1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Dress shirt material

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cyber0066, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Pink22m

Pink22m Well-Known Member

You've obviously never tried Robert Talbott MTM, which is a totally different story from their RTW shirts. Even then, Talbott RTW is still better than many other RTW shirt makers out there that cost the same price (ie Pink). I would also argue that Talbott is underrated, since they don't get mentioned that often on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter.

2. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

You've obviously never tried Robert Talbott MTM, which is a totally different story from their RTW shirts. Even then, Talbott RTW is still better than many other RTW shirt makers out there that cost the same price (ie Pink). I would also argue that Talbott is underrated, since they don't get mentioned that often on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter.

I agree. While the fit may not be to the taste of this forum, the construction and details of the shirt (decent buttons, pattern-matched split yoke, etc) are better than many other brands in the same price range ($130-$160). Their fabrics are also quite nice and are offered in some wonderful patterns.

3. Carey

Carey Well-Known Member

I have two Robert Talbott (one I bought for 50% off, and the other my wife gave me for a present and paid full retail). These shirts are expensive for RTW at $75.00 and $150.00 respectively. Both have shrunk in the collar so much that they measure about a 15, when they were made in size 16 - 35. I can't imagine that the MTM is much better, bbut if you say so then OK. But my experience with their RTW leaves me looking elsewhere.

4. Pink22m

Pink22m Well-Known Member

That is quite puzzling. Where did you purchase the shirts? How are they laundered? I have never had this problem with any of my dress shirts, Talbott included.

5. Cyber0066

Cyber0066 Well-Known Member

6. Carey

Carey Well-Known Member

That is quite puzzling. Where did you purchase the shirts? How are they laundered? I have never had this problem with any of my dress shirts, Talbott included.
    First (an oxford cloth) was purchased four years ago at an upscale men's store, who sells Zegna, H-F, and Oxxford. The second (broadcloth in a green stripe) was purchased last Christmas at Nordstrom. I have my shirts professionally laundered - light starch only. My Individualized custom shirts have not shrunk, but several Ike Behar's and every McClure (maker of men's store brands) has shrunk. RTW Talbott is no better, so I am sticking with Individualized, the Nordstrom black label, and I plan to try some Jantzen.

7. smartmen

smartmen New Member

I prefer linen for casual summer shirts, wool/cashemere/silk for casul shirts in fall and winter. Only cotton for dress-shirts.