1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Duesenberg - The greatest American cars ever built - Appreciation

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Cedric, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Cedric

Cedric Well-Known Member

Started reading about these magnificent automobiles about a year ago and became fascinated with them.

Here is a little history for those who have never heard.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duesenberg

These cars were the equivalent of owning a Bugatti Veyron, or Enzo Ferrari or in dollar amount, a $1M-$2M car today. Basically you purchased the chassis and engine and you took it to a coach builder, who made the body of your choice, so no two Duesenbergs were alike.

The only commonality among them all was the powerful straight 8 cylinder motor, that pushed out around 245 hp in base form and an optional supercharged straight 8 with 320 hp, over 80 years ago. These cars were well capable of speeds of over 100 mph.
    At the time when an average car cost $200-$500, a "Duesy" commanded $20000+, often up to $25000.

The biggest Duesenberg private collector in America has to be Jay Leno, with about 5-6 in his collection.
    Without further ado, please take a look at the video below,

This particular model below is the highest car one ever sold in America, at just over $10MM.
    The "Whittell Coupe" Duesy was built for California playboy George Whittell, hence its name.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I will post more images of Duesenbergs as this thread goes along.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

3. AndyMG

AndyMG Well-Known Member

Absolutely stunning.

4. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Wait, so you're saying the Cadillac Catera wasn't the greatest American car ever built?? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  5. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

:laugh:

6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I love the engine turned dash.

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Goddamn that's beautiful.

8. Cedric

Cedric Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, these are truly a work of art and the technology behind them is
    I cannot think of any American car these days that can rival the Euros on all levels, these cars did just that and were better.
    I will soon start posting more pics to this thread.

9. runner-guy

runner-guy Well-Known Member

Duesenbergs are beautiful indeed. I would be scared shitless that some idiot 16 year old would hit me if I ever drove that thing.

10. Cedric

Cedric Well-Known Member

His insurance would pay for the restoration.
    A lot of the ones you see today were restored at least twice. lol