1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Double Monk Conundrum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by msart84, Nov 13, 2011.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I've used a couple of coats of Reno. It definitely does not have the feel of Alden.

More business for Saphir!!!

2. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

Nice!, EG wins. The Ramsey is not in the same league of the other 2.

3. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Well-Known Member

4. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  5. mxgreen

mxgreen Well-Known Member

There is a good chance that BB will have a 40% off sale on shoes on one of the remaining days of this week.

6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

Why is there a good chance of that? What's the occasion?

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Apparently between the times of 3 and 6 AM this Saturday, all shoes at BB will be 50% off, except for the Cordovan collection.

Online only, of course.

8. SuitedDx

Holiday sales probably

9. kungapa

kungapa Well-Known Member

3 and 6 AM? On a Saturday? Those are hours I'd either be drinking or sleeping, not online shopping.

10. EBugatti

EBugatti Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  11. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

Aren't some of the BB Peal & Co shoes made by Loake? Can't this be a suede version of the Loake Cannon?

12. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Anybody have any experience or thoughts in regards to the C&J Repton availible from Ben Silver?

13. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

It's a C&J. As Steve Smith helpfully pointed out, C&J BB shoes use a 'blocky' font inside of the shoes. The Loake 'font' is larger.

14. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Well-Known Member

Few questions:

1. Anyone have stills of the bb peal monk in brown leather?

2. What's the difference bw the sid mashburn and AS Ramsey, other than stitching and the sole? maybe the SM has a sleeker toe, but I can't tell.

15. BenMurphy

BenMurphy Well-Known Member

Sort of unrelated, but rather than starting a new thread I thought Id post here.

Does anyone know of a brand that makes a double monk boot? Ive been searching for a tan double monk strap chukka/half boot.
    This is the closest thing Ive found:
    https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...sa=X&ei=j0cJUvRO5-HgA4b7gbAF&ved=0CJABEMATMAk
    But I've heard some questionable things about Stacy Adams quality, and the boot is generally far from perfect. They are also not offered in tan.

I thought maybe with the wealth of info on double monks here someone may know! Appreciate any feedback.

16. SuitedDx

John Lobb and St. Crispin make DM ankle boots; Barker Black makes a tripple monk I believe.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  17. khe86

khe86 Well-Known Member

Bringing up an old thread to get some feedbacks. I got the 40% BB discount card good for one item. I ended up buying a Peal & Co brown double monk, made by Crockett & Jones on the 341 last:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.®-Double-Monk-Strap-Shoes/MH00231,default,pd.html

The actual color of the shoes are much darker and came out to $410 with tax.

I have two questions:

1. Between the black and brown, which one is a better purchase? I don't think the brown looks as good when dressed down compared to the black. Thoughts?

2. Are there better options at similar price point? I know this has been discussed before but what are some thoughts a more chiseled toe, like the CJ Lowndes or the Paul Stuart Newbery? And thoughts on the Carmina double monks compared to this? I like the carmina shoes that epaulet has but it will run an additional $200.

Thanks

18. chaz44

chaz44 Member

Curious what others think as well as i just picked up the Peal & Co double monks in brown. I've been waiting for the C&J Lowndes for over 10 weeks and just gave up. I got 25% off and was pretty happy with the purchase. I thought i would've preferred the Lowndes on the 348 last over the 341 last (little more rounded toe), but after trying it on yesterday, I really love how it looks. And paying $475 vs $625 certainly swayed the decision as well.

In regards to the color, i just always prefer brown over black, think brown is much more interesting and looks better dressed up or down.

I've seen and have tried on the PS Newbery, the toe is way too chiseled for my taste, very aggressive styling.
    I really like their Turner double monk, but at $728, i'd wait for the Lowndes.

I've looked at a lot of double monks in the $400 - $600 price range and haven't found better options.