1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Double-breasted suits possible for short and slim?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alias, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

I've been trying to sort this one out in my head for a while. I know us short guys are under pressure to stay away from double-breasted suits, but I like the new cuts (here's an example.) http://www.perryellis.com/tailored_clothing/1.jpg I notice the peak lapels are on the slim side, the gorges are higher, and that the waist is shaped. Would such a cut be suitable for someone who's slim and short?

2. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

I do not know how short you are, but I think a good, well tailored, good fitting DB suit looks good on anyone. The key is well tailored, good fitting. I'm not exactly tall, 5' 8", but I wear DBs all the time. And I've seen some natty looking gentlemen who are much shorter than I wear them. I think a DB suit has so much distinction and class. Go for it.

3. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Well-Known Member

It's been my understanding that it's not short men who should stay away from DB suits, but rather men who are short and squat, lest the proportions of the suit emphasize their girth. There are many examples of short and slim men who wear double-breasted suits elegantly. Frank Sinatra comes to mind.

4. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

Well, I'm short, and I like to think I look pretty good in a DB.

In the picture you have, though, the bottom hem of the jacket is probably a few inches too long, which will cause a short man to look shorter.

5. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

Agreed, that's one thing I don't like about the picture, even though it's just an example. I like my jackets cut a little short so my legs don't look stumpy.