1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Drugstore Alcohol (as Antibacterial)

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Leo Jay, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Well-Known Member

Stupid question: my girlfriend is looking for some alcohol to use as an anti-bacterial - she has a number of young piano students, so she likes to wipe down the keyboard after each student to minimize chances for transferring cold viruses, etc. When I looked in the drug store, I was surprised to see a bunch of different types - 70% isopropyl, 90% (I think), rubbing alcohol... anyone know what the differences are between these, and whether any would be better than another for this purpose?

2. j

j Well-Known Member

The ~90% isopropyl should be fine. Rubbing alcohol is the common name for isopropyl. The 70% is for skin usage, I guess.

It will dry out your fingers though, so she might want to wear gloves or use a thick rag so it doesn't get on her fingers. Also, it can eventually damage whatever the keys are made of. If it's a student piano, probably not real ivory, but in any case, repeated use of alcohol on even plastic can eventually weaken it and lead to it becoming brittle. I use it on my mouse and computer keyboard from time to time, and very rarely on my (music) keyboards and music equipment.

3. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, though I guess we should check on the possible effect on the keys. It's a Steinway grand -- don't ask me what model -- I'm completely ignorant on that score...

4. j

j Well-Known Member

Definitely, in that case, ask a piano dealer. I have no idea on pianos either, but I recognize a Steinway as one you wouldn't want to go dumping random chemicals on.