1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Doc Marten Boots In Style Anymore?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sloguy, Feb 28, 2007.

1. crosswound

crosswound Well-Known Member

you have to buy the ones that say they are made in england if its brand new the price difference will be obvious.

2. taint it sweet

taint it sweet Well-Known Member

That sucks... it looks like they only have a couple options available. Maybe I'll look into another brand...not sure if I trust the China models. Anybody have any experience with them?

3. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Well-Known Member

I trusted MiC derbies in grade 9. Those fucking shoes got me puking wasted on peach scnapps, then proceeded to fingerbang a girl I REALLY liked. I never forgave them.

1 person likes this.
  4. crosswound

Lolwut are you drinking now?

5. PurplePillEater

PurplePillEater Member

I had some MiE Martens a few years ago and got me a pair of 11-eye boots in burgundy from Solovair/Mikkel Rude and a 3-eye in black from Solovair this year.
    I think it's not the same leather, but has a good quality though and damn, they look amazing.

/edit: Wanted to say: Just take solovair! Not Docs!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  6. crosswound

Got my 1461 3 eyelet oxford forlife black smooth yesterday. Wearing them now seems pretty comfortable toebox a bit roomy true us 8.5 wearing uk8 probably why.

Looking forward to how these do in the winter.

7. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

How does Solovair fit? Looking at some boots.

8. GG Allin

GG Allin Well-Known Member

I usually wear a US 11 in most shoes and boots, and I ordered a 10uk in 8-eyelet solovairs. With a thin sock they are a bit loose, but with heavier wool ones they fit pretty nice. As you probably know, you just pull the laces tight and that generally prevents heel slippage for the taller ones. The aesthetic is a bit different from Doc martin's, though.

9. PurplePillEater

PurplePillEater Member

Yeah, they look much better.

10. Kerrick

Kerrick Well-Known Member

Would love to know how these are wearing if you're still watching the thread.

I think Solovair will be my next pickup if I can just figure where in the US has those oxbloods in stock.

11. heavyhoody

heavyhoody Active Member

They are kick ass. Very comfortable. IMO they run a tad larger then MiE Docs. I just picked up a pair of the MiE Langston green rub offs. They are killer as well. Both same quality. I think they are made in the same factory. Either way, solovair, or MiE Docs, you can't go wrong. Just stay away from the MiC Docs. Haha. They'll tear your feet up and fall apart in no time. The English made boots are well worth the price. Any questions please ask. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  12. Kerrick

Kerrick Well-Known Member

Hey man thanks for taking the time to reply! I actually have a pair of black MiE 1914s which I have mixed feelings about- the fit and build is great, exactly what I expected, but I guess I have reservations about Quilon leather- after 30-40 it strikes me as stiffish and seems like it wants to crease a lot but not settle onto my foot much. (I should stress that they're still super comfy and I wear them a lot anyway)

The oxblood Solovairs you posted at least look like they're a more supple type of leather, so I don't think that's anything to concern myself with. And actually, if you don't mind my asking, the cap toed oxbloods you posted earlier in the year are basically exactly the model I was looking for, I'd love to know where to find them. (Guessing Angry Young & Poor if you're in PA?)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  13. heavyhoody

heavyhoody Active Member

I got them from solovair direct. It doesn't look like the site is up anymore. You can buy them direct from England as well.

14. ayashia

ayashia New Member

Doc Marten is making a "vintage" line now that is Made in England, with the original specs supposedly. and they've always been wide

thats awsome i picked up some original uk make matte white 8 hole ones at the markets in sydeny and fell in love there starting to look a little scuffed now and i thought id get some new ones but havent liked any of the new look ones if that dosent hapen at least i can get them repaired anyone know a good place in canberra or sydeny

15. death shot

death shot Well-Known Member

I really love Solovair. I've been wearing them for a long time now. My first pair were oxblood monkey boots and they just won't die.

On some models the leather seems more supple as one person commented. I have a pair of Hawkins boots with said leather and they're far superior. I wear them pretty hard and after a shine they look gorgeous still. Very well made.

16. knucks

knucks Well-Known Member

sorta bumpin but i just got a pair of solovair gibson 3eye and they are dope dope.longer wear will tell