• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dunhill timepieces

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still searching for a new watch. I wouldn't mind buying used, but I don't feel comfortable shopping for serious time pieces and gambling a significant amount of coin that could be a potential bust. I checked out Timezone already and most posts stated that Dunhill was decent, but didnt elaborate on any specifics nor provide preferrable alternatives in a similar price range. I was looking specifically at Dunhill's tank watches since they are in a similar price range as Baume et Mercier and even cheaper than certain Hampton styles (my personal favorite aside from a Cartier Santos/JLC Reverso).

Comments would be appreciated. Alternative suggestions will be also entertained, but please give a ballpark price range. Ideally, I would spend around $500 as my birthday/Xmas present...

rsp1

Reaction score
Given the stated price range, I think you would be happiest and best off by simply buying the watch you found most comfortable and eye-pleasing. Personally, I agree that several of the Dunhill watches look quite nice.

As far as quality, I don't think there will be a noticeable difference, and all the watches will have reasonable warranties. Try to get a sapphire crystal (scratch resistant) and you should be fine.

arenn1

Reaction score
Watch snobs have a tendency to dismiss Dunhill because they use (or at least did last I checked) standard ETA movements and thus aren't "interesting" from a horological point of view. I agree with that to an extent. However, I'd argue, and will admit I'm arguing this as a Dunhill owner, you get a pretty good price/performance output from a Dunhill, with a design likely to stand the test of time, and most importantly, a watch that not everybody and his brother owns. I have a Dunhill "Traveller" watch which I doubt no more than a hundred or so people in the US own. Even if I'm off by a factor of 10, that's certainly a more unique experience than a Rolex brings. (Though I'm a Rolex Cellini owner too.)

Aaron.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any idea which ETA movement it uses? If it uses even an off the shelf 2892 that's not a bad thing, and even the older ETA movement is not bad.

gregory

Reaction score
Everyday I wear my Dunhill watch (it looks very much like Rolex Cellini). It has a brown croc strap, silver frame and white face. I bought it from the Dunhill Outlet at Woodbury Premium Outlet (which is sadly closed) for less than US$400. My parents used to wear a matching pair of Dunhill watches before they joined the Rolex club.

solomoncross

Reaction score
Honestly I'd wear a Dunhill before a Rolex. Everyone I know that goes on a cruise comes back from the Islands with one of those damn things on their wrist. Personally I think its a drug dealers Timex that says I have more money than sense. You can pick up used low end Pateks, Vacheron Constantins, Jeagre le Coutres, Breugets etc for aproximately $2k at watch repair shops depending on your proximity to a major city. I've seen some deals over the internet (caveat emptor). Although $2K is 4X more than you may want to spend...  better to save and wait.  Same goes for writing instruments.

W

arenn1

Reaction score
They use different movements for different watches. I can't tell you exactly which ones. I should qualify my statement about the use of "standard movements" as well. Dunhill does (or has done for them) their own proprietary modifications to the base movement, but I don't think there's much to what they do. Also, I believe they sell some chronographs that are probably based on a movement like the Valjoux 7750, though that's speculation.

Kaga

Reaction score
 You can pick up used low end Pateks, Vacheron Constantins, Jeagre le Coutres, Breugets etc for aproximately $2k at watch repair shops depending on your proximity to a major city.  
W-san:
If you can recommend to me such a reliable watch repair shop likely to carry such merchandise in the area of the nation's capital (where I am currently battling other gourmets) I would like to know.
Arigato,
KAGA Takeshi.

arvi

Reaction score
there are many attractive watches in your price range..name not really important on many quartz watches since most use similar movement. not to sound like a watch snob, but i still prefer a mechanical or automatic movement to quartz..it's like preferring natural fiber to synthetic..call me a purist.(but do own some quartz sport watches that i wear when i run in my synthetic fiber running clothes)..i own about 50 watches ranging from 80 year old vintage to brand new..i have bought many on ebay or on trips abroad..here's an italian maker of goodlooking watches that can be bought on ebay: www.erkenwatch.com

solomoncross

Reaction score
Mr Kaga, www.artoftime.com is an excellent resource for used and unused timepieces of all varieties. As far as my comment regarding any large city... merely an assumption. I figured if my home state of Florida is able to yield such bargains... our more "sophisticated" cities to the North should have ample resources. W

drljva

Reaction score
Honestly I'd wear a Dunhill before a Rolex.  Everyone I know that goes on a cruise comes back from the Islands with one of those damn things on their wrist. Personally I think its a drug dealers Timex that says I have more money than sense. You can pick up used low end Pateks, Vacheron Constantins, Jeagre le Coutres, Breugets etc for aproximately $2k at watch repair shops depending on your proximity to a major city.  I've seen some deals over the internet (caveat emptor).  Although $2K is 4X more than you may want to spend...  better to save and wait.  Same goes for writing instruments.

W
I'm in agreement with this. I own several Dunhill limited edition watches, and I'm very happy with all of them. While I'm under no false illusions about the standing of these watches relative to the likes of Patek, JLC, IWC, etc., I do think that the Dunhill watches are distinctive in overall look and design. This is certainly true, e.g., for their "facet" watches; if you want a watch that isn't all that common, this design certainly fits the bill.

JV

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking about this watch specifically...
facet_dcv901l_defo.jpg
My wrists are too small for chronos, and I thought this design was interesting without looking too contemporary/kitchy.

drljva

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking about this watch specifically...
facet_dcv901l_defo.jpg
My wrists are too small for chronos, and I thought this design was interesting without looking too contemporary/kitchy.
For what it's worth, I tend to prefer the facet watches on a leather strap, as opposed to on a bracelet (on a black croc strap, a dressier look, I believe...). Still, the watch you're thinking about is certainly nice looking. BTW, lots of good deals on Dunhill watches on ebay... JV

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still searching for a new watch.  I wouldn't mind buying used, but I don't feel comfortable shopping for serious time pieces and gambling a significant amount of coin that could be a potential bust.  I checked out Timezone already and most posts stated that Dunhill was decent, but didnt elaborate on any specifics nor provide preferrable alternatives in a similar price range.  I was looking specifically at Dunhill's tank watches since they are in a similar price range as Baume et Mercier and even cheaper than certain Hampton styles (my personal favorite aside from a Cartier Santos/JLC Reverso).

Comments would be appreciated.  Alternative suggestions will be also entertained, but please give a ballpark price range.  Ideally, I would spend around $500 as my birthday/Xmas present...
Again .. Buying a wrist watch is like buying a suit. In suits, we can divide into canvassed and fused front. In watches, you can split into two categories; machanical movement and quertz movement.

I would buy machanical movement watch. No matter how nice quertz watch looks, it just does not have a heart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics