1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Dress shoes with jeans.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Coffee, Jul 17, 2007.

1. josepidal

josepidal Well-Known Member

...and what's your shoe size?

I don't usually browse this forum, so I'm not current on WAWYN. Could you just repost some pics on this thread?

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I don't usually browse this forum, so I'm not current on WAWYN. Could you just repost some pics on this thread?

My shoe size is 11.

As far as finding the posts...

[​IMG]

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I'm not fond of wearing EGs or JLs with jeans, although I do it from time to time, as I feel the shoes look too dainty. I like AE and Vass with jeans more, and for more sleek looks, paul smith makes some nice "dress" shoes with interesting details.

That would seem to depend on the shoe, obviously. Certainly a double-monk with double sole, for example isn't going to look dainty, nor are a number of other styles.

4. drizzt3117

That would seem to depend on the shoe, obviously. Certainly a double-monk with double sole, for example isn't going to look dainty, nor are a number of other styles.

That's true, but most of the "popular" Lobb pieces are single sole and quite sleek. I would never wear my Jermyn IIs with jeans, for example.

5. lawyerdad

That's true, but most of the "popular" Lobb pieces are single sole and quite sleek. I would never wear my Jermyn IIs with jeans, for example.

My perspective is probably skewed because the only pair of Lobbs I own are these, in dark brown with the double sole. Definitely not dainty.
    [​IMG]

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, mind if I ask what jeans you two wear? Denim is generally a heavy fabric, but I think cut is a bigger factor in pairing jeans with shoes.

Here's what is currently in my rotation:

1-5) Five Earnest Sewns: 1 Filson (Maz Dark 3d), 2 Fultons (Line Dry Selvage, McQueen), 2 Hutches (?Milk Blue?, Badlands). Filson/Fulton are slim straight legs, Hutch is a slim boot-cut.

6) Nudie Straight Sven One Wash (you can see it on denimbar - you can also see the ES Fulton in Line dry).

7) BYA Aiden - basically, a loose bootcut. Not great, but decent.

Here's what will be in my rotation after summer - I'll wear the same shoes with them:
    1) Chip & Pepper (twin city japanese selvage, low rise straight leg, mauro gave it a good recommendation in a previous post)
    2) Corpus Morphy Bootcut
    3) assorted 575 stuff
    4) 7FAM standard in Munich (slim straight leg).
    There are probably a few others. I have a RRL slim bootcut (sanforized selvage) which I may have altered to fit me better, or I might just flip it on ebay.

Here's what is in my knockaround pile - Lucky, Gap, J Crew, DKNY - all at least 4 years old except for the Lucky.

As for shoe size, 10.5D. One other thing - I rarely wear tapered jeans, unless the tapering is so slight. Never liked the excessively tapered look.

7. NoVaguy

My perspective is probably skewed because the only pair of Lobbs I own are these, in dark brown with the double sole. Definitely not dainty.
    [​IMG]

yeah, that would be skewed. i could wear those with jeans, although i probably would pick something else.

8. drizzt3117

I own Jermyn II, City, Westminster, Vale, and Canonbury, which are all pretty sleek and dainty with jeans IMO.

9. lawyerdad

I own Jermyn II, City, Westminster, Vale, and Canonbury, which are all pretty sleek and dainty with jeans IMO.

You must be gay, then.

10. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

You should try them. I'd never wear cap toes etc with jeans, but the Jermyn II's look like boots when worn. If I still had mine I'd definitely rock them with jeans. Most any plain toe shoe works with jeans.

I've a pair of those Williams that Lawyerdad posted and I do wear those with jeans, that would be the sole exception to my no cap-toe with jeans rule.

11. DMcG

DMcG Well-Known Member

I think that dress shoes can definitely be worn with jeans. As to which dress shoes I feel that you need to take the jeans, and really the whole look, into account. A sleek plaintoe monk may look great with some jeans. A longwing blucher with a double sole might be best with different jeans. Its hard to effectively come up with "rules" for something like this when so much variation is possible.

12. josepidal

As far as finding the posts...

[​IMG]

Dude, I'll search for photos of you and go through that really, really long thread for each and every post you made there when I have a pressing need to.

13. NoVaguy

the moment you say this:

yoo've expressed the pressing need as below:

Dude, I'll search for photos of you and go through that really, really long thread for each and every post you made there when I have a pressing need to.

additionally, you can just search inside the thread by the user name - you'll find a picture in 10-20 seconds. I know you can, because I did. I found a picture of drizzt wear "Paul Smith, Nudie, Mantellassi" rather quickly.

Key is to look for something that lists the items he is wearing. that means there will probably be a picture.

14. josepidal

Yeah, that's half a minute I don't want to spend looking for a photo of a specific guy for no particular reason.

Anyway, since you insist, I did it.

Drizzt has a very built upper body and is a bit of a stocky guy, but wears pretty slim jeans relative to his upper body. My opinion is that because of this disproportion (and his legs look really skinny in some of those photos), he has to wear more solid shoes like A-Es to make up. When he's wearing a suit jacket, the silhouette of his body would change and mask some of this disproportion due to the kind of pants he wears, so he can wear the "dainty" Lobbs.

I don't think this applies to a lot of guys. Thoughts?

By the way, the dress shoes and t-shirt look just does not agree with me.

15. drizzt3117

Ok then, I'm not the one who needs pics of my outfits, I have plenty of them. If you're too lazy to do a search then fuck off.

16. drizzt3117

Drizzt has a very built upper body and is a bit of a stocky guy, but wears pretty slim jeans relative to his upper body. My opinion is that because of this disproportion (and his legs look really skinny in some of those photos), he has to wear more solid shoes like A-Es to make up. When he's wearing a suit jacket, the silhouette of his body would change and mask some of this disproportion due to the kind of pants he wears, so he can wear the "dainty" Lobbs.

I don't think this applies to a lot of guys. Thoughts?

By the way, the dress shoes and t-shirt look just does not agree with me.

I don't wear chunkier shoes to balance out my upper body at all, I don't care about that, and that's patently obvious if you've followed posts on this forum in the past year.

I simply think the nature of the fabric makes dress shoes that are sleeker appear incongruous.

17. josepidal

I don't wear chunkier shoes to balance out my upper body at all, I don't care about that, and that's patently obvious if you've followed posts on this forum in the past year.
    Well, if you wore sleek shoes of any kind, then your body would look even more out of proportion, or at least that's what I infer from a couple of your photos.

Anyway, I guess you're saying that I have to read every single post you've made in the past year and stared at every single photo you've posted here before I have a right to try to understand what you're saying.

Or did I misunderstand this, too, becuase I haven't and I haven't?

18. WayneGibbous

WayneGibbous Well-Known Member

My fav: Light blue jeans with light brown suede. Boots or loafers either way.

19. josepidal

Are you a fan of suede chukkas?

20. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Well-Known Member

I can't even tell you how honored I am that the "search!" screencap I took is being used as munitions in a flamewar. [​IMG]