1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Down vests over suit coats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LeonM, Oct 24, 2009.

1. MrBon

MrBon Well-Known Member

i think a full or 3/4 length top coat would look much better, i could only say in my opinion, it just doesn't look good.

2. pandamonium

pandamonium Well-Known Member

If all your friends were wearing dress socks as pocket squares, would you do it, too?

3. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

If all your friends were wearing dress socks as pocket squares, would you do it, too?

What if your only friend is Mr. Moo?

4. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Don't see the pics.

Over a jacket or under?

A vest under a jacket is common. Over I've never seen. A vest under a jacket is common enough you'll see jackets sold with a zip out lining.

Remember it's not normal to turn the heat on just because you're feeling a slight chill . People around here believe you should dress for the weather. Tourists often end up with blue bits.

5. incastoutcast

incastoutcast Well-Known Member

There is something charming about wearing down over a structured jacket. It adds a layer of sporty ruggedness to a refined interior. It's like looking at the cross-section of a tree, the beautiful golden wood is surrounded by a coarse shell of bark. Mmmmm.... trees.

If you want sporty ruggedness over a refined interior, wear a tweed coat. I don't know what sort of hallucinogen-induced trees you're thinking of, but tree bark is generally rough, not nylon-smooth and lumpy, in neon colors. Besides, the tweed looks better than the puffer, and will remain in style longer.

Was that so hard?

6. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

If you want sporty ruggedness over a refined interior, wear a tweed coat.

In the city?

7. clausc

clausc Well-Known Member

I would not wear it, but I am planning to use this colour combination. I bought yesterday some grey flannel pants and a tan car coat from Cucinelli (and I'm ruined) that I'm planning to wear with some light brown suede Tod's chukka boots. I might wear one of their vests over a jumper.

Bruno Cucinelli Puffer Jacket
    [​IMG] link article

8. hammer07

hammer07 Well-Known Member

It's been done before in Cucinelli catalogues but definitely not a city look.

9. clausc

clausc Well-Known Member

Certainly a very 'milanese' look.

10. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Certainly a very 'milanese' look.

It is a very Italian look like suede shoes and coloured trousers.

I went to Florence in the winter and everybody had these padded anoraks...

11. LeonM

LeonM Well-Known Member

I think it'd be almost doable if the vest were as long or longer than the jacket.

This is one of the jarring points. The padded gilet only reaches the waist.

Over a jacket or under?

A vest under a jacket is common. Over I've never seen. A vest under a jacket is common enough you'll see jackets sold with a zip out lining.

Over. Although I have seen the giacca con gilet as well. Have to get a whole extra coat for that.

[​IMG]

Perhaps the general horror at the idea, is that outside Italy, this is not done.

Leon

12. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Don't it looks silly and there is a absolutely no requirement for thoughtless compliance.

13. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot Well-Known Member

i think vest over the suit looks great. i have penfield vest that i wear over my flannel suits when its cold and it looks great. also the majority of my trips to milan and florence in the winter i've seen this look by the italians. though the ones they have have breast pockets. thank goodness i havn't seen a pocket square in one of them though. HA

so yes, don't mind the haters on this thread. go for it sir. each his own.

14. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I would not wear it, but I am planning to use this colour combination. I bought yesterday some grey flannel pants and a tan car coat from Cucinelli (and I'm ruined) that I'm planning to wear with some light brown suede Tod's chukka boots. I might wear one of their vests over a jumper.

Bruno Cucinelli Puffer Jacket
    [​IMG] link article

This doesn't look too bad to me. I wouldn't wear the jacket with the suit, but I'd certainly wear the suede chukkas.

15. 82-Greg

82-Greg Well-Known Member

This doesn't look too bad to me. ...

Trousers are too short. Almost makes him look like the awkward teenager who has outgrown this school years clothes and his parents won't buy him more trousers till the start of next school year.

The gray of the trousers and the coat don't match and don't complement one another. As a matter of fact it looks like he got the coat from one suit (worsted?) and the trousers from a similar -- though slightly differently colored -- flannel suit.

Topping it off with the puffy coat (or vest) is truly an abomination!

Puffy coats (or vests) over suits are disasters! It marks the Visigoths at the gates! Do not let them in!

16. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Trousers are too short. Almost makes him look like the awkward teenager who has outgrown this school years clothes and his parents won't buy him more trousers till the start of next school year.

The gray of the trousers and the coat don't match and don't complement one another. As a matter of fact it looks like he got the coat from one suit (worsted?) and the trousers from a similar -- though slightly differently colored -- flannel suit.

Topping it off with the puffy coat (or vest) is truly an abomination!

Puffy coats (or vests) over suits are disasters! It marks the Visigoths at the gates! Do not let them in!

I didn't look closely enough, I thought it was a suit, not odd jacket and pants. I agree with you on the jacket/pant combo.

17. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

Puffy anything with a suit ≠ good look.

18. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

^^ I also thought it was a suit and didnt pay much attention. Now that Greg has pointed it out the mismatched jacket and trousers seem to look even more jarring than the puffer jacket.

Also am I the only one who thinks Cucinelli's personal dress sense is highly over-rated. The sartorialist blog goes on as if hes something really special.

The down vest over suit makes several appearances on the BC website in both short and long version

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

^^^ This looks terrible

20. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I didn't look closely enough, I thought it was a suit, not odd jacket and pants. I agree with you on the jacket/pant combo.
    I missed that too ... thinking it a suit. I just assumed a slight difference in lighting. I must pay more attention.

As for the short trousers ... perhaps he's anticipating "high water" ... but if so ... there go the Chukkas.