1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Does humour belong in style?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by FlyingMonkey, Sep 29, 2011.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Simple question really. Or to put it another way, can clothes be funny and still be stylish? And if so, what are the requirements, if any, for the successful application of humour to clothes? Are there some good examples (pictures, please)?

Above all, how far can we get away with being a little bit jokey in what we wear without it either going unnoticed, dominating everything else about any particular fit, or just not being stylish any more?

2. El Gordo

El Gordo Well-Known Member

3. slack tide

slack tide Well-Known Member

It seems to me that people who attempt to incorporate humor into their style of dress are for lack of better description attention whores and more often times than not annoying IRL

4. AJPA

AJPA Well-Known Member

5. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

6. FlyingMonkey

7. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

I can confirm that I'm an obnoxious attention whore and I do inject "humor" into my style of dress.

I can also confirm that most people who care about what other people are wearing to the point that their entire day can be ruined by someone else's outfit are pretty fucking boring and absolutely worthless as human beings.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

I like the dead baby joke vibe Kunk gives off.

9. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

The only form of humor anyone knows any more is irony. Even me posting this fact is itself a meta-commentary which would implode on itself if taken any further.

10. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

What's the best part about nailing 100 babies to the wall?

Ripping them down.

11. slack tide

slack tide Well-Known Member

are we talking about dressing like a clown...or wearing a pin wheel hat or what?

12. kasakka

kasakka Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The easiest thing is T-shirts with a clever picture or text printed on it. Threadless has plenty. Goes well with streetwear.

Then there's clothing that walks the fine line between cool and gaudy. I've got this bright blue sportscoat with black houndstooth pattern that I've been told makes me look like a pimp or something out of Miami Vice, mostly because it's very unusual to see something like that here. So people get a laugh out of it and I get a laugh out of their comments.

The key trick is wearing it with confidence.

13. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

No.

1 person likes this.
  14. gastarbeider

gastarbeider Well-Known Member

you must be referring to the what are you wearing now/today thread regulars.

15. narm60

narm60 Well-Known Member

This thread title made me think: Does Humor Belong in Music?

Sup Zappa fans

16. Hatch&Whisk

Hatch&Whisk Well-Known Member

graphic tees and so on are kind of the tip of the iceberg, and the most obvious (potentially lame) route but i would say that theres tongue in cheek design and that if those garments are worn its definately "humor in style". i think you see it more in SW&D culture than traditional gear, but it shows up in more traditional menswear too.

couple things come to mind:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Jesus, no. No.

Edited to add: I hear there's a new movie out, it's called "Die Alan Cumming, Die!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  18. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

19. FlyingMonkey

Quote:
    [​IMG] It was meant to be a nod to the Mother of Invention. He certainly managed it, but then again, a lot of people don't get his sense of humour at all.

I quite like some referential T's, like those ones that use the logos from fictional companies in movies, but funny slogan T's are one thing I'd never do. IMO they are the most obvious form of humour in clothes, although Alan Cumming's trousers are coming pretty damn close behind. IMO they are the most obvious form of humour in clothes, although Alan Cumming's trousers are coming pretty damn close behind.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  20. FlyingMonkey

[accidental duplicate]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011