1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Donald J. Pliner...Quality???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eric, Mar 14, 2006.

1. southbound35

southbound35 Well-Known Member

Even though the prevailing opinion seems to be that Pliner shoes seem to be on the worse end of the value/price spectrum, I've been pleased with the one pair that I've purchased. However, the ones I purchased were not a loafer like the one linked in the first post of the thread. Mine were of construction similar to this one:

http://images.colehaan.com//is/image...EComm/SEARCH_A

The above pic is of a Cole Haan b/c I could not find a similar Pliner to the pair I bought 3-4 years ago. I've had mine reheeled two or three times and resoled once. They still look good and have held up nicely.

2. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

pardon me, but is the name "donald pliner" an italian name?

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Massaro makes the shoes for the couture houses of Chanel, Christian Lacroix, etc. Women's bespoke shoes reached their high point through the '20s to the '50s when rich bixesuals/lesbians a la Radclyffe Hall looking for men's styled shoes and cinema stars patronized the cobblers such as Francois Pinet, Salvatore Ferragamo, Andres Perugia, Pietro Yanturni, Massaro, etc. Roger Vivier who used to work for Christian Dior also had bespoke operations, but his claim to fame is the low pump sought after during the Swinging Sixties. Here is Ferragamo with his bespoke lasts: [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. IndigOshare

IndigOshare New Member

Hello all! I am a new member as of today, although I have been lurking for some time now. This DJP thread prompted me to join so that I could be one of the many to voice my disappointment with DJP shoes, particularly THE GLUE! Damn Italian mountain glue is just not up to snuff.
    N.

5. tbabes

tbabes Well-Known Member

The most uncomfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned in my life happened to be "made in the moutains of italy" by DJP.

I hope the Salvation Army was able to put them to good use.

Brian

6. mbc

mbc Well-Known Member

I dug up this thread because I recently asked my father, after a lifetime of wearing dress shoes (mostly Church's), what the most comfortable ones he owned were, and he said it was a pair of Donald Pliner shoes. FWIW.

7. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

maybe the quality of italian mountain glue back in the day is far superior to the ones they extract nowadays.

8. mbc

mbc Well-Known Member

They just don't make italian mountain glue like they used to.