1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Duck breast without a sweet / fruit based sauce

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VKK3450, Feb 12, 2012.

1. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

Any ideas for a sauce to go with a pan roasted duck breast that does not involve a fruity sorta sauce?

Something french / continental preferred over Asian.

Thanks,

K

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

Take some of the trimmings from the breast and brown them in butter with a little oil. Let them get very dark, but not burnt. Add diced shallots and a crushed garlic clove and let them caramelize. Deglaze with some chicken (or duck) stock, and reduce by half. Keep repeating this step 3 or 4 times. The last deglazing, don't reduce. Strain. Then you can reduce it down to sauce consistency.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I don't understand how repeated reductions by half create multiple glazes.

4. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

Si. You need to take it down till where there's basically only fat and meat in the pan, and the solids from the stock end up frying a little bit until you add the next batch of liquid.

5. mgm9128

You know what I meant.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

That is the usual technique. MM is right, though, Bras calls for reducing by half each time, which never made sense to me as far as a way to coarsen jus. I was just curious.

FWIW, I rarely do the multiple deglazings. I used to, but I feel it gives a slightly too roasty flavor. To each his own, though.

7. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

I see. I forgot about the Bras way, and assumed he was describing the normal way.

8. braised

braised Well-Known Member

Try the duck "au poivre".

9. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i rarely serve duck with fruit sauces or an sauces, actually. I'm much more likely to serve it on a bed of something ... lentils, white beans, etc. gives me much more to arrange with my tweezers!

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

I just want to say VKK, I hope your dish turns out awful. The price you pay for not responding to my PM! :angry:

11. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

red pepper jelly and sherry vinager is nice but it is a little sweet

12. VKK3450

Thanks for the replies.

I like mgm's idea, but the multiple reductions may take too long. One of my motivations in doing duck breasts was that they are relatively quicker to cook (we're going to be in the pub for a few hours beforehand) than a lot of our winter dinner party ideas,

Maybe au poive is the way to go, or I'll just do as foodguy recommended. I usually find duck flavoursome and juicy enough not to need a sauce.

Edina - My bad. I hadnt logged in for a while and missed your pm. Will respond

K

13. VKK3450

Hmmm, I do have the ingredients though...

K

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

You don't have to do all those individual de-glazings. If you have duck stock and/or duck trimmings, just brown the trimmings, brown some mirepoix, add the stock, then some herbs, reduce, strain and reduce some more if you want it thicker.

15. mgm9128

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012