1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Dressing for a job interview with what I have

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sigg, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Well-Known Member

Go to your neighborhood JC Penney (assuming you are in the US) and pick up a Stafford dress shirt. They are not bad and are perpetually on sale at $19. Use it for your interviews and after you land your job, use it to clean your car or something.....

2. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, but I still think a solid shirt, preferably white would be safer, if not as fashionable.

Yes. You can't lose with a white shirt any day.

3. sigg

sigg New Member

Should the shirt be plain white or is some delicate fabric pattern allowed?

4. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Should the shirt be plain white or is some delicate fabric pattern allowed?

The less pattern, the better. You can never lose with a plain white dress shirt, regardless of the occasion.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Wear what you have.
    Make sure the shirt is ironed and your shoes are polished.
    Pay attention to personal grooming (example-clean trimmed fingernails)
    Shave and prepare your clothes/things the night before the day of the interview.
    You are there to present your skills. It's not a fashion show, so don't worry about it.
    Just make sure there are no loose or missing buttons on the shirt & jacket & coat.
    As long as you are clean, presentable and qualified for the position, no one will care further.
    Best of luck with the interview.

6. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Yeah the WORST thing you can do is buy something new that you aren't 100% comfortable in.

That will be immediately noticeable to an experienced hiring manger.

7. binge

binge Well-Known Member

I'm a fresh graduate and I've just got invited to an interview at a big consulting company.

How were you invited? Like for a wedding? Did you check the appropriate entree box on the RSVP card and mail it in?