• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

duct tape wallets

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AE7
Hey man. Why dont you try to make something out of infusion systems (not used ones)... chains and simple dolls out of them used to be pretty popular in the last years of Soviet Union

Can one make cufflinks from these? Why restrict to unused ones. Could be mementos of events.

-

pauliec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NateWV
I saw someone who had a duck tape wallet years ago when I was in college and was intrigued. Went on a camping trip and my friends left to try to find another friend who was coming. They ended up being gone for several hours. I was bored to death with no cell service and noticed a big role of duct tape on table. A few hours and several beers later, the wallet was born.

When your friends came back I bet they were pissed you used all their tape.

NateWV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pauliec
When your friends came back I bet they were pissed you used all their tape.

No, they were quite amused. They asked what I have been doing all that time. When I drunkenly replied "I made a duct tape wallet" They laughed their asses off. My friend was happy when I gave him the wallet. It wasn't a breast wallet and woven like most of the pictures. Took pieces of tape and put sticky side to sticky side to make pieces and taped them together. If people think the ones I posted are hideous, I can't imagine what they would say about that bad boy.

pstoller

Reaction score
Given how folks around here feel about acquiring money, perhaps you'd find more favor if you made your wallets sticky-side out.

I think you should switch from "WV" to "LV." If Vuitton can charge ludicrous sums for canvas, you ought to be able to get some coin for duck/duct tape.

NateWV

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback.

I would really like for a few of you to see one up close and let me know what you think. Even if you hate them. I will make and send a wallet to the first 3 people (in the U.S.A) who PM me. All I ask is your feedback posted here when you receive them.

emptym

Reaction score
I think they're neat. PM'd.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the first picture was alligator...

NateWV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I think they're neat. PM'd.

Emptym is the first one, still will send one free to the next 2 who PM me

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
I think it's great that you were able to create something like this out of tape, it definitely shows a "unique" artistic skill. Personally, I wouldn't ever have a need for one of these, and unfortunately this is not the type of product that will be received well around here.

+1 on all counts.
This should have been the only post in this thread.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBear
But IMHO, better use/misuse of duct tape.
sodahead.jpg

Last time a woman tried that on me it ripped some of the skin of my back.
eek.gif

And no, it's not what you think.

NateWV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
You consider thinking of materials other than duct tape? The glue breaks down atrociously fast.

They actually last for a really long time. Because they are woven when they do break down some, they don't get sticky. They get more comfortable when they get wore in

Icehawk

Reaction score
Can I ask, why on earth you posted in this forum and not Streetwear? When I wore baggy pants at age 18 people had these wallets, preferably with a chain to attach it... but that was almost two decades ago. This forum section is more about wearing suits and oxfords, ya dig?

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
My wife purchased a coin purse made using a similar technique at Chichen Itza. Instead of duct tape, the local Mayans use the labels from discarded soda and water bottles.

You must've meant Incas. Anyway, those soda/water bottle label wallets and purses were the rage over here a few years back. As with everything, the fashion early adopters paid them at premium and after a while, every girl had one and they were selling at flea markets. This weekend I saw the new fad, purses made with plasticized magazine pages. Recycling!! lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads