• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Durable jeans for less than $40?

Trale

Reaction score
I've browsed the "Top ten jeans" thread, and in my mind there's no way to justify buying a pair of $200+ jeans. For me to throw down that much money, they would have to be absolutely wrinkle free, stain-repellent, water-proof, dirt-proof, never-needs-washing, indestructable, and comes with life-time moneyback guarantee.

With that said, is there anything special about "designer" jeans that makes them better than a $20 pair jeans one can find at Ross?

Right now, I'm looking at a replacement for an old pair of $20 jeans. I've worn it now for about 6months, and it's coming apart. The fabric at the rear is thinning, and will probably develop a tear or hole in the next few weeks. The seams at the leg's end are also shredding. These are problem's I've had with jeans for a very long time. (BTW, I'm 5"10, 160 lb, in other words, not fat).

My serious question is, if I pay more for a pair of jeans, would I get better fabric that's considerably more durable? Or is that all jean fabrics are alike and I would only be paying for better "design"?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trale
My serious question is, if I pay more for a pair of jeans, would I get better fabric that's considerably more durable?

Yes

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Or is that all jean fabrics are alike and I would only be paying for better "design"?

design is a huge part of what makes/breaks a pair of jeans. It could be made from the best "zimbabwean cotton japanese shuttle loomed selvage denim" but if it fits poorly no one is going to wear it. It's easily argued that the premium brands do have better design/fits than a run of the mill $40 pair.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you are in or near NJ (or Japan) or have someone near there, get a pair of Uniqlo Ring Denim jeans. They are about ~$30 or so and so far my pair has worn like iron. In fact they are breaking in more slowly than my APCs which are known as one of the most durable brands.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
care to elaborate?

I've been wearing my oldest pair of premium denim, a pair of PDCs, 1-3 times a week for over three years. There is not even the beginning of a hole yet. Obviously not all of the $180 retail price went to making durable denim, but there certainly is a difference.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If you are in or near NJ (or Japan) or have someone near there, get a pair of Uniqlo Ring Denim jeans. They are about ~$30 or so and so far my pair has worn like iron. In fact they are breaking in more slowly than my APCs which are known as one of the most durable brands.

The man has the answers, though Uniqlo jeans are closer to $50 than $30 in the States. APCs do wear like iron. They are considerably better constructed than Uniqlos, the hardware nicer, and the denim is tighter woven, but I'd be hard pressed to justify the price difference based on durability alone...

Trale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
design is a huge part of what makes/breaks a pair of jeans. It could be made from the best "zimbabwean cotton japanese shuttle loomed selvage denim" but if it fits poorly no one is going to wear it. It's easily argued that the premium brands do have better design/fits than a run of the mill $40 pair.

Fit isn't a problem for me even at the $20 price range, I may have to try on about 10 pairs in dressing rooms from various brands, but I usually find one that's comfortable and suits my frame in the end. My problem has been durability. My current jeans are developing a hole on one butt cheek due to an asymetrical pocket design in the back (one pocket has an extra pattern/stiching the other doesn't). In previous jeans, tears usually form around the back pocket's stitching as well, which makes sense there's a lot of stress there and the sudden change in fabric thickness due to the pockets.

I suppose better design could possibly distribute stress better, but I'm more interested in the fabric material differences between cheap and expensive jeans. If paying more means I get fabric that's signicicantly better, then I might consider spending more than $40.

Trale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The man has the answers, though Uniqlo jeans are closer to $50 than $30 in the States. APCs do wear like iron. They are considerably better constructed than Uniqlos, the hardware nicer, and the denim is tighter woven, but I'd be hard pressed to justify the price difference based on durability alone...

I'm in CA (SF bay area). But if I'm ever in NJ, I'll be sure to check them out. I'd be willing to give APCs a try, but do any typical stores carry them (Macy's, Mervyns, etc)?

I'd rather not buy any clothes online since I can't try them on first.

Trale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I've been wearing my oldest pair of premium denim, a pair of PDCs, 1-3 times a week for over three years. There is not even the beginning of a hole yet. Obviously not all of the $180 retail price went to making durable denim, but there certainly is a difference.

Good to know. Visually speaking, I don't see any appreciable difference between premium jeans and regular jeans. I have more respect for premium jeans if they really do last longer and have other practical superior qualities.

nairb49

Reaction score
Lee makes some almost indestructible workhorse denim.

But I think you may have partly* answered your question in that your $20 jeans are falling apart after six months, whereas Nudies, for example, recommend the first wash AFTER six months.

Granted, I agree that no jean is worth $200 or $150 for that matter unless it has collectible/vintage value, but then, whats really worth its price these days? Grain of salt I suppose.

Trale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
Rustlers, available from Walmart.

Really? Will definitely check them out.

Do you have a pair? What's your review of it?

minya

Reaction score
Really? Will definitely check them out.

Do you have a pair? What's your review of it?

No, I don't, but I'm honestly puzzled by what you're looking for from a pair of jeans.

- Durability?
- Fit?
- Design?

If you're really put off by paying high prices for jeans, and all you care about is durability, just get whatever's cheapest (ie, Rustler at Walmart). I'm sure millions of workers buy and wear them. They'll probably last you six months, at least -- and they cost, what, $10 - 15? Can't be too expensive.

If you care about fit and design, then be prepared to spend more money.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
my coworker bought a pair of Rustlers from Walmart. $15 and dry denim. If you just want no-nonsense-cover-your-butt jeans then these will do that. Fit wise they were straight legged and more on the relaxed side. The indigo in the denim didnt look too good. He wore them once and never again. I'd buy them if I shat myself and needed something quick and cheap to change into. But if I were to take a blind wear-test with all distinguishing marks taken off between various premium and cheap jeans, I know I would never pick the Rustlers.

*and this coworker who bought the Rustlers is cheap as hell and could care less about "quality" jeans or clothes in general, and even he could tell the Rustlers sucked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads