1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Does Outkast sample?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Tarmac, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

Does Outkast use samples? I know a few of their songs are re-workings of a few old choruses and what not, but in general?

I was debating with a friend, he said that the vast majority of their huge hits, classics, have nothing sampled at all, that he knew of.

ATLiens? Elevators...Wheelz of Steel? Ms Jackson? Hey ya? The Way You Move? BOB? They all have tremendous choruses. They aren't even re-sing-ings of anything. or are they?

2. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

Does Outkast use samples? I know a few of their songs are re-workings of a few old choruses and what not, but in general?

I was debating with a friend, he said that the vast majority of their huge hits, classics, have nothing sampled at all, that he knew of.

ATLiens? Elevators...Wheelz of Steel? Ms Jackson? Hey ya? The Way You Move? BOB? They all have tremendous choruses. They aren't even re-sing-ings of anything. or are they?

I['m pretty sure "The Way You Move" and "B.O.B." both get their melodies from old '80s songs, but I'll be damned if I can place them.

At the very least, "Skew it on the Bar-B" samples Henry Mancini, IIRC.

But Outkast/Organised Noise were really pioneers of using live instruments and sequences rather than samples.

3. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

i know hey-ya was from a chord progression 3000 came up with while learning guitar.

stankonia gives no acknowledgement of sampling in the liner notes. it's all original AFAIK.

wikipedia has samples used in the album entries. here are a few:

ATliens

speakerboxxx

4. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

a lot of those are incidental samples, sound effects, etc.

compare for example Kanye's most famous choruses or hooks, they are from other existing megahit pop songs. We are talking 7 weeks at #1 michael jackson hooks.

Outkast seems to never do this. The only time they did was for their debut, Southernplayalistic....

5. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

ah. i don't think they've ever lifted a melody. the way you move chorus sounds really familiar to me but i can't figure out what it is, if anything.

6. Soulmovement

Soulmovement New Member

Earth, Wind & Fire Ft. Kenny G - 'The Way You Move'

1 person likes this.
  7. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

wow..bumpin an almost 3yr old thread with da answer...
    :crackup:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. CosmeDaniel

CosmeDaniel Well-Known Member

I'm impressed he found the thread to begin with.

Stellar first post I have to say. Trumps my few posts.

9. driveslowk

driveslowk Well-Known Member

except that song actually is a cover of outkast's

10. dacox

dacox Well-Known Member

Yep

11. misnomer

misnomer Well-Known Member

Southern rap generally has less samples, Outkast is no exception. I think there are definitely some interpolated bit (rehashes of old melodies) in some tracks, but a lot of the samples are subtle. Since we're on the subject though, does anyone else recognize that "shhhwoooghh" noise at the start of ATLiens from that Alpha Centauri game?