1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Double Breasted Suits: 6 Button Vs. 4, Cast your vote?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Vs. [​IMG]

I think the 6 is the way to go.
    Cast your vote

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Six, without question. More specifically, 6 on 2. I won't say that every four is an abomination, but I can't think of one I wanted to wear.

3. denning

denning Well-Known Member

Many say that young people shouldn't wear double breasted suits. However, Whoopee's recent chan acquisition should be enough to silence even the most arden critics. I am only barely 25 and have 2 double breasted suits, one which I am wearing today and is by far my favourite suit. In terms of buttons, I favour the 6x2 by far.

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

6x2 here, as well. Frankly, I'd be surprised if a single soul spoke up in preference for the 4X1, although I suppose it must have its partisans, however small their numbers may be.

5. Aureus

Aureus Well-Known Member

6x2 for me defintely.

The 4x1, and the 6x1 both look bad IMO.

6. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

6x2 with no hesitation. Difference betqween unimaginative & tradly (I'll catch flak for this one [​IMG] ) and rakish and smart!

[​IMG]

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

In dramatically sinking order of preference:

6x2
    4x1
    6x1

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I have seen decent 4x1s, mostly in old pictures. They are rare, however. 4x1 is also great for a shawl DJ. The 4x1 in the pic is just fugly. Waist too low, lousy button stance, overwide shoulders, and skinny notched (!) lapels. Nothing personal, Soph. Also, don't forget the 4x2, which is the classic blazer.

The 6x1 can be terrific if it is cut right. I hate the typical department store unwaisted keystone stance 6x1.

9. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

6 X 2. The button stance and higher waist is not only aesthetically more pleasing, but also favors my tall, relatively slender body.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

the 6x2.

but if done right, would prefer 6x3 [​IMG]

11. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

6 on 2 is so incredibly sharp that it's a shame to see a 4 on 2, especially a navy one with gold buttons.

12. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I've seen good-looking 4x2s. But if you want to see a DB worn well, check out Fred Astaire in Top Hat, with a DB dinner jacket. I don't see how anyone can not like a DB jacket after seeing how FA wears his.

The 6x2 looks a bit odd with the ticket pocket, however.

--Andre

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

How about a 4x2 rolled to a 4x1?

14. ollie

ollie Active Member

Hi there, i would be very happy to have the several db types, e.g. 6x3, 6x2 etc. explained. I searched the forum but wasn`t really able to figure it out....
    Thank you

15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Hi there, i would be very happy to have the several db types, e.g. 6x3, 6x2 etc. explained. I searched the forum but wasn`t really able to figure it out....
    Thank you

The first number is the total number of front buttons. The second is the number that can actually button. That's why the first suit depicted is called 6x2: six total buttons, two can button. The top two are strictly for show. The left (his left) two are to balance the functional buttons on the other side, and hence, also strictly for show.

16. ollie

ollie Active Member

Hello Manton, i got it, thank you. While we are at it, on a 6x2, is there a rule, where the two bottom buttons should be? What i mean is, on two of my Db´s the bottom buttons are on the same line as the bottom line of the pocket flaps, on one other jacket they are in line with the top of the pocket...

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

There is a rule of sorts that the pocket opening should line up with the bottom buttons of any coat. However, good tailors play with the pocket hieght to flatter a guy's physique. Lowering the pockets helps to elongate the look of a coat, where as higher pockets are good on tall guys.

Where the buttons themselves go is harder to say. The waist button of any coat should be at the jacket's waist or narrowest point. That may or may not be at the wearer's natural waist, depending on how the coat is cut. Personally, I like it to be at my natural waist or even a hair higher. Once the waist button is set, it's a matter of how far you space out the other buttons, which is mostly a function of your height, and also a matter of preference. 4" to 4.5" is standard. Personally, I would only go less than 4.5" on someone really short.

18. ollie

ollie Active Member

Thank you Manton, two more questions :
    1.On a 6x2 (which i already have), is it possible to attach the upper two buttons a tad bit higher, and so create the illusion of more length in the jacket?
    2. Can a 4x2 be converted into a 6x2?

Thank you

19. gefinzi

gefinzi Well-Known Member

I like the 4x2. Didn't the Duke of Windsor sometimes wear them? I had a 4x2 by Thresher and Glenny that looked great. I don't dislike the 6x2, but the upper buttons seem a bit superfluous...I write that recognizing that many things on a suit might be categorized as superfluous but the extra buttons strike me especially that way. I generally don't like either 6x1 or 4x1, although 6x1 was sometimes well done in the 1930s (as I recall there is a photo of the Duke of Kent looking stylish in a 6x1 in Dressing the Man). I agree the 4x1 at the start of this thread looks awful.

20. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Thanks to the AA post here is a better representation of the 4 DB.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]