1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Doc Marten Boots In Style Anymore?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sloguy, Feb 28, 2007.

1. artishard116

artishard116 Well-Known Member

2. suzuka

suzuka Well-Known Member

get them! Dr Martens are due for a come back

3. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Well-Known Member

Again, check out Solovair.

All the Britiish made docs are expensive, primarily because of the amount they spend on marketing. Solovair give you a Brit boots for the price f a Chinese one, circa £74 - made in the old Doc Martens Northampton factory, available here.

4. herzzreh

herzzreh Well-Known Member

Opinions on these? About $100 more than "regular" ones.

[​IMG]

I ended up getting these... length-wise they are fine, but daaamn are they narrow. Is it the opposite for "regular" Dr Martens?

5. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

Are those the raf x dms? I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit I like and want the following: [​IMG] (i'd love to find these, only have a 7.5 at yoox) [​IMG] and red velvet w/satin lining... The blacks are smoove as well... not rafs.. [​IMG] and these monks: [​IMG]

6. tunnelrat

tunnelrat Well-Known Member

Again, check out Solovair.

All the Britiish made docs are expensive, primarily because of the amount they spend on marketing. Solovair give you a Brit boots for the price f a Chinese one, circa £74 - made in the old Doc Martens Northampton factory, available here.

How's the quality of these? Is it the same as MIE "vintage line" DMs?

7. Dane

Dane Well-Known Member

I ended up getting these... length-wise they are fine, but daaamn are they narrow. Is it the opposite for "regular" Dr Martens?

Bumpity bump. I like reading the posts in this thread...

I bought the RSxDM's mentioned here...they are rather tight at the moment, hoping they'll be comfortable in time.

8. gats

gats Well-Known Member

Do the classic shaped DM's fit TTS?

9. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Do the classic shaped DM's fit TTS?

I'm a standard 11 in most UK boots but find an 11 a tad narrow and a 12 a tad big, sadly they don't seem to do 11.5's. Bear in mind I've got slightly wide feet...

10. etcetera

etcetera Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  11. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

12. etcetera

etcetera Member

13. keredog

keredog Well-Known Member

@etcetera, in the last pictures of your shoes, are all of the (5) 5 eyelet shoes 8053's and the (3) 3-eyelet shoes all 1461's?

And are those 2 shoes similar in shape and design? I'm looking for a less bulbous and sleeker look.

14. FrankNine

FrankNine Active Member

My friend from Milan still rocks them, but she is pretty much a metal head so its not surprising [​IMG] she will rock them till forever!

15. Nananine

Nananine Well-Known Member

1460's + Outdoor Dan Deacon show =

[​IMG]

Although not really, because I did wipe them off two or three times before they got into this state.

On a side note, as someone with flat feet, Docs are easily the most comfortable shoes/boots I've ever worn. I don't get any more knee pain when I wear them, it's pretty awesome.

16. etcetera

etcetera Member

@etcetera, in the last pictures of your shoes, are all of the (5) 5 eyelet shoes 8053's and the (3) 3-eyelet shoes all 1461's? And are those 2 shoes similar in shape and design? I'm looking for a less bulbous and sleeker look.
    Very similar if not the same. I have four 5-eyelet, three 4-eyelet and two 3-eyelet. They feel identical to me, with the exception of padded collar and more eyelets which I prefer. I think there is no reason to get 1461 if you can get 8053 which is all that and more.

17. eightbitfit

eightbitfit New Member

I've got several pairs of boots/shoes now:

White 1460 MIC
    Black 1460 MIC
    Oxblood 1460 MIE Vintage
    Midnight blue /w blue stitches (limited) MIT
    Crazy Horse 1460 (early 90s, MIE)
    Another pair of 90s steel cap 6 eyes that are no longer made (can't recall the number)
    Fat-soled greasy gibsons (early 90s, MIE)
    Cherry red 1461 MIC, not worn yet
    Nappa black / black stitch 1461 MIC, not worn yet.

On my first pair of MIC whites the finish started lifting in some places. DM Japan replaced them for free.
    My black MICs I bought at the same time have begun to lift and crack after almost 5 months of daily wear.
    My MIE Oxbloods have also begun to crack in the toe creases.

Conclusion: In general no pair produced today is a good as the old ones, but I still remember my first pair of 1460s I bought in 1987. They also lost the finish after a while after it all cracked and began to flake off. I still love them though. They are generally inexpensive and very comfortable.

18. etcetera

etcetera Member

Lexol helps with cracks. I have a pair I never took care of and finally it cracked badly.

19. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Well-Known Member

forgiveness if this has been discussed before or is a silly question. I noticed recently that the Dr Martens MIEs I have been seeing look different than mine. The eyelets of mine are not metal......was looking to pick up some oxblood MIE shoes online, and noticed that they have metal eyelets - mine do not. Here are some photos........ [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Picked these up many many years ago at a spot that was going out of business......likely before Docs were ever made anywhere except England.... when I picked them up, I was unaware that production had moved and only recently looked at them and noticed that they were MIEs. Got them for about $15. Last pair in the store. they were missing laces and I never got around to getting new ones until recently..........have been in closet for at least 10 plus years Perhaps they are seconds of some sort. Is this eyelet normal? Of course, I see that the eyelet has metal on the inside......is it just missing a piece of the grommet that should be on the outside?

20. Fischschleim PhD.

Fischschleim PhD. Active Member

What are your thoughts on the greasy black finish?
    Would they be a good choice if you weren't exactly looking to draw a lot of attention to them? I'm guessing they would be less shiny.

Thanks