• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does the sports coat have to match the pants?

locallau

Reaction score
Forgive the repetition of these kinds of questions, but I skimmed/read through much of the existing threads on interview attire, and don't think I came across something directly involving my question. If there was, I'll apologize beforehand.

I have an interview in 1-2 weeks. A little while ago, my uncle took me to Burlington Coat Factory to pick-up a blazer for casual/semi-formal use. But after reading the threads, I'm lead to believe that I can use this "blazer" as a suit/sports coat for my interview. It's a dark navy blue from Jones New York.

Now for my question : Does interview attire require a matching suit/sports coat and pants?

The only pants I have available are black dress pants, and some regular khaki pants.

I feel the black looks ridiculous with the navy blue, and the khaki pants would look too informal (should it come down to it though, I'd wear the khaki pants).

What kind of pants could I get to match? or are the khakis alright?

I'm a sophomore in college by the way, and this is for a summer internship in human resources.

I'll upload pictures later today to give an idea of the color and see if it can pass as a suit/sports coat.

*semi-related, the only formal black shoes I have are black ones with a flat-toe end (don't know what it's called) that I used for prom. Will those do?

Thank you very much in advance.

Tashtego

Reaction score
A sport coat + khakis looks like you're headed to lunch at the golf course, not to an interview. I'm assuming money is an issue- try to pick up a reasonably priced suit in the next two weeks. Something on sale at Macy's will look better for you than your current plan.

The most important thing is to wear something you feel confident in- if you're nervous about your clothes, that will project during the interview.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with a real suit. The blue blazer/khaki combo is also know, I believe, as the California tuxedo. It's way to casual.

The shoe you mentioned sounds like a squared-toe pair. It is very late 90's and best ditched.

Sublime_Law

Reaction score
the sportcoat/blazer should never match the trousers. You can wear a navy blazer with grey pants, which is a popular business choice. Wearing a navy blazer with khaki pants looks very country club. If you only have black pants, it could go with a grey houndstooth sportcoat or something like that, but I wouldn't wear it for business. You should never wear black pants with a navy blazer. If you match pants to a sportcoat/blazer it looks odd because the colors and fabrics usually don't match and it looks sloppy. Only suits should match.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are two distinct looks in tailored menswear. A suit (matching jacket and trousers) is the most formal and is the only really acceptable alternative for "white collar" job interviews. You can buy an inexpensive suit that will meet your needs.

Here's a Joseph A Bank model for $197. Buy it in solid navy blue and you'll have a very versatile suit that you can wear to work or to college dinners, etc.
http://www.josbank.com/IWCatProductP...duct_Id=436426

The second distinct look is a sports jacket or blazer and non-matching trousers. This is different and less formal. It may, or may not be fine to wear to work after you get the job (depending on the dress code of the office) but I wouldn't wear it for an interview. Do not under any circumstances attempt to buy navy blue pants to match your blazer. This will look very bad. A navy blazer pairs well with khaki's (very informal) or light, medium or dark grey trousers for a slightly dressier look. You are correct that black is out for a pairing.

With a suit for interviews you'll need an inexpensive white shirt and a fairly conservative tie.

Good luck. Let us know if you have other questions.

yayo

Reaction score
A propos of this thread... I recently bought a pair of very light khaki/cream-colored wool trousers, which I am planning to wear to work. They look weird with my navy sports coat. Anyone have any suggestions on what color/pattern sportscoat will match khaki/cream-colored pants??

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yayo
A propos of this thread... I recently bought a pair of very light khaki/cream-colored wool trousers, which I am planning to wear to work. They look weird with my navy sports coat. Anyone have any suggestions on what color/pattern sportscoat will match khaki/cream-colored pants??

I am surprised you would even ask. This is a classic color combination sanctioned by no less a personage than Beau Brummel himself.

yayo

Reaction score
hmm... Maybe because the coat has pinstripes... I don't know, it looks fine with gray pants but strange with cream-colored

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go the other route, instead of buying a sportscoat buy a navy suit and when you need to go casual split it with a pair of gray flannels. Go solid for your first one.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the navy sports coat has pinstripes, it is likely not a sports coat, but an orphaned suit jacket. A navy blazer is solid.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by locallau
What kind of pants could I get to match? or are the khakis alright?

I'm a sophomore in college by the way, and this is for a summer internship in human resources.

While I agree with the other posters that a gray or navy suit is much better interview attire, I think that a blue blazer with gray wool pants and a white cotton dress shirt and a tie would be fine for your interview for a summer internship.

yayo

Reaction score
Hmm...I don't know- H&M sells navy pinstripe sportscoats.

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by locallau
*semi-related, the only formal black shoes I have are black ones with a flat-toe end (don't know what it's called) that I used for prom. Will those do?
Probably not. Get some sleek-looking laceup shoes.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
While I agree with the other posters that a gray or navy suit is much better interview attire, I think that a blue blazer with gray wool pants and a white cotton dress shirt and a tie would be fine for your interview for a summer internship.

I agree. College students are generally given a pass when it comes to dressing exactly according to the rules because interviewers assume they can't necessarily afford a suit. It's far more important IMO to appear neat, clean, and well-groomed.

A navy blazer and dark charcoal gray trousers are one step below a suit in formality and should work OK. The darker the trousers the more formal the look (so I wouldn't wear a navy blazer and khaki trousers to an interview unless I couldn't afford gray), but don't pair black trousers with navy. Also, don't wear navy trousers with a navy blazer. Even if you could get an exact color match, the textures will almost certainly be different and you'll end up looking like a rube who tried to build a suit from a blazer and odd trousers.

Oh, welcome and good luck with the interview!

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yayo
Hmm...I don't know- H&M sells navy pinstripe sportscoats.

How unfortunate. At least explains the matching problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics