but they ain't bad. They are right inbetween standard Levis and a premium jean. Some of the washes are extreme, but most are very wearable. Sort of a happy medium for someone looking to upgrade from basic jeans. Quality isn't bad, and cuts are pretty decent (you should be able to find a looser fit there), though the washes and denims aren't as good as, say, a premium jean. You should be able to get something like this for pretty cheap: [​IMG] The Gap 1969 jeans are also a good value, and regularly on sale for about the same price range. A few months back I picked up a nice pair of looser fit bootcuts in a faded black/gray wash for $20.

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

7. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

I really can't agree about Express. Though they are pretty much permanently on sale, they're still far from worth it. The denim is very low quality, the washes are, at this point, almost exclusively either Abercrombie Destroyed or Old Man Blue. And the cuts are basically pure American Jackass.

I can, however, very much recommened 1969. The recent offerings have been crap, but hopefully they'll come around. At least as of six months ago, they offered some really quite decent cuts and very much above average fabrics. Not the best out there, but arguably the best value (especially on sale, which happens easily).

8. Trale

Trale Member

You can get Express Men jeans on sale for $25-40 quite often.

Are you talking about in a store, or online?

9. Arethusa

You can't buy anything from Express online, unless you mean eBay, in which case that crap generally goes for a fair bit less than $25-40.

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Well-Known Member

11. mbc

mbc Well-Known Member

Try to pick up some J Crew jeans on sale or at an outlet. I've had some of theirs that lasted quite a while.

12. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Clearance pairs of GAP 1969 Premium jeans.

13. j

j Well-Known Member

Try to pick up some J Crew jeans on sale or at an outlet. I've had some of theirs that lasted quite a while.
    Agreed. The J Crew jeans I had a while back were lasting forever, but I put them in the dryer and shrunk them too much.

I really don't suggest Levi's STF. I have a couple pairs, and while one has lasted a while's wear, they don't look very good. The other was quickly trashed and looks terrible.

14. dare-

dare- Well-Known Member

land's end?

I have some of their dress shirts, which are really well-made for the money.

15. mcflip

mcflip Member

you don't want to get jeans that are a poly blend (unless you're really into sweating and smelling funny once it gets warm out) Also, poly blend pants wear weird, you'll get weird fuzzy knubs all over them as they wear.

If you just want to be really utilitarian about it:
    - look at the construction. Are the seams tight? were they gone over more than once? Are the buttons/rivets, etc. not cheap looking/feeling?
    - obviously steer clear of distressed/whiskered/faded jeans. They are as the name would imply, worn in a bit so that takes some of the life out of them.
    - go for thicker as opposed to thinner denim.

As far as fits go, go with whatever's flattering and comfortable on your body type. Everyone is built different, so there are a myriad of different cuts out there.

16. Kid609

Kid609 Well-Known Member

you can buy Lee and Levis jeans for under 40 dollars easy.

17. seen

seen Well-Known Member

How are jeans like Hollister, Nautica, JCrew, and DKNY?

18. Arethusa

Abercrombie is overpriced crap. Nautica and DKNY, far as I know, are no better. You pay for the name. J Crew is actually fairly good if you can stand the cuts. Try to get them on sale, though.

19. Max

Max Well-Known Member

I've had my non-shrink to fit levis 501s for a good 4 years now, and I actually wash them. It's a quality product.