1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Does this suit, tie, and short work together? If not, why?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by azactro, Jan 29, 2016.

1. azactro

azactro Member

I found this dark green/black gingham shirt in my closet and started thinking about which suits it would pair with. I need some second opinions on this combination. The pocket square was honestly just sitting in the jacket, but it can be included in this post for the sake of education.

The suit is navy blue as a reference.

It is not for work or any special occasion, so it doesn't need to work for more conservative settings.

[​IMG]

What tie would you substitute for? Why doesn't it work for you?

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Well-Known Member

It'll work as an English country gentry look.
    I'd wear that combo any day. [​IMG]

3. azactro

azactro Member

Awesome. Thanks @Purplelabel It's good to know I'm not alone. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Well-Known Member

Its also nice to see a windsor knot in the sea of four in hands! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. starro

starro Well-Known Member

Looks good. If I'd tweak one thing, it would be to "tone down" the contrast level of either the necktie or the pocket square.

e.g. if you want the tie to stand out from the shirt, then the PS should complement the gingham design.

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Black grenadine tie.

7. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Well-Known Member

"Its also nice to see a windsor knot in the sea of four in hands! :cheers:"

Amen!

8. colco

colco Well-Known Member

9. azactro

azactro Member

I've never liked how the four-in-hand looked. I realize it has a purpose, but I feel the only thing it does right is make the windsor look even better.
    This would be my other choice. I already knew this worked though.

10. azactro

azactro Member

I was waiting for someone to mention it.

I agree that would be a great look for the weekend. Just wanted to see if there were any other uses for this shirt.

Thank you for your input!

11. azactro

azactro Member

Thank you for your advice.

At the moment I'm not sure I have any PS that would complement the design well. Doesn't seem like a PS I would get much use out of currently other than this shirt. Maybe one day!

12. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Well-Known Member

I agree with Ich Dien that a solid black tie would look much better. I'd go for a knit silk in black, myself, since a grenadine seems a bit formal for that shirt. A solid forest green tie could also work: again, I'd go for a knit silk.

I agree with colco that the ensemble is busy. I think it's mainly because the white spots in the tie look almost the same size as the white squares in the shirt, and the maroon ground of the tie is competing with the black check in the shirt. The eye has trouble telling the two apart, even though it knows they're different. (It's quite a nice tie, btw.)

The hank looks splendid with that ensemble. I'm not sure that I'd keep it if I switched to a solid black tie. I think it would work with a solid forest green.

13. azactro

azactro Member

I agree completely with the knit tie and what you are saying regarding the white dots and checks being of similar size makes complete sense. This was what I was most worried about and curious if any one else thought they were too similar.

It's probably my favorite. :)

Thanks Testudo!