1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Dress in Academia

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Academic2, Jul 23, 2015.

1. mosivy

mosivy Well-Known Member

@WhereNext

Indeed, I meant the former, as @Academic2 read.

1 person likes this.
  2. WhereNext

WhereNext Well-Known Member

I remain both relieved and disappointed.
    In terms of clothing styles: one of my students, who has been in my class for about 10 hours, had a whole conversation with me the other day as a stranger, as she did not recognize me in my very casual clothes (as opposed to coat and tie in class). The realization on her face when she asked what I did at the School was quite hilarious.

2 people like this.
  3. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

Things I can look forward to. Will provide feedback re attractiveness of pharma reps vs publishing reps

4. voltnaire

voltnaire Member

I admit to not having read through the full thread, but I wonder if any current students have chimed in, or whether opinions of such a person would be appreciated?

2 people like this.
  5. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Yes, a number of students have contributed, and all are welcome.

Cheers,

Ac

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I am interested in student perspectives as well.

---

One of goals is to get a student to comment on my dress on ratemyprofessor. Clearly my priorities are unimpeachable.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  7. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

"I don't care if you learn in my class, I just want you to think I dress well."

1 person likes this.
  8. Claghorn

I see you've read my syllabus.

6 people like this.
  9. Claghorn

On a different and relevant note, a student (who I think is my oldest student, in her late 20s) mentioned that she appreciates that I dress well for class and that it bugs her sometimes when professors don't make an effort to manage their appearance at all. I mention her age because I wonder if its a generational thing, that kids born in the 80s are really going to be the last to have those expecations of their professors. As an 80s kid myself, I didn't have those expecations of my professors, so chances are the prevalence of those expecations has been waning for a while.

1 person likes this.
  10. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

I have to assume this is the case.

But it’s just a guess. It’s frustrating for those of us with an interest in the psychology and sociology of dress that we have so little hard data to work with. Other disciplines—political history, for instance—have decades of annual survey data through which they can track historical changes in attitude. If there’s anything like that for men’s apparel I’m unaware of it.

It would be nice if professional costume historians started surveying such attitudes, but in my experience they tend (1) not to be interested until a certain amount of time has passed and thus not interested in documenting current states of affairs, and, (2) to be more interested in costume as a physical artifact rather than attitudes toward it.

Sigh.

Cheers
    Ac

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  11. AMProf

AMProf Well-Known Member

There's a small literature in organizational sociology/organizational behavior on dress in organizations, but it mostly focuses on social identity and/or organizational culture issues. Probably one of the best known articles is by Pratt and Rafaeli: https://www.jstor.org/stable/256951?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents , and Anat Rafaeli has a few others. Not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a little bit out there.

1 person likes this.
  12. Claghorn

Though I've not seen him around much, I think that might be @FlyingMonkey's area of interest

13. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

Would cordovan dress shoes (alden dark burgundy perf cap toe oxfords) be appropriate for academic interviews (positions at professional schools)?

My other options are brown calf half-brogues, and dark brown calf moc-toe loafers

14. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

Yes. Don't worry for a moment about that.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  15. WhereNext

Yeah, shouldn't be an issue. Particularly if there's a decent shine/gloss to them (just generally in good nick).

16. AMProf

AMProf Well-Known Member

Given that the norm is square toed black Ecco's, you're far above the curve with that choice.

2 people like this.
  17. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Yes they are shiny. My concern was whether too shiny!

ha! indeed, I was worried if the cordovan aldens would be considered too opulent actually

18. WhereNext

If they're in good shape, then they're good to go and I wouldn't worry the least about it. Most people will never look or care (and most would definitely be in glass houses to look down upon someone else's footwear, anyway!).

19. yanagi

yanagi Well-Known Member

A pair of perf cap toe oxfords in dark burgundy is perfectly cromulent.